1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars A Stimulating Introduction, 8 Dec 2012
J. Goddard "Jim Goddard" (Shipley) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Origins: Human Evolution Revealed (Hardcover)
On the whole, I was very pleased by this book. Although it is written for a lay audience, it is clear that the author is familiar with some of the key theoretical debates. He is able to convey them well, striking a good balance between being too simple and too complex. It is the sort of book that makes you want to read more deeply into many of the topics raised. I particularly liked the way he weaved in details about some of the key scientists involved and the relationships between them. I knocked a star off my rating for some needless repetition and for far too many minor presentational mistakes, such as wrong dates and names. These may well be proof-reading errors, but there are too many of them. One expects higher presentational standards for a big introductory book such as this. On thing that particularly grated with me was that the 3D models of the various species were very impressive until we get to ourselves, Homo Sapiens, when the model was clearly done in a different style. The bizarre result is that Homo Heidelbergensis, Homo Floresiensis and Homo Neanderthalensis all look more recognisably human than the waxy, demonic-eyed Homo Sapiens.

However, that shouldn't detract from the many merits of the book. I was glad I had read it and will, I am sure, return to it profitably many times in the future. It is rich in detail and a very good learning resource.

Origins: Human Evolution Revealed
Origins: Human Evolution Revealed by Dr Douglas Palmer (Hardcover - 4 Oct 2010)
Used & New from: 5.67