5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!
I am 24 years old but relatively inexperienced. I am also quite small and my partner (female) was hinting that perhaps I needed some help. So I bought this book, and wow! I never knew there were so many things you could do! And I thought wheelbarrows were for gardening...
Published on 14 Dec 2009 by Mr. Simon Willet

This is a decent book that addresses a difficult subject, one that it is important to know about yet most people find hard to discuss. It is quite grand in its ambitions, and while a little useful I found that it didn't quite reach the heights.

Published on 9 Mar 2011 by Victor

3.0 out of 5 stars The Joy Of Sex, Alex Comfort and Susan Quillam - Not quite reaching the heights, 9 Mar 2011
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The New Joy of Sex (Hardcover)

Setting out to discuss all aspects of sex, from descriptions of the various bodily parts involved, methods of arousal, positions, health considerations etc etc, it is certainly ambitions. However, it did not go deep enough for me, with descriptions that just brush over the surface and told me nothing I did not know from school. The layout and general tone is also faulty - a book like this can either be a deep and informative text book, going into every subject chapter and verse; or a work of art such as the Karma Sutra; or a simple set of positions. Clever arrangements and too much humour do not really have a place. The authors have tried to structure the book as a menu for a meal, with starters, main course, dessert etc. This makes information hard to find, and by using euphemisms it almost feels a little like a Carry On film rather than the frank and open discussion that is required.

That said, there is useful information to be found here. I just think that a more rigorous and less euphemistic approach would have really lifted this to a height. 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 14 Dec 2009
Mr. Simon Willet (Scotland) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars New and good., 18 Oct 2008
This review is from: The New Joy of Sex (Hardcover)
This is one good book on all things sex. It's good for either gender, too, we can both learn a lot here. Many times, these books overexplain things and don't keep it simple. This one doesn't. It's conscise, to the point and never dull. Read it. Also liked: Sex Machine: A Man's Guide to What Really Pleases a Woman in Bed.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is more..., 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: The New Joy of Sex (Hardcover)
This is more than a new edition of a best seller and it's not only about sex. It's a surprising and intriguing presentation, with a modern fresher style, of something which is part of the essence of the human beings. The illustrations are very nice. I found this book a perfect, unusual, gift for some good friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never mind the words, buy this book for the pictures ..., 7 Oct 2008
R. M. Carey - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Joy of Sex (Hardcover)
This is a remarkable book, made all the more so by the sheer brilliance of Russell Faulkner's illustrations. Where photography leaves you cold, one man's masterly confidence with light, shade, colour and breathtakingly sensitive insight will have you hungrily turning the pages for more. I couldn't recommend it any more highly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not yet read, 14 May 2013
I. W. Wylie - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Joy of Sex (Hardcover)
It is impossible to give a comment on this book as I have not yet had the time to read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars I expected more, 30 Jan 2009
This review is from: The New Joy of Sex (Hardcover)
I expected something different. I think the book is O.K. to get a general overview, but then again, sex is so personal, the book does give ideas and information although not as much as I had hoped

ARRAY(0xa65bc06c)

The New Joy of Sex
The New Joy of Sex by Alex Comfort and Susan Quilliam (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2008)
Used & New from: 0.46