5.0 out of 5 stars The proof is in the pudding
When I told my friends that I had this book, they all said "Patrick Cox the shoe man making cupcakes?" - Yes! With the help of Eric Lanlard, patissier to the stars.

Published on 19 July 2011 by Mrs. A. L. Cooper

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book but recipe failed miserably
Published on 21 Jan 2012 by SarahLiv

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book but recipe failed miserably, 21 Jan 2012
This review is from: Cox Cookies & Cake (Hardcover)
Purchased this book due to its fabulous photographs & intending to use it to support a scheme of work I was teaching at school (I am an art teacher!). To this end it really is a beautiful & inspired design. But having attempted to make the cola cakes (& I am an experienced & pretty successful cook & baker) I am reluctant to invest in further ingredients. Have any other readers/purchasers had a similar experience I wonder? I have emailed the publisher to enquire about how they test their recipes.
In short - looks amazing as a coffee table book but I suspect this is not serious cook book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth buying!, 23 Sep 2011
This review is from: Cox Cookies & Cake (Hardcover)
I'm an experienced baker and was extremely disappointed with the recipes in this book. I have tried several and the texture and taste of the cake was horrible.

5.0 out of 5 stars The proof is in the pudding, 19 July 2011
Mrs. A. L. Cooper "Anita" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cox Cookies & Cake (Hardcover)

It's an interesting combination. And dazzling in more ways than one. The design and layout of the book is bright and bold with a large helping of neon. The cakes are very easy to make and there are no boundaries as to how you decorate them. This book allows you to put faces, bums and tums on the top of the cupcakes if you wish... but if you opt out of that, the cakes themselves are stand alone delicious. I made some chocolate cupcakes and ran out of time to make the frosting and toppings.. but they were still demolished within moments. The tiramisu cupcakes actually tasted like tiramisu.. the Lemon Meringue cupcakes and Zesty Lemon and White Chocolate cupcakes were equally well received by my willing guinea pig testers..

I've got a few more earmarked for making... Marshmallow Rice bars - to make with the kids in the summer holidays when it's raining, Double Chocolate and Marshmallow Cookies for my friends when they come over for a coffee, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes, specifically requested by my husband and the Apple Crumble cupcakes for the other times of day when I'm not eating the other cupcakes.

Hours of fun, pages and pages of ideas and not short of inspiration. Great book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hideous waste of resources, 8 May 2012
N. Derbyshire (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cox Cookies & Cake (Hardcover)
I was bought this book as a gift and that is the only reason I have it!
If I had picked this up in a book shop I would have been put off instantly by the hideously garish photographs of cakes so brightly coloured and covered in glitter that they hardly look edible. If I'd have kept it in my hands long enough to read the recipes, having a decent amount of baking experience, I would have noticed that some of the recipes contain errors (like no sugar) and that the majority were not in enough detail for anyone new to baking to have any success with them.
Some of the flavour combinations are inspiring, however this is blatantly a book thrown together by "celebrities" wanting to cash in on the baking boom. And that is usually my reason for never buying a celebrity cook/baking book.
In my opinion all cook/baking books should be independently peer reviewed and the recipes tested. All cook/baking books that I have that have been through this process seem to yield never fail recipes. Celebrity cook book should undergo the same scrutiny if they are to be taken seriously.
Take my advice. Unless you are an extremely seasoned baker, akin to Mary Berry, so you can spot the errors a mile away and correct them, don't bother with this book. You'll only be disappointed when the recipe you try either fails or is really bland. If my copy wasn't a gift I'd be selling it right now!
Hope this helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fancy a touch of the Raymond Revue bar in your kitchen?, 15 July 2011
This review is from: Cox Cookies & Cake (Hardcover)
Fancy a touch of the Raymond Revue bar in your kitchen? Cox Cookies & Cake is the book based on the Soho cupcake bakery created by UK based French patissier Eric Lanlard and fashion designer Patrick Cox.

The 75 recipes are predominantly cupcakes with two chapters on cookies, bars and biscuits. Reading is like stepping through a narrow alley off Brewer Street, it's dark with neon graphics. Glitter balls and leather feature as props.

The soft cover gives the impression of shiny PVC, the graphics are reminiscent of Soft Cell's Non Stop Erotic Cabaret album. Endpapers show pictures from seedy venues and their shop - it's up to the reader to discern which is which.

This isn't a book that takes itself seriously. Presumably it's the first cookery book ever to feature the word "semen" in lights (page 36, it's actually a cropped photo of sign saying "basement"). I fear to google the phrase "cock rings" but suspect that the adornment on top of "crown cupcakes" looks like one.

Like Marc Almond's eyeliner and bangles invading a Top of the Pops episode otherwise filled with Shaking Stevens and Buck's Fizz, Cox Cookies and Cake is an antidote to any notion that baking books need be saccharine.

The styling chapter gets surprisingly involved with sugarcraft; "cheeky" cupcakes present an opportunity to paint a thong on edible paste bottoms; chocolate gets moulded into skulls.

Two cupcakes on the front cover are not featured inside; Andy Warhol Marilyns and bicep curling arms. Presumably the former are printed with edible ink. Having seen a similar technique on Bakerella, I was hoping to see how to make them. The latter look very similar to "man cakes" but this should be spelled out. It's poor show to feature something on the cover of a cookery book that's not inside don't you think?

Lust list:
Cola cupcakes indented with perkily erect cola bottle sweets, luscious cherry topped Black Forest cupcakes; gluten free Provencal orange cupcakes are oozing with appeal. "Summer Flowers" cupcakes are arty and the Nanaimo bars are positively seductive.

Sex bombed out:
The hedgehog cupcakes forsake cuteness for cartoonish headlamp staring fear. They look really weird. Likewise, bunnies devoid of any Playboy reference, splattered eyeballs and holly seem out of place and shoe horned in to tick boxes of Easter, Hallowe'en and Christmas. The cookies lack the glamour attempted elsewhere. Titty cupcakes look like something out of Benny Hill.

Verdict:
Definitely different but some of the kid focused and healthy options don't sit comfortably with the concept. There are a number of recipes I'd like to try although the presentation of the book is distractingly similar to a Smash Hits Annual. Still, if I ever require a cupcake decorated with someone's bum I'll know where to look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Present for myself, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: Cox Cookies & Cake (Hardcover)
Love this book. Little but naughty and a little bit nice.
Very inspiring for anyone who loves baking. Also includes fat free and gluten free recipe's.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cox Cookies and Cake, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Cox Cookies & Cake (Hardcover)
Only made the Triple chocolate cupcakes so far, and found them to be a bit dry. I may have cooked them too long though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dee-vahn!, 13 Nov 2012
This review is from: Cox, Cookies, & Cake (Hardcover)
Bought this book for my friend in South Africa who is a bit of a cupcake queen. I knew nothing about the book but she had seen it written about in a magazine, researched it and found that it was too expensive for her to purchase in South Africa so I sent it to her - she loves it and has already started baking from it. She says it is "dee-vahn" and 'a bit naughty'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Cox Cookies & Cake (Hardcover)
I love this book. The recipes do work and they taste really good. The photography is fun, very well done and represents the area where Eric Lanlard and Patrick Cox have their shop. It's about making more edgy and stylish cakes instead of ordinary cup cakes with boring sprinkles - to inspire you to do something different.

5.0 out of 5 stars cox cookies & cakes, 28 July 2012
This review is from: Cox Cookies & Cake (Hardcover)
A mouthwatering selection of baking. A must for all ages. Some fabulous ideas for the eye catching end result. Will be well used.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cox Cookies & Cake
Cox Cookies & Cake by Patrick Cox (Hardcover - 4 July 2011)
Used & New from: 1.70