I have been vegetarian for 20 years and have a whole shelf of unread cookery books, foisted upon me by well meaning friends. However, when I saw Simon Rimmer on TV I decided this was one book I actually wanted - and it was an excellent choice.

Published on 1 Jan 2007 by F. W. Bristow

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on 22 May 2011 by Nicola A

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent food that happens to be vegetarian, rather than freak food!, 1 Jan 2007

The food in it is simple enough for me to make (in the past I have done more "heating up" than "cooking") and yet they are delicious enough to please my meat-eating partner. Too often people make dishes for me specially, but it's something they wouldn't eat themself! This is the opposite - just what I want to get my teeth into. The fact that there's no meat or fish is incidental.

I think the key is that it was written by someone who loves food and is not a vegetarian, so he has worked at creating dishes which satisfy anyone - not just veggies. It's real, tasty food - not freak food! There's no overemphasis on lentils or aubergine, instead it's full of things I really want to eat. I'm starting to enjoy cooking!

Recommended not just for veggies but for those who cater for them and want to please everyone with the same dish!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for meat eaters, 29 Oct 2004
By A Customer
I've decided to cut down on meat recently and this is a great book to get started in the world of vegetarian dishes - nothing boring or bland here! The very great majority of recipes are quite simple and quick, and definitely packed with flavour.
Other veggie books I'd looked at offered quite boring recipes and lots of salads that didn't seem to pack much fun, but this book will definitely make your tastebuds happy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 May 2011
This review is from: The Accidental Vegetarian: Delicious food without meat (Paperback)
Bought this after reading loads of the good reviews on amazon, I'm not a vegetarian but wanted more veggie ideas for meals as don't like to eat excessive amounts of meat. As lots of veggie books do, this book has a huge amount of recipes that contain cheese, which really is not a healthy substitute for meat and not healthy to have in most meals! Also my biggest annoyance with this cookbook is that only a few recipes show pictures of the result, I much prefer cookbooks that have pictures of every recipe so you know what they're supposed to end up looking like and also give you inspiration as to what to make and what you fancy. Have barely used this cookbook as a result and shouldn't have wasted my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas for Veggie cooking, 4 Sep 2006
I got this book the other day and really love it. It has lots of more unusual recipe ideas and really breaks the mould of vegetarian cookery. The sweets are delicious and overall the recipes are relatively easy in terms of ingredients (getting of) and actual cooking. Another vegetarian cook I would recommend is Sarah Brown, who has inspired me for 20 years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Desserts, 15 Jan 2008
Teefer Tiger "TeeferTiger" (Conwy County, North Wales) - See all my reviews
It's worth buying for the desserts alone which I guess technically are vegetarian but you could get the same stuff out of another book.

However, I'm a carnivore and was looking for a book to buy that has stuff in I would actually eat as I'm trying to get more fruit and veg down my neck. And this book fulfils that need. It has stuff in there that a fussy veg eater (like myself) would actually want to eat and not just stuff like nut roasts, veg casseroles etc.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vegetarian extrodinaire..., 27 Jan 2006
I have found his recipes inspiring, delicious and an excellent way to eat veg instead of meat/chicken. It is original and the sort of foods I enjoy eating! For example the arrabiata is so simple but very tasty and so are the pumpkin enchiladas!

I can't recommend this book enough. Having many recipe books this is one of the main ones I use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Veggie Cookbook, 9 Mar 2009
Generally a good book for vegetarians and their meat-eating family and friends. Uses a lot of different (but not too hard to find) ingredients to keep away from too many vegetarian cliches. Quite a good mix of simple and more complex dishes for different occasions. It assumes a bit of cooking knowledge, but not too much.

Would observe that a lot of the recipes are for big quantities, "feeds 6" is a regular through the book. That's fine for bigger families or entertaining, but some of the recipes are more awkward to scale down for smaller quantities. Not really a book for those cooking for one regularly.

Overall, a pretty good buy judged by the fact that I have already cooked more recipes from it than I do from most cookbooks, and would eat most of them again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dinner Party Winner, 19 Feb 2009
I certainly agree with the sentiments of all those reviewers who comment that the dishes in this book would have a hardened carnivore hardly notice the lack of meat on their plate...Every dish I have created has been so flavoursome I almost felt I was eating in Green's itself rather than at my dining table.

The Zucotto recipe has proved a real crowd pleaser and I have served it at many a dinner party... instead of using dark chocolate through both layers, try it with white chocolate around the outside and dark in the middle... you will not be disappointed.

Pan haggarty... a little time consuming but oh so worth the effort...

Gnocchi (made from scratch ... far easier than one might imagine) with wild mushroom & rosemary ragu.... wow...just writing this review is making me hungry...

Every recipe I have tried in this book has been a success..In addition, the photographs are fabulous.. a very sleek modern production with comments and anecdotes from Simon scattered through. Yesterday I bought his new book, The Seasoned Vegetarian.. i hope to be equally as pleased with that as I have been with The Accidental Vegetarian.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recipes, 22 July 2007
I am always a little skeptical, when I pick up a Vegetarian Cookbook, that has been written by a self-avowed meat-eater, but this book is a pleasant surprise, as the recipes are not only fresh and sometimes original, but also easy to prepare.

My only gripe with it, and the reason why I have given it 4 stars instead of 5, is because I feel most of the recipes rely far too heavily on dairy and eggs. In fact, I counted quite a lot of eggs for just one recipe. I don't believe that overconsumption of dairy produce and eggs is acceptible from a health point of view. But I hope that people would relaise that a lot of these recipes can be cooked for special treats and dinner parties.

My main reason for buying this book, is because I have eaten at the author's restaurant and I was very impressed with it and I wanted to see what other delicacies I have been missing out on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have book!, 12 May 2007
LA-TOYA FORD (Manchester, England.) - See all my reviews
I moved to Manchester 7 months ago and everyone I knew recommended Greens, the quality of food there is amazing & Simon has done a great job. I decided to get his book after seeing alot of him on the Sunday tv show. I've been a vegetarian for a year and was getting bored, but this book has given my zest for being vegetarian a new life.

The recipes are simple & I like the comments he leaves between recipes. The Moroccon Spaghetti is delicious! Giving the Plantain & Mango curry a go tomorrow. Highly recommend the book and please try his restaurant Greens if you're in Manchester. Book early tho!

Fantastic chef.

The Accidental Vegetarian: Delicious food without meat
The Accidental Vegetarian: Delicious food without meat by Simon Rimmer (Paperback - 1 Mar 2010)
9.89