4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners
Published on 29 Mar 2010 by Sue H

1.0 out of 5 stars allotment guide
rubbish for the money - a lot better books on the market with more detailed information - I pre ordered it but was very disappointed when it arrived.
Published on 26 Feb 2010 by Mr. D. R. Fountain

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 29 Mar 2010
Sue H "Sunshine Suzzy" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The RHS Allotment Handbook: The Expert Guide for Every Fruit and Veg Grower (Royal Horticultural Society Handbooks) (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book for any one considering getting an allotment. As can be seen from the browse able pages the is a broad list of contents. Consideration is given to why grow your own and practical aspects such as what to start growing for quck easy results with young children. The sections on fruit, veg, herbs are clearly laid out with tips- `if only I'd known'. Consideration is given to which crops are easy to grow and expensive to buy or not available in the shops .e.g. chard The text is modern considering for example if chitting potatoes (letting them grow eyes) does increase the crop of all types or not. There is even a small section on livestock bees and chickens. The down side of the book is that in ~200 pages with a coverage of every topic nothing is covered in much detail. There is little on pests and diseases- however the Dr D.G Hessayon book is good on this topic and if you dwell too much on this area you'll never grow any thing e.g. brassicas (cabbage family) lime the soil to make it less hospitable to club root, put collars around the neck of the plant to stop another pest laying its eggs, net the crop to keep off cabbage white butterfly which will eat your crop and poo all over it in summer. (pay 40 to net a medium sized bed with fine mesh, aluminium frame...keep it on over winter to keep the pidgeons off, oh yes some brassica will be taking ground space for the best part of a year.) This is not recommended for those who have had an allotment or grown fruit and veg for several years. There are some excellent photos and after 15 mins browsing the pages I can't wait for the rain to stop so I can get outside and start planting. Vegetable and Herb Expert

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, a great help., 26 Feb 2010
Mutant Monkey (Woking, Surrey. UK) - See all my reviews
Being new to the world of allotments I found this a great help to get me on a successful path of allotmenteering.

When I first obtained my plot I felt daunted as to what to do with it. This book has increased my confidence and after a quick read through today I feel raring to go. Great timing of the release of this book as I realised I was running out of time to get my plot prepared for my first growing season. I now feel prepared and educated in the basic requirements of allotment life and look forward to putting the books ideas and advice into practice.

Thank you RHS for this publication.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - An encyclopedia for growing fruit and veg, 12 Dec 2010
I was bought this book by my mother who had simply spotted it in the stock of some well know book people who leave stock and work places and school for mail order... It was a great find, considering my mother isn't in to gardening that doesn't involve flowers. Its great to look up individual crops and see what they require either when considering whether to grow them or when trouble shooting. It also contains info about pests and diseases in a limited fashion which can point you in the right direction when trying to discover what it is eating your plants or if there is a deficiency or illness. I use this book along side Alan Buckingham's Allotment Month By Month and Carol Klein's Grow Your Own Veg and between them they keep me on track and answer most of my questions, as i can cross section issues and advice and make a good evaluation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all round advice for a novice gardener !!, 21 Aug 2011
Having only just been allowed to take over the vegetable garden by my husband (!!) I found this book very helpful in all it's advice. Good clear pictures and not too much jargon expecting me to know the basics already. The freezer is filling very nicely thank you !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Jan 2011
Excellent book purchased at Christmas for my pal who has just got into gardening and growing fruit & veg. This is a superior book which has been nicely published with good quality paper in hardback. Don't be put off by the word 'allotment', as my pal doesn't have an allotment but everything in the book is relevent to anyone with a patch of earth/garden etc not just allotment. This is the best book I've found re fruit & veg, and is great for the novice or gardening pro. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read and guide, 14 Jan 2011
I bought this book for myself a few weeks ago and have enjoyed it very much. It is very comprehensive and readable with a nice writing style. The photos are lovely and show how easy it is to have a productive and attractive allotment. I am quite an experienced gardener and can see that this book will become a useful reference as it gives best planting dates as well as spacings and so on. It is certainly a book that I would buy again

5.0 out of 5 stars The RHS Allotment Handbook, 26 Sep 2010
I brought this for my other half, as this was the first year he had decided to try and grow vegetables. We found it to be very informative, and well laid out. He doesn't like reading whole pages to find his information, and with this book it isn't necessary. You can find what you need to know within minutes, and the pictures are actually quite helpful. Also, the book seems to cover everything the British gardener could possibly want to grow, or would be able to grow within commertial equipment!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK!!, 24 May 2014
Got this book as a present as my daughter knew I wanted it. As a new allotment person I find it very informative, with lots of good advice. Bear in mind it is one of many gardening books, but you can at least compare advise from each!!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 8 May 2014
I am quiet a novice my husband did all the veg growing, now my job, I have a very large area so not an allotment with other. Book ideal for real allotment user. Full two pages on each veg.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good review, 11 Jan 2014
The book arrived on time and in perfect condition. It is an excellent book, and the recipient is now gardening very happily!
Jane