TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 May 2014
I picked this up as inspiration for a garden design course I am taking and I am very pleased. It is full of excellent photographs and with lots of ideas for materials to use or new ways to use commonplace materials to give an edge to a garden. The author founded a garden design school and is a practising designer at the same time so the book is borne of experience.

Overall, the design emphasis is more contemporary than traditional although there are examples or more traditional gardens and materials. The planting ideas are excellent and I like the fact that there are sections covering maintenance & garden housekeeping. There are chapters devoted to boundaries, water, planting & materials as well as more general introduction to the principles of garden design. Each chapter has a case study and there are tips on 'how to' achieve certain effects e.g. a Mediterranean garden, cottage garden.

This is a very useful addition to the bookshelves for both students and those designing their own gardens who I think will benefit from the ideas that a practising garden designer can offer that might not occur to an amateur.
on 18 October 2013
This book is packed with beautiful, inspiring photos. This is balanced well by the amount of useful information about garden design and maintenance. The content is helpful whether you are starting from scratch, or want some ideas to improve your current garden design.

It covers a wide range of design topics including themes, visual tricks, water, materials and garden buildings. The text is presented in well-organised sections and bullet points, covering important considerations and case studies. The '15 ways to...' at the start of each section is a nice feature. I found this book very inspiring, and it also looks good on the coffee table!
on 2 August 2015
I had looked at some of the other books available on small gardens and whilst interesting, not quite what I was looking for. The RHS book by Andrew Wilson explores all themes on creating a small garden not just the contemporary, as some do. It is very simply written and has a pleasing mix of text and pictures.
I bought the hardback edition which, of course, always has an aesthetic enhancement.
on 7 August 2013
Great practical ideas for our small garden with illustrations of the flowers for different types of display. The height and spread of each suggested plant is very useful.
on 9 April 2014
This is a lovely book both for its excellent illustrations and great ideas for small gardens. It deals with every aspect of making a small garden into a little 'paradise'. It is the sort of book you can dip into at any time,for ideas and inspiration.
on 24 April 2016
Good ideas,, good pictures, not stating what plants are being used lets it down badly.
on 12 December 2013
I am very pleased with 'Small Garden Handbook'. It was purchased for a Christmas present for our son, and I have enjoyed every page!

Packaging of parcel was excellent, and it was delivered in very good time.
on 4 January 2014
Well laid book and extremely informative even for non gardeners, my friend has discovered lots of good ideas which she hopes to put into practice.
on 3 December 2013
It did what I wanted. Gave me several ideas for improving a small area. Ideal for city or town dwellers.
on 11 October 2014
Well presented book with some innovative ideas. We have just moved and are planning our new garden - so this will be great!