5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I would want for Christmas
Published on 19 Nov 2008 by emma who reads a lot

1.0 out of 5 stars Misses the point becaue it's to big.
To be useful this book needs to be pockets size, bit it isn't. Instead it's of a size where you may as well take a how to grow veg book and a notebook with you. Misses the point.
Published on 31 May 2010 by N. Booth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I would want for Christmas, 19 Nov 2008
emma who reads a lot (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: RHS Grow Your Own: Veg Journal (Royal Horticultural Society Grow Your Own) (Hardcover)
I am a second-year allotment holder only just getting down to really understanding what I have taken on, and I love this little book. Firstly, it's a journal with blank pages for you to record everything you do, with a page per week. I am hoping it will last at least five years as I only write a few sentences per week, and that will enable me to compare across the years how well/badly I did, what jobs I was doing at what time, etc.

However it also gives a clear summary of "jobs for the month", and it has seasonal recipes from Carol's collection, and it's also really full of useful info (e.g. pages on "chitting potatoes" and "blanching vegetables" ) which will be a shortcut reminder of all the careful advice contained in the big Grow Your Own book.

However DO note that this isn't that book - I think perhaps the first reviewer on here got confused and that's why his wife was disappointed. This is a much smaller book that you could take with you to the allotment to note down where you planted your onions etc, to fold seed packets and planting plans into (it has a useful orange elastic to keep all that stuff in there too - and a wipeable cover, for muddy fingers...).

Honestly if I got this for Christmas I would be soooo pleased, and it's nice and cheap too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grow Your Own Veg Journal, 10 Feb 2009
M. Kearney "Marie Kearney," (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
A good addition to Carol Kleins original Grow Your Own Veg book from the BBC series.

Lots of good advice and tips for the first time veg grower. Good photographs showing what your plants "should" look like at varies stages of the growing cycle.

Space for making notes, keeping a diary of what you have planted etc.

I would recomend it for anyone who is thinking of growing their own veg for the first time.

Carol Klein "Rocks"!

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful Diary, 9 Feb 2009
Judith Mccafferty (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This is quite a heavy book for it's size. It should be used as an aide memoir, not as a grow your own reference book. There are others for that. But there is room to make your notes, and useful reminders and tips for growing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant mothers day gift, 15 April 2009
L. Stevenson (Rugby) - See all my reviews
My children bought me this book for mothers day. It's great with really practical advice for the beginner veg grower and recipes too. I've already started to record my planting and will be using this for a good few years yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little book, 7 Jan 2010
Mrs. L. P. Grant (Huntingdon, Cambs) - See all my reviews
........for taking down the allottment and keeping handy in the shed. Just the right size with all the right information we needed to start organising our new allottment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for budding veggie gardeners, 17 Feb 2013
S. Fleischer (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased this journal as I am growing my own veggies. I like the fact that it has useful advice/tips, as well as some nice recipes and of course blank space for every week, where I can write my own observations on sprouting, growth etc as well as weather. Nice size and not too big with band and ribbon so that one can find one's page readily.

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 12 Feb 2013
just starting my pwn vegetable patch and this book is eay to follow and a great help getting you started

5.0 out of 5 stars Carol is queen, 23 Jan 2013
Easy to use and full of good reminders and tips, very informative. A comfortable size for usage and storage. Happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars first time growing your own, 22 Jan 2011
I bought this book as it was recommended to me. I am so glad I bought it as I have used it throughout last Summer and over the Winter periods. As it is a journal you can add your own comments for each month's plantings, what went wrong and what went right. It is very good and is a handy size to take with you anywhere. Lots of suggestions for planting each month. A great gift for a first time vegetable grower. Good illustrations also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grow Your Own Veg Journal - a great gardening diary, 24 Dec 2010
This will be a very useful way of recording what I do as I do it, so in the coming year will be able to modify it for the better. It can be started at any time as is not marked out by the months of the year. I'm sure it is easy to forget exactly how or when you tacking each task as time goes on but this will be a great help and complement the author's 'Grow Your Own Veg' book. Very helpful as am starting this journey pretty much for the first time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

RHS Grow Your Own: Veg Journal (Royal Horticultural Society Grow Your Own)
9.05