Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on 22 September 2009
If you're not sure who Levi Roots is, he's the dread-locked singer who slayed the Dragons of the Dragons' Den with his Reggae Reggae Sauce a couple of years back.

I like to buy cook books, but I'm a 'sit and eat a crunchie whilst looking at the pictures' sort of cook and although the images looked appetising, I thought the book would just join the others in the cupboard.

Wrong!

The first thing that I made were the pecan and pumpkinseed muffins - and they were delicious. I didn't have pecans, but I substituted broken walnuts and they were delightful. I made them with two small boys who pretty much wolfed them down before they had even cooled!

The second dish was the honey, grenadine and ginger roasted lamb with pomegranate and mint salad. It was absolutely divine! In fact, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

What I liked about it is that SO FAR just about everything is available to me in some form or another (dried/tinned). I live on a small Scottish island and I can't honestly say that about several of my other cookery books.

Why have I not given the book 5 stars? Well, I would have given it 4.5* if I could have. And my only criticism is the HEAT!!!!! Scotch Bonnets are absolutely fearsome, heatwise - only a well-seasoned (pun!) chili fan will be able to take the full heat of some of the unaltered recipes ;-)

However, you don't need to use the Scotch Bonnets - use something larger and milder. It might take one wrong meal to find out what's to your taste - but after that, Levi Roots' book will add a whole new chapter to your cooking.

Mr Roots isn't a fancy chef, he's a cook - and a rather good one ;-)
on 3 July 2016
A book that is filled with useful information advise on Caribbean food, It has a wonderful a ray of colour pictures, not just of food or dishes but also of the raw produce. I have been only reading some parts of it but found it very useful already and also look forward to try the recipes. A book well worth buying I did try to it when it came out but could not find a copy in my local book shop. Now closed down.
on 25 August 2010
I made the Caribbean lamb shank casserole with fluffy pumpkin rice and its one of my favourite dishes ever. I can't wait to make more! Really easy and well explained.... obviously tested well.
on 12 December 2013
This book - is great and easy to follow- very easy to understand recipes - easy to get hold of Ingredient's- on your local high street - is not boring has pictures of Caribbean and people - I use it 2 times a week to cook
on 30 November 2009
I have made several recipes from this book and all have been a success with friends. Easy to follow recipes.
on 2 June 2013
I liked the book. Recipes are simple and easy to follow. I've enjoyed most of the meals so far. Some recipes need a little more explanation of terminologies. Otherwise I would give the book 5 star rating
on 4 April 2010
Nice book. Easy to follow recipes but not as good as the previous one. Maybe a little bit "poshed up" in comparison. Probably best to find out where you can purchase the products before you embark on a recipe....as some are hard to get. However, Ill certainly be using and giving as a gift to those that ask me for the recipe!
on 10 November 2009
Arrived very quickly. All recipes are achievable if there is any criticism it will be that if you haven't got a Caribbean store near you some of the ingredients would be hard to purchase. I am lucky and have one very near where I live. Overall a great book.
on 4 January 2010
very good caribbean cook book.given as a christmas pressent but before wrapping i had to copy out some of the recipes-they looked that good.also looks very easy to follow and understand.
on 8 January 2014
So many islands, so many variations on a theme, I use this book as a reference to caribbean dishes. Colourful presentation, easy to follow menues, almost transporting you to the region,