on 8 January 2014
Dick & his son have written a modern easy reading highly accurate classic that will be around for a long time and be used by many many people who prefer to prepare their own food rather than take the lesser stuff found in most shops , butchers and supermarkets.

The book covers just about everything you can smoke in hot or cold wood smoke, the recipes are easy to read and have been proven over and over again.

I'm delighted & honoured to be able to be able to recommend this book to anyone thinking of ,or who are even remotely interested in curing or smoking your own foods

I've Kindled this edition , read it five times in 12 days from stat to fin as well as going back and forth within it many times and will be getting the hard backed edition as I want to flick back and forth over certain sections ( this is not so easy on a Kindle Lite .

Hat's off to both of you guys and your families ... you're onto a real winner over and over again.

PS I've recently cold smoked my first 4 lb. of cheese chunks , then cured and smoked 500 gram of farmed salmon ( can't afford fresh line caught Atlantic salmon yet ).

Our New Years Day breakfast was our eating some of our home smoked cheese and salmon on crackers ,cheese crackers and water biscuits whilst sipping Strawbery Sekt
You're right , shop or super market sourced stuff are not a patch on the home smoked foods .
on 6 July 2012
This is an excellent little book for those who are interested in having a go at curing and or smoking their own food. Even old hands like me will pick up a few new tips.
on 15 January 2013
Bought this book as a guide to starting smoking and have found it inspirational. All the advice is clear and simply explained and so far everything we've tried has been great. Recommended!
on 22 January 2013
I already have another Dick and James book and love that (Self-sufficiency)

Although have yet to try making anything from the book - I have read it and think it is simply written and easy to understand.
There are a few things I am looking forward to making - am hoping to have a couple of pigs this year - so will need to be able to process them - so will come in useful then.

Written to appeal to both men and women - another great and useful book.
on 16 February 2016
I was looking forward to this book having just started curing and smoking and coming fresh from doing a course on it but was deeply disappointed, it just doesn't tell you enough about methods with just an odd page or two about the different techniques and then recipes which I found some contradicted the advice given in previous pages.

I downloaded the kindle sample and as with most of the kindle samples you just get the prologue waffle and no actual techniques to see how good the book is.

As another has said very amateurish but will probably sell well due to their celebrity status.

There's much better books out there to spend your time and money on. This arrived yesterday and is being returned today as not fit for purpose.
on 3 September 2012
This is a great book for novice's like me who are interested in curing and smoking food at home.

The book gives helpfull information on all aspects of curing and smoking as well as some good recipes to use once you have cured or smoked your own food. A good book to purchase for anyone just starting off.
on 25 February 2013
Another great book I purchased writeen by Dick and James Strawbridge. They explain things to well and their methods for curing and smoking look so straightforward. I am looking forward to starting smoking and curing fish and meat.
on 2 December 2013
Perfect for first timers with easy to follow steps and instructions. Have made a few things out of here with positive results
on 31 August 2015
This is a great book. It's direct and simple. I made my own bacon and smoked it after following Dick and James Strawbridge's instructions. It was delicious and so much more tasty than supermarket bacon. Now to try some of the other recipes. Smoked salmon next I think. A great buy. Highly recommended.
on 4 August 2014
A great book to start with curing meat, this is currently giving me advice on making pastrami and bacon. Very insightful book, and has a god selection of recipes. The book has 21 methods of curing, smoking and salting. The rest of the book are recipes based around the different types of cures.