5.0 out of 5 stars Great family cookbook, 21 April 2010
A. Jones (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tana's Kitchen Secrets (Hardcover)
I can't stand Gordon Ramsay, but I didn't know much about his wife's books until my daughter gave me this one for mother's day. I was a little apprehensive but I needn't have worried - I've cooked four or five of the recipes in here and they've all turned out brilliantly. I'm not really much of a cook but I find these recipes really easy to follow, and it's been great having so many healthy meal ideas without too many fancy ingredients to buy. My biggest success was with the Moroccan fish tagine, which was a brave move for me as I've never cooked anything like it before. I hardly ever cook fish as my husband doesn't really like it, but when I made the tagine he thought it was delicious! I'll definitely be making it again. Thanks Tana!

4.0 out of 5 stars The secrets of fabulous homemade food, as Tana 'does it her way'!, 28 May 2010
From the introduction:-

'I want this book to help you to love cooking. I've written it for people who enjoy food but who, like me, suddenly find they need to expand their recipe repertoire and their cooking skills - either because they have a family to feed or for some other reason......With a busy life, I don't have the hours to spend shopping, preparing and planning dinner. Quite often, food is bought on the way home and meals are made in the minimum of time...but I want maximum results.
These recipes will help you achieve that too. Don't be scared to teach yourself to cook - I did! Use my recipes as a guideline: if you can't find an ingredient, don't panic......
Always add your favourite ingredients and leave out anything you are not so keen on. The only rule is to taste all the time, so you'll know when you are on the right road.........'

In fairness, some of this has been done before, with almost every recent British cookbook proffering the best chip recipe, or the best mash.......but Tana delivers, with a certain style.
With a duck egg blue and dark brown theme throughout, this is a well presented book featuring an eau de nil coloured ribbon bookmark to keep the page!

'120 recipes each accompanied by an invaluable 'kitchen secret', Tana's book makes fabulous food accessible to all. Her 'secrets' reveal how to make food perfectly, cook it well and choose the best ingredients......'
The 'secrets' are label-type format notes each containing a helpful tip or two applicable to a feature of the recipe or an ingredient, e.g.:-

* making ice creams and sorbets without an ice-cream machine
* marinating meat
* avoid a soggy base(pastry cases)
* perfect meringues
* the best glace icing
* go for sustainable fish
* which cuts to choose
* perfect scones
* working with filo pastry

Durable pastel hardboard covers open to 288 high quality matt pages, split over main chapters:-

* Slow & easy meat (pg 12-41)
* Quick & easy meat (pg 44-67)
* Fish (pg70-99)
* Pasta, rice & grains (pg102-119)
* Pies, pastries, tarts & batters (pg122-151)
* Vegetables (pg154-189)
* A bit of dough (pg192-203)
* Something sweet (pg206-239)
* Cakes & biscuits (pg242-267)
* Sauces & dressings (pg270-283)

sandwiched between an introduction, with sections entitled:-

* 'Kitchen kit secrets'
* 'Storecupboard secrets'

and a four-page index.

Each chapter opens with a double page spread with an applicable note from Tana, then a general page of 'secrets' pertaining to the following recipes.

The recipes open with a personal note (in handwriting style text), followed by a clear list of ingredients, the numbered step method, how long it takes to prepare and cook - with the number of servings, and, if applicable, whether it can be made ahead and/or is suitable for freezing....and that aforementioned 'secret' label.
Colour photography throughout, from Laura Hynd, arguably, a little light of those of the finished dishes, but there are also some snapshots and a few on-location shots.
A small taste of the recipes contained within:-

Shepherd's Pie
Poached Whole Chicken
Homemade Lamb Sausages in Prosciutto
Pork Chops with Honey & Mustard Glaze
Chinese Duck Breast Wraps
Smoked Haddock Fish Cakes
Thai Red Curry
Mussels with Belgian Beer (an innovative twist to an old fave)
Beef & Aubergine Rigatoni Bake with Tomato & Basil
Tarka Dal
Best-ever Homemade Chips
Asparagus Soup
Pizza Dough
Scones for the perfect afternoon tea
Meringues
Tomato & Tarragon Mayonnaise
Cheese Dip
Chunky Apple Sauce
Homemade Gravy

My favourites, to date, tried and tasted:-

'Laurens Meatballs', which was a very welcome expansion on my normal minced lamb curry recipes and one my regular diners enthused about...so will be doing that one again!

'Spicy Beef Stew', serving 4 in the recipe and allows me to air one of my favourite casserole dishes - but - as I usually serve stew with a dish of mashed potato with cheese and tomato topping, and chunks of brown bread, I can usually manage to save some to freeze, too!

and

'Chicken Cacciatore', which is headed up:-
'This recipe is not at all like the classic dish with the same title, but the name has stuck in our home!
It is a really quick and easy supper requiring minimum effort. I usually serve it with buttered jacket potatoes........

A useful book which, for the large part, does achieve what it sets out to do in the introduction, in my opinion.
Tana as a busy wife and Mum of four shares the best ways to present a more exciting selection of cooked dishes. It could easily be used as a first cookbook, but also contains useful embellishments for the more confident cook. Cooking for a family or just for friends...
Tonight, I'm kitted out to try the 'Moroccan Fish Tagine', cooking for 6 with an interesting tweak for adult eating!

Page 288 sees the close of this chunky tome with the Tana 'thanks' page, headed up by a charming dedication to her husband and children, simply - 'the best team'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets to great home cooking, 11 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Tana's Kitchen Secrets (Hardcover)
The recipes in this book bears in mind that most of us live a very busy life and do not have the opportunity that often to spend hours and hours on planning, shopping and preparing for our meals. But, nonetheless, that does not mean that we want to sacrifice on the taste, presentation, and nutritionally nourishing food.

The recipes in this book are of good wholesome dishes that anyone would like to prepare and eat any day of the week. Tana's secrets to achieving this is by ensuring that you have some essential pieces of kitchen appliances/utensils and a well supply of herbs, tinned tomatoes, vegetables, flour, cheese, frozen fruits and so on. Also she encourages that you can use her recipes as a guide and can alter it if perchance you have forgotten to buy, run out or cannot find an ingredient that she has listed.

Each chapter in the book is opened with Tana's secrets on how to choose the best ingredients, how to prepare and cook it. Whilst each recipe is accompanied with a tip of some sort, for instance in the Shepherd's pie recipe on page 20 Tana gives advice on how to ensure that your mash is perfect every time. This is handy if you are feeling nervous about cooking the dish or a beginner to cookery bliss and need that extra guidance or assurance that you are on the right path.

All of the recipes is this book are not difficult to prepare and cook, so you will not be disappointed with the end result as it would be full of flavour and tasty. I for one love several of the recipes in this book i.e. parmesan chicken drumsticks, really rustic shoulder of lamb, Indian lamb chops, turkey masala kebabs, rump steak flavoured with anchovy and garlic, Moroccan fish tagine, beef and aubergine rigatoni bake with tomato and basil, Eton mess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly handy for any generation, 22 April 2010
This review is from: Tana's Kitchen Secrets (Hardcover)
I'd like to think that I'm a decent cook but in reality I never have the time or inspiration to whip up anything special. My mum was convinced that I was takeawaying myself into an early grave, so she presented me with a copy of Tana Ramsay's new cookbook in the futile hope that I would actually make myself something vaguely healthy once in a while.

I must admit that it sat on my shelf for a while as I resented the fact that my mum was interfering in my life . . . But when (in desperation - even baked beans get boring after a while) I gave in and attempted one of her recipes, I was amazed at how quick and easy it was. Even on my low, low budget and with minimal time, I have found enjoying cooking, and making the effort to do it properly. The results are far better than I ever could have hoped; she's really inspired me! I even sometimes take the time to make pudding now, which is a real development, instead of just reaching for the ice cream. The cherry and chocolate mousse is flipping amazing, and it's got fruit in it so I feel very virtuous :D

Of course, when my mum came to visit, I had to show off my new-found culinary skills, and here's the icing on the cake (pardon the pun): when she left, my mum took the cookbook with her! She wanted to try out a few recipes on my sister, who is a notoriously picky eater. And despite normally refusing to eat meat on the bone, she loved the spicy chicken wings so much that my mum's since made them again twice. Two miracles, one book. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great uncomplicated recipies, 14 Jun. 2010
N. Wright - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tana's Kitchen Secrets (Hardcover)
I had already got Tana's two previous books which I use a lot so thought I would buy this one. I love the easy way she describes everything. All the recipies I have tried have turned out well and how I expected them to. All in all a great book, which I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Family and Friends Cookbook, 24 April 2010
This review is from: Tana's Kitchen Secrets (Hardcover)
This is Tana's fourth cookbook, it's a recipe book with `secrets'.

The secrets are presented as labels on the recipes, which give a less knowledgeable or confident cook hints and tips and for the rest of us they are good refreshers. For example: the best variety of potatoes to choose for chips or how to get the best out of biscuit dough.

The book has a nice layout and lots of pictures of the food, a few of Tana, but mainly the recipes. There is a lot more dessert / pudding options in this new books too. It's a lovely book full of first rate home cooked food for you and your family, though some are certainly suitable for having friends round for supper as well.

Some of the recipes I'm keen to try (although by no means all) are: Lauren's Meatballs - home-made meatballs in a coconut milk and curry sauce. A lovely sounding Chicken Broth, with vegetables and a touch of cream where the stock has been infused with flavour notes from Kaffir lime leaves, star anise, coriander seeds, ginger and lemon grass. Spicy Beef Stew. Indian Lamb Chops with Tana's Healthy Couscous. Chinese Duck Breast Wraps, with a really fabulous sounding sauce. Haddock and Spring Vegetable Risotto. Ricotta, Pepper and Artichoke Quiche. Chinese Leaf and Chilli Salad. A divine Pineapple Tart Tatin with a Coconut Sorbet. Cherry and Almond Loaf. Beautiful Blackcurrant Ice Cream and last but by no means least Chocolate and Cherry Mousse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tana's Kitchen Secrets, 25 Aug. 2012
M. Barker - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tana's Kitchen Secrets (Hardcover)
An excellent cookery book full of original and interesting and tasty ideas.
A 'must have' book for cooks looking for new inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for family cooks, 13 July 2010
This review is from: Tana's Kitchen Secrets (Hardcover)
This is a great cookbook. I have her previous two and I find that this has more pictures of the food and fewer of her which is an advantage as it is nice to know how things are meant to look. I find her recipes great for family cooking, as they are not too complicated and don't use lots of ingredients that you can never find. Her cake recipes never fail either. I really recommend this if you want a book with nice recipes for the whole family or others which are more grown-up and could certainly be used for entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cook Book, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Tana's Kitchen Secrets (Hardcover)
Brought as a present for the other half and she has made a number of dishes which have been great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Tana's Kitchen Secrets (Hardcover)
I made the chicken risotto last night and it was amazing and v easy and well explained. Lemon zest in it was genius.

Tana's Kitchen Secrets
Tana's Kitchen Secrets by Tana Ramsay (Hardcover - 3 May 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01