5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific. Indispensable.
This is a great book, and I would recommend it unreservedly to any keen whisky explorer.
Published on 30 Nov 2010 by Nick Foster

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book...but
Published 16 months ago by HPVEE

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific. Indispensable., 30 Nov 2010
This review is from: The World Atlas of Whisky (Hardcover)
It clearly sits alongside the great Michael Jackson's Whisky: The definitive world guide to scotch, bourbon and whiskey. Although it doesn't have the terrific 50 pages of detail about production methods that you find in that book, I've found I'm learning more from Dave Broom. There's something on every single page about why each whisky tastes as it does, including notes about the new make spirit. Tasting notes tend to follow flavour development with age. Grouping whiskies into broad flavour camps (nod to David Wishart's fascinating Whisky Classified), and suggesting `Where next?' whiskies also helps, with a classic flavour map of around 80 whiskies too. This closer focus on the actual whiskies, combined with detailed flowcharts outlining the different production methods of malt, grain, Irish and bourbon production means that I prefer this book. The sections on Irish, American and Japanese whiskies are an education. If you buy this book you may well find you'll be buying more whisky!

There's real attention to detail throughout, and all done with a warmth, humour and lightness of touch that almost allows you to forget the sheer level of expertise you're taking advantage of. One final thought - I don't normally go for books with big colour pictures (just give me the information!) But the thoughtful photography is an added bonus which I've found simply adds to my appreciation of this as a reference book more than coffee table book. Thanks Dave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful coffee table book, 22 Nov 2010
This review is from: The World Atlas of Whisky (Hardcover)
Beautiful book for your coffee table with fantastic photos. Each whisky has at least a whole page dedicated to it with a nice history of the distillery, and tasting notes on the different bottlings available.

I would recommend this for anyone getting into whisky who wants a nice reference/coffee table book which isn't too pretentious

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and intimidatingly well informed, 11 Dec 2010
This review is from: The World Atlas of Whisky (Hardcover)
The photographs are worth the book's price in themselves, but this book has a lot more to offer than that. I live in Japan and kid myself I know a bit about the country and its whisky, but the chapter on Japan taught me something on every page. Broom is absolutely sure in his knowledge of Japanese whisky but writes lyrically in a light easy-to-read style. The "flavor camp" classifications are a great idea, dividing whiskies according to simple, easy to understand characteristics (peaty and smoky etc.) and allowing the reader to cross reference whiskies of those types from across the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The World Atlas of Whiskey, 6 April 2011
This review is from: The World Atlas of Whisky (Hardcover)
Whether you are a lover of Scotland's finest product, or just enjoy a good read, this book is excellent.
It is an excellent guide to whisky & its many varied flavours & nuances, as well as roviding a great deal of background information to be read over a dram or two!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Sofa than Coffee Table, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: The World Atlas of Whisky (Hardcover)
I was given this as a present and thought it would a delightful coffee table book.
However, - this has become absorbing evening and bedtime reading.
Well written, not preaching or academic but absorbing and informative with some delightful photography that sends all of those of us that have been to the highlands straight back there

I have at least 11 single malts open at any one time in my whisky library and this has had hugely to both my pleasure in those that I have and my desire for further exploration. An investment for any whisky lover or interested palate

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for comparing and learning about distilleries, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: The World Atlas of Whisky (Hardcover)
Awesome guide that explains origin and flavour of any whiskey I ever encountered so far.
I am especially fond of this book because I am not a whiskey aficionado, rather a casual consumer of whiskey.
The comparison chart in this book allows me to find more of the sort of whiskeys that I like - they place them according to their characteristics in a 2x2 chart, so you can find other whiskeys that taste similar.
All whiskeys and distilleries are well explained and the pictures make it a nice coffee table book (or shall I say whiskey table).
Price felt justified and I am quite happy after having this book now for about half a year in my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teriffic book, teriffic bloke, 31 May 2014
S. R. Taylor - See all my reviews
This review is from: The World Atlas of Whisky (Hardcover)
Beautiful photography, poetic prose, quality printing. An excellent, well-researched and classy book.

I rarely give five stars; this is worth six.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: The World Atlas of Whisky (Hardcover)
This book Will make a great gift for anyone who likes a whisky or two, very readable and well illustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for my Dad, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: The World Atlas of Whisky (Hardcover)
This was a gift for my Dad for Christmas. I don't know anything about whiskey but my Dad really loves it. As this book came so highly recommended on the reviews I got it for him. He absolutely loved it! Really pleased with the reaction. Would recommend this product for the whiskey lover.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book...but, 23 May 2013
This review is from: The World Atlas of Whisky (Hardcover)
I saw this book in one of the distilleries in Speyside. Lovely presentation and detailed description of the distilling methods and history of distillers worldwide. A good reference for those technical details - but has the author ever tasted malt whisky? His descriptions are, in all the cases where I have had experience are, totally at odds with mine. One of us needs to go back to the drawing board and I'm going to enjoy re-tasting to see if I can match David's interpretation.

The World Atlas of Whisky
The World Atlas of Whisky by Dave Broom (Hardcover - 4 Oct 2010)
Usually dispatched within 9 to 11 days