5.0 out of 5 stars Great pocket wine guide, 26 Sept. 2009
I. MacGregor (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2010 (Hardcover)
I have used Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book for years. The latest issue as usual has concise but wide ranging details on most wineries/wines you are likely to come across, arranged by country. There are suggestions for best value wines from particular wineries,and vintages that are especially good and ready for drinking now are highlighted. There is a potted description of recent vintages for countries and regions and food and wine matching advice. I like the portability of the book and take it on holiday always. Last week it helped in chosing some great Sicilian wines! Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the wine drinker., 10 Nov. 2009
Chrymas (E R Yorks UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2010 (Hardcover)
If you have been drinking wine for any length of time you will know about Hugh Johnson, he knows wine. This is only the second 'pocket wine book' I have acquired the first was years ago and went all over the world with me and taught me a lot about wine. I find this version not so informative as the old one, you basically have to know what you are looking for. I find myself looking up wines to confirm my opinion, as opposed to using the book as a guide. Having said that I do refer to it quite often, both buying cases and when imbibing in the odd bottle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2010, 15 Feb. 2010
Mr. Max H. Parsons "Wine Explorer" (Enfield, Middlesex,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2010 (Hardcover)
Yes, it goes in the pocket! Useful background information to each production area, which indicates trends which are worth following. Whilst price information is not specific, he does highlight good value and you get a fair idea of those wines that are likely to be within your budget.If you wish to explore the world of wine you will find no better guide at this sensible price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable, 11 Jan. 2010
Bruce T. Collinson (Leeds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2010 (Hardcover)
The companion to the tome, this author's World Atlas of Wine, the latter to put in the car when touring, this one to slip into a pocket before dining out. A rapid reference work which will give a steer on better wines and their preferred vintages, compressed down to the essentials in a fairly readily accessible format. Good value too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand Cru in your pocket, 2 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2010 (Hardcover)
All you need to know to make an informed selection of wine whether in a restaurant or wine merchants. The best priced wine guide available. Each years edition gets better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pocket size book about wines, 26 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2010 (Hardcover)
These little books cone out every year and I buy them for both my husband and father and are read from cover to cover each Christmas.
I am not sure how big Hugh Johnson thinks people's pockets are but they don't change from year to year!
This little book gives an in slight into that years wine, it is informative on the wine, region, details and when the drink etc. it gives ideas on new wines to try and ones to avoid.
A must for both the beginner and the expert.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wine Buff, 19 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2010 (Hardcover)
Bought this for my partner who has a copy of this book each year. He finds it invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect - all you need for wine info, 6 Sept. 2009
entyce "MJE" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2010 (Hardcover)
An excellent book, year after year. All you need in terms of wine info, from the leading authority. Handy tables in the front cover show drinking-up times. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hugh Johnson: great stocking filler, 7 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2010 (Hardcover)
I was lucky enough to be given a Hugh Johnson a few years back, and I've found it to be invaluable ever since. I always get it out when I have friends over for dinner, and I've found it invariably takes the evening in an enjoyable new direction. I have one small complaint though: for something that's meant to be kept in your pocket, it's actually a bit too big. I end up having to slip it into my wife's handbag, which she hates!

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas sorted, 27 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2010 (Hardcover)
A regular Christmas buy which is requested for a wine buff. Always gratefully received and a great way to solve the 'what shall I buy him for Christmas?' problem....

Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2010
Hugh Johnson's Pocket Wine Book 2010 by Hugh Johnson (Hardcover - 1 Sept. 2009)