5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, Inspirational, different & classy designs
I originally had this book out on loan from the library, I renewed it four times and thought I better buy it and give some other lucky library user a chance to borrow it!
This book is a joy to read, looks beautiful on your shelf and has really useful patterns.
I have made the 'apple cosys' for my children's teachers and the pattern was well written and most...
Published 12 months ago by perpetual browser

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book But...
This is an absolutely beautiful book...I could happily look through it again and again. The paper is thick and luxurious and the photography stunning, if you enjoy a vintage whimsy, as I do.

I'm very new to crochet myself, having just started to learn a few weeks ago. I find the instructions in here quite good however they lack a little illustration, so...
Published 17 months ago by Vicki @ Cosy Books

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Introduction to Crochet, 25 April 2013
Wobette (The Wild West) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off, I would like to say - I love this book! I learnt to knit as a young child but never learnt to crochet and I have been teaching myself over the last couple of years. This book is perfect for me as I know the basics (which are covered here in clear steps) and want to start creating.

Each pattern includes details on the level of difficulty, tension if required and handy hints and tips. The projects then take you through step by step from cast on to cast off.

Sara takes the basic stitches and pushes them up a notch to allow you make some really quirky and fun designs. The slippers on page 86 are simple to follow (despite being a "level 2" project) and I had completed one for my size 6 feet in an evening. I would, however recommend you also have access to a sewing machine to get the most out of the projects.

A great book for anyone looking for a new crafting challenge and who has never tried crochet.

3.0 out of 5 stars Attractive book but perhaps not the best range of projects, 24 April 2013
K. L. Wren "K L Wren" (Herefordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been on the lookout for ideas for new crafty projects to complete on long summer evenings while camping and which can be completely handmade without having to rely on access to a sewing machine. This seemed to fit the bill perfectly.

It's a very attractive hardback book and a pleasure to browse through with its very attractive matt photography. Directions were clear throughout and easy to follow - even for someone like me who has little crocheting experience and hasn't crocheted for years. That said, it's probably not a book for a complete beginner

The book started with a useful refresher course for the lapsed crocheter and reminded me of long-forgotten stitches via easy-to-follow sketches, useful tips and a tutorial showing how to crochet onto fabric which I'd never done before, or even thought of doing, so this was an unexpected inspiration. The projects are graded from very simple, 'Starting out' to 'Moving on' and 'Confident' for the more experienced crocheter

The range of projects were vast including a cuddly bunny toy (which I made), a useful phone case, drink coasters, pot holders, the usual scarves, bookmarks, bag decorations and an inevitable blanket, but also some rather strange inclusions such as button-fastening apple cosies, bells with buttons on and a somewhat bizarre frilly trim for a pair of home-made knickers...???!!!! (Surely nobody would make this?) I think the author included this for her own amusement though rather than as a serious project! Some projects were useful, others were imaginative but I found some rather 'twee' for my taste and as for the frilly knicker trim - err no, I didn't make this!

An attractive book offering a good crochet tutorial and a broad range of crochet project ideas for varying ability levels, although they might not suit every taste.

4* for presentation
3* for content (based on my tastes)

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but not for beginners, 17 Mar 2013
pacem et amorem (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Perhaps I'm naive but when the title contains the word simple I assume that the content will be simple, easy to follow and more or less beginner level. I was therefore, ultimately to be disappointed by this beautiful book. Perhaps these patterns/ideas are simple for someone who is not a complete novice when it comes to crochet but they certainly aren't for me. I really hope that at some stage I'll be able to make some of these lovely projects as they are really nice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vintage crochet edged knickers - not in my lifetime!!, 13 Mar 2013
JK "Julie K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My first complaint with Simple Chrochet; it's a heavy, hard back book that impossible to keep open and position comfortably while you work.

My second complaint; there's nothing 'simple' about the patterns. If you doubt that then try the Vintage Linen Centrepiece or the Granny square blanket if you're new to crochet.

As a crochet novice I bought:- Crocheting For Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback)). Within a couple of days I had the necessary skills to knit my first scarf. I wore that until it fell apart I was so proud! Perfect book for complete beginners which takes you step-by-step into complex patterns and stitches. They also had the common sense to produce it with soft covers, large print and simple black and white illustrations to guide you through the different stitches. It's an easy book to position on your knee, arm of a chair, table, etc., and still be able to see what you're doing.

However; crochet is all about mastering the basic stitches. You're not going to get very far unless you can turn a circle or make a motif. This book offers a series of patterns and ideas that allow you to practice those techniques. Once you're confident you can go on and make larger items such as a throw or a bed cover. I just don't understand why their suggestions are so obscure. Here's a selection of the 'wonderful' items you can make for yourself:-

Smartphone Case
Bathroom storage vessel
Linen hand towels
Jug cover
Scalloped shelf edging

Much of the book is concerned with sewing, not crochet, and many of the items you buy and then add a crochet border, circles, square motif etc. The format's a mess and the book's not one thing or another. Where does 'vintage' even fit in?

I'd offer a couple of pieces of friendly advice before you purchase Simple Crochet:

* Look for basic instructions on the internet - there's so much to download for free.

* Cost your project before you start. Yarn is incredibly expensive. For my first few attempts I used wool I'd unpicked from cardigans and jumpers, good quality and clean, from a charity shop.

I'm not a fan of this book, not at all, but I can't rate it less than 3*. Presentation and photography are lovely and they certainly haven't skipped on content.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as simple, or as stylish, as I would have liked, 16 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Simple Crochet is a book of 35 vintage-style crochet projects. I am very new to crochet and have been looking for a decent beginner's book. I am not sure this is the book though. There is a pretty decent section at the beginning explaining how to crochet with plenty of photographs. Unfortunately I am not too impressed with the rest of the book. Firstly, I am not too keen on the designs. A lot of the projects look like something from the seventies, but they look old-fashioned rather than fashionably retro. There are a couple of cute projects, but I really don't want a house full of doilies. The other problem with the book is that a lot of the projects are for edgings and embellishments that can be sewn onto existing items. If you have a lot of household linen that you want to decorate this might be the book for you, but it's not great if you want to make some complete projects.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not So Simple, 7 Jan 2013
simon211175 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book looks the part, it's pages contain detailed instructions on how to make each of the projects, and also tells you exactly what yarn/needles etc you'll need.

However, I got this for my wife who has just started learning to crochet. She found it difficult to follow the instructions, finding it easier to go to You Tube for video demonstrations on the different stitches. She also found it hard to follow, where it would say to get a certain type of yarn but that can be substituted for a similar type - but for a beginner who would know what a similar type is?

For someone who knows what they are doing in the world of crochet, I think this book would be a good addition. For a beginner (which is how I'm basing the review as the title says "Simple Crochet"), I don't think this is what you'd want. There are more and better instructions for people learning to crochet to be found on the internet for free.

1.0 out of 5 stars SAVE YOUR MONEY - DON'T BUY IT !!, 28 Jan 2013
Bruce Boogie (Stroud UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Usually I'm a mild reviewer, few things get one star lots get ***** !!

I got this book with my daughter in mind - she's got two children and has become interested in crotchet.

It's a well bound hard back book 16.99 down to 13.59 with Amazon. The layout is good and I can't comment on the actual crotchet instructions.

More than 35 vintage-vibe projects - GREAT I thought!!

So what are they?

Apple Cosies
Egg Cosies
Crotcheted buttons for a cushion
Scalloped shelf edging
Crotcheted circles to stick on a home made iPad case
The list is endless - over 35 inspiring projects. But how about this one to top it all off ....

Frilly trim for knickers - "these really are just a bit of fun !!!!"

Well that just about caps it all but no, no and thrice times NO

A suicidal leather loose crocheted steering wheel cover where rings can get caught, fingers can be broken or torn off and it could become Exhibit A in the Crown Court case of Dangerous Driving - see page 120 for details.

Well I couldn't face giving it to my daughter - the book was tooooo embarrassing for mere words.

In my no so humble opinion this book produced by a team of experts working for Hachette/Octopus Publishing Group, is a DISASTER DARLING !!

I could be wrong, as some people appear to like it. Think seriously before spending your money on this for yourself or as a present, the lovely production does not make up for the laughable content.

Creative Makers - Simple Crotchet - Sara Sinaguglia - AVOID

5.0 out of 5 stars From my mother!, 11 July 2013
ric03 (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this as my mum has been trying to learn to crochet--since finding tapestry difficult due to arthritis. She has found it very helpful and practical to learn from, enabling her to learn the basics with simple designs (some round circles etc.) before moving onto more complex ideas (she is currently designing a patchwork shawl as well as having recently finished a 3-layered flower (and string) to fasten a present). It seems very good and she has been happy with it. The step by step instructions for each project are very clear (though she said (unavoidably) she did have to re-read some of the concepts quite a bit to translate them to practice.

All in all, I think it has been very useful. It has given her the basic grounding needed to develop the confidence to tackle whatever she likes. It has been a couple of months, now, and I still see her referring to it constantly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty, but also pretty useless, 20 Jun 2013
E. E. Hughes (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having wanted to pick up crochet for a while now I decided that this book was the book for me. Although it is very attractive to look at I did not find it very useful at all. The instructions at the beginning of the book were difficult to understand. There really needed to be more photographs of the process. Instead I looked up what I needed on the internet and am now in the process of making a multicolour granny blanket.

Browsing through the book there are a few very useless projects, like apple and egg cosies. I also would not say that all of the projects were particularly simple. They are also not organised in order of difficulty (each pattern has a handy level guide), which I found a bit frustrating. Perhaps when I am more confident I will revisit some of the projects in the book, but at the moment it is going onto my shelf to collect dust.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great for lefties, 23 May 2013
B. Roche "somethingisrotten" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great book for beginners - nice easy descriptions of techniques, good photographs, nice simple designs to start with - as long as you're right handed! Everything's set up for the right-hander, which makes it all a little bit harder for us left-handed types. Apart from the most basic steps, you have to get used to reversing the instructions, which gets a bit frustrating. I found a few online videos which helped with this, but that made this book rather obsolete.

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

Creative Makers: Simple Crochet
Creative Makers: Simple Crochet by Sara Sinaguglia (Hardcover - 3 Sep 2012)
11.89