5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, Inspirational, different & classy designs
I originally had this book out on loan from the library, I renewed it four times and thought I better buy it and give some other lucky library user a chance to borrow it!
This book is a joy to read, looks beautiful on your shelf and has really useful patterns.
Published 12 months ago by perpetual browser

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book But...
This is an absolutely beautiful book...I could happily look through it again and again. The paper is thick and luxurious and the photography stunning, if you enjoy a vintage whimsy, as I do.

Published 18 months ago by Vicki @ Cosy Books

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book But..., 17 Jan 2013
Vicki @ Cosy Books - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

I'm very new to crochet myself, having just started to learn a few weeks ago. I find the instructions in here quite good however they lack a little illustration, so abeginner may need to hop onto youtube just to check they're getting it right.

The patterns vary. I really like the apple cosy's. yes, they're pretty pointless...but cute and this will be good practice for crocheting rounded shapes. There's a lot of stuff I would never bother with...like a leather steering wheel cover!

Overall a truley beautiful book, but practically speaking probably not the greatest out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking a certain something, 10 Jan 2013
Bee of Good Cheer (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Crochet doesn't seem to be having as much of a renaissance as knitting, which surprises me a little in some ways, as it is both easier to learn, and more portable. I guess it still suffers from the slightly old fashioned image of granny square blankets and crochet doilies. There is a fine line between retro chic and retro ugly...

So, does this book manage to make crochet retro chic? I really don't think that it does. And I'm not entirely sure it entirely works as a good beginner's guide to the craft, either.

First, the good points:

1. The photos - lots of them, clear, detailed and colourful. Helpful in the techniques section, and very stylish in the projects section.
2. The author's voice - friendly, chatty and encouraging
3. The how-to section - clear, covers most of the basics well
4. The suppliers page - not just the usual suspects, but some nice independents as well, who are available online
5. The pattern instructions - clear and easy to follow

And now, the bits I think could have been better:

1. The finishing of the projects - FAR too many of them rely on crochet being used as trim on sewn items, or require lining in some way. There's very little instruction on the techniques needed for this, and it could be off putting. It's off putting to me, and I've been sewing for the best part of forty years (did I really say that?). If I want to sew a handbag and attach motifs to it, I'll buy a book on making handbags...
2. The types of project - whilst it's nice to have items for every area of the home, who these days uses a jug cover? Or steering wheel cover? Or crochet doilies, even in an ironic manner?
3. The patterns - I know it's called "Simple Crochet" but the motifs (especially, and there are a lot of them) are dull and unimaginative. There are better - free - patterns out there
4. The information on yarn - yarn is incredibly important. If you can't get the specified yarn, you aren't really given the knowledge about yarn weights, types and composition to make good decisions (as a beginner) to make effective substitutions. A number of the projects were made by the author in unavailable yarn (unless you have access to Italian sources) and yet the finished projects are photographed only in the author's original yarns and not the specified substitutions, so you can't tell exactly what your finished project will look like

After reading this book, I was inspired to pick up my crochet hook again, but not to do any of the projects in this book I'm afraid. A nice try, but ultimately it falls short for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better, 4 Jan 2013
Sheenagh Pugh "Sheenagh Pugh" (Shetland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter and I, both total beginners, have both tried this book out. So far my daughter's got really into it and has made several small items. I've figured out how to do 2 basic stitches.

So far, so good... but the diagrams and instructions are sometimes not as clear as the author thinks. It's not easy to tell others how to do something that you're good at, and that seems obvious and simple to you - as anyone who ever had a maths teacher can testify. In her book "Simple Knitting" a few years ago, Erika Knight did this very well; this author is less adept. The diagrams need to be bigger and there could be more of them, illustrating more stages. I figured out the chain stitch OK, but could not fathom what she meant in the instructions for the slip stitch until Daughter demonstrated - and she herself had to go online to get further instructions for things that were unclear to her.

On the plus side, there are patterns for several small items that are easy to make and which give an incentive to learn. At least, the mats and quilt squares do. But many of the items are infuriatingly twee, useless and a bit too Country Lady for my liking - who on earth wants an "apple cosy", in this world or the next? I suppose they provide practice, but I'd have more incentive to carry on if I thought I was making something more useful and less pretentious. Maybe this is the nature of crochet, I haven't yet got far enough to be sure!

3.0 out of 5 stars Retro, for the wrong reasons., 17 Jan 2013
Squeebles (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
(reviewed by my girlfriend!)

Crochet generally suffers from an image problem and being forever associated with the 1970s and granny's beaded milk jug cover, multi coloured sofa throws and piles of coasters, doilies and decorative circle patches made by people who never cracked crochet beyond basic circles. This book does, sadly, nothing to improve on that image.

Arguably the book embraces naff crochet, calling it "vintage vibe", but make no mistake - this is beautifully presented 70s style home-made, and some would say, tat. Complete with beige 70s colours and faded backgrounds.

'70s style is completely personal choice, and the patterns here are reasonably clear to follow. (Although they are way too complex for an absolute beginner, unless you've got a helpful friend who can walk you through them.) The book layout is absolutely charming. But I do have two reservations about the patterns.

The author uses some very pricey, designer yarns, and there are no notes about what yarns could be substituted in their place. A lot of the patterns are for adding crocheted embellishments to other items, such as towels, pillowcases, and knickers (really). What the book doesn't mention is that once you add these embellishments the item becomes unwashable, so only good for a single use. (Yes, you could wash your grotty knickers with the delightful crochet trim very gently in cold water by hand if you really wanted, but you'll then spend an hour carefully ironing that itchy trim back into place.)

A first glance a lovely, charming, enthralling pattern book. On second glance, not so much.

1.0 out of 5 stars poorly done, with little or nothing for the beginner or the more experienced, 6 April 2013
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was initially taught to crochet by my mother, when I was about six years of age, and in the intervening years I have made crocheted items ranging from pram covers, baby and adult bed blankets to jumpers, cardigans, tops, dresses and shawls; and never once have I wasted wool on an apple cosy!

Wool and crochet thread are expensive items and you have to be sure of what you want to make before laying out all that moolah. Even when I have had a partial ball left over I have used it to make blanket (oops sorry that should be "quilt") squares - at least when put together they will keep you warm during a cold snowy winter.

This book does nothing to forward the cause of crocheting - if anything it does the reverse and puts it firmly back in the stereotypical doillie and granny knickers frills (I kid you not). There are "face cloths" which I can remember my Nan making from the short scraps of wool that couldn't be used for anything else. She, however, used them as floor cloths.

Though I will say that one of the worst items is on page 120 - a "Leather Steering Wheel Cover".

This loose fitting cover with large loops would be a significant danger to use while driving all it would take is for it to slip on the steering wheel as you were trying to negotiate a bend or traverse a traffic island and you could end up in a serious accident. Aside from which, if I was going to expend the sort of money that would be required to purchase leather cord I would certainly not be using it on something so shoddy and so incredibly dangerous.

The instructions are poorly done. Please believe me that crocheting is one of the easiest crafts to use and to see the mess that the "author" has made of the easiest stitch makes me cringe.

The way Ms Singuglia holds the hook and yarn is completely opposed to the way I was taught. She holds it like a knitting needle hook upward where as I hold it like a pen (hook downward) that way I can control the turn of the hook better with just the slightest manipulation of finger and thumb.

It may also explain why her images look so awkward and her descriptions are so cack-handed.

Never have I seen a more inept way of producing a starting slipknot, nor a more problematic way of performing a slipstitch (which she admits is one of "the most basic stitches, apart from the chain" - well I suppose I should be grateful that she acknowledges that the chain is basic.

After spending several weeks trying to find something that might be positive for beginners or the more experienced crochet makers, I am afraid that other than the scarf on page 134 there is nothing I would bother with in this book, not even the instructions.

I have been left wondering if Sara Singuglia has ever crocheted in her life, or if she just sat there on her laptop looking up patterns on Google (other search engines, as they say, are available).

Never has a company been so aptly named - "Hatchette" - because, in my opinion, they have done a complete hatchet job on crocheting.

2.0 out of 5 stars simple crochet, 5 Jan 2013
Helen Lore Zetter "helen zetter" (wisboroughgreen w.susex u.k.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was most interested to get this book.But on opening it I found it somewhat dull,and not that helpful.The instructions to learn to crochet are not enthusiastic enough to make the whole worth learning.Having done this sort of handy craft all my life,I did not see how someone new to the art would want to follow it through to actually make anything worth while.To crochet squares and then make a blanket say with left over wools might be quite fun,but who on earth would want to make an apple cover.At first when I read about it I thought maybe it is me who finds this odd,but on asking friends what they made of it,everyone said no,not for me,we would rather have a clean small plastic bag with our apples,and we do not bang our bags arround so that our apples become bruised.The little toy which a small child might love, I found the only suggestion that was worth having a go at,but there again it is not the easiest thing to make for a beginner,but I am sure that would find favour in making, as when giving it as a gift, it would certainly be popular.Covers for various pots etc.well maybe on the dressing table,but otherwise within the home I do think dust would collect,hence not my thing either,

3.0 out of 5 stars A nicely put together book, but I was not so keen on the retro, too 70's I think., 25 Dec 2012
elsie purdon "reads too much" (dorset uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In many ways this is a very attractive well produced book. The photography is excellent providing clear guides to beginners instructions and lovely images of the finished designs.

The book gives out a vibe of "home-making" that is comforting to a point, but to be honest too many of the projects are just too frilly and unnecessary for me.
I am not going to want to crochet lacy coasters or put a frilly edging on my knickers :-) Ever!

A lot of the projects are decorative like adding bits of crochet onto fabric as an ipad cover, or smartphone cover. Not my style.
Too fussy.
What I did like were the apple cosies, (practical and attractive) and a very sweet crocheted bunny that I am definitely going to make for a grandchild. There is also a well designed Granny Square Blanket.

This is a hardback book that will give you some ideas but you may not like many of the items and I think there are better books for beginners.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price, 24 Nov 2012
Chinatown Blue "cthulhoid" (S-O-T, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If the title gave you the idea that this is a good book for beginners in the art of crochet, then like me I'm afraid you'd be wrong. The designs offered here are indeed mostly simple to the point of dullness, but that in itself is enough to put a novice off from what can be a most enjoyable way to produce beautiful things. And for the most part it is not really a crochet book at all.

There are 33 basic patterns, a small number of them with colour variants or variations on motif use. Of those patterns at least ten involve a good deal more sewing than crochet, since the actual crochet parts are merely motifs or edgings to be added to handsewn or bought items like the linen runner or the Frilly Trim for Knickers. Another three are as much sewing (or in one case, framing) as crochet. Five are simply pointless and even ugly (I was particularly underwhelmed by the Leather steering wheel cover, which is actually a wide crochet mesh chainstitched from leather cord); another eight at best very dull and not worth the effort of making. Of all the patterns there are only seven which I would even consider working, and I have seen patterns for very similar items equally attractive for free on the internet. On top of that, the book does not easily stay open on the page so you can refer to the pattern while working - you would have to weight it down with something heavy to be able to use it.

On the positive side, this book is nice to look at, with some very attractive photographs, and it feels pleasant to hold (apart from the impracticality of it for use while working the patterns). The basic crochet instructions given for beginners are fairly good, with clear illustrations, though no better than I have seen in any other crochet book.

So on the whole I'd say this is very poor value for money. If you want something to impress trendy friends on your coffee table, I suppose it might do, but if you want a good guide for novice crocheters or a selection of nice vintage patterns, I would definitely look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, Inspirational, different & classy designs, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Creative Makers: Simple Crochet (Hardcover)
I have made the 'apple cosys' for my children's teachers and the pattern was well written and most importantly it worked!
I find a lot of other crochet books old-fashioned, but this book has gorgeous patterns which I can't wait to hook up, and modern takes on vintage crochet, such as intricate shelf edging and table placements.
Love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars My wife and teenage daughter thought this book had a lot of good simple crotchet knitting ideas, 26 April 2013
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife and 18 year old daughter like art & crafts, knitting and sewing, plus they are both very active in the Brownies/Girl Guides and the Duke of Edinburgh award that can include craft handywork skills. So they are always looking out for new craft ideas, and were pleased to get this 'Simple Crochet' book. My wife has always enjoyed elegant lace making, but that's so painfully slow. Crochet is a far simpler and faster method for making usable little round doilies, and this book has quite a few suggestions on knitting these, with 35 projects in total. The doilies can be used as mini table mats & coasters, napkins, or jar/bowl covers, and there's projects to use them as decoration on table runners, bags, phone cases, and suchlike.

Other crochet patterns include making scarfs, wrist warmers, little animals/dolls and their clothes, pencil/storage pots, seat covers, or the classic mini-squares blanket. There's even suggestions for making flannels and towels. Some others are decidedly oddball, like making a string vest for your car steering wheel or little jackets for fresh apples (the 'Apple Cosies' shown on the book cover). The books ideas are themed around: the kitchen, living room, bedroom, bathroom, children's rooms and out and about.

To get going you will also need a crochet hook or two, some fibre (e.g. yarn or crochet thread), fine scissors, and a tapestry needle can be useful to weave in the ends when you've finished. We also use a 6" and 12" metal ruler to check the gauge.

In the front of the book there's 29 pages of advice on the basics of crochet knitting. The books filled with pretty photos and there's 143 pages in total. The hard back book size is 25 x 20 x 2 cm, and the book is very well bound and presented. The pretty pastel colours emphasise the book is very much for the ladies, with the only boy in the book being too young to realise how girly it all is (there's certainly no boy friendly knit your own centipede patterns). The book's quite conservative and aimed more at simple projects, as suggested in the title, and the women in the house rate it highly for those interested in basic crochet knit ideas and advice, so 4*.

Creative Makers: Simple Crochet
Creative Makers: Simple Crochet by Sara Sinaguglia (Hardcover - 3 Sep 2012)
11.89