5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published on 27 Jan 2007 by Stu Ford

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not clear enough
When I first flicked through the book I saw how clearly it was laid out, and a cursory read made me feel that it was heading in the right direction for me as a newcomer to gardening and growing vegetables.
Unfortunately the simplicity stretched to not having enough detail on how to really look after things (eg what do you do if your tomatoes aren't setting) once they...
Published on 13 Jun 2009 by GardenNovice

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Jan 2007
Stu Ford (Northumberland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RHS Grow Your Own: Veg (Royal Horticultural Society Grow Your Own) (Hardcover)
The book is better than the accompanying TV series. Well written and illustrated. The advice given is essential for those just starting out and even those who have been dabbling for a while. It puts in sinple terms how, where and when to plant, how to look after, when and how to harvest and even gives some examples of how each veg in the book can be eaten or cooked. Covers a substantial variety of veg, I recommend this book as a must have for those wanting to know where to start, it is certainly helping me with my plans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Inspired, 10 Feb 2007
Binka - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book is from the current BBC series.

The first part of the book gives information on hw to prepare a vegetable plot, planning your plot out (what to grow where and when) and information on problems encountered when growing vegetables. There is a good calendar giving information on what you can be dong that month.

The rest of the book is dedicated to the vegetables - over 40 different types. So a very good range. There is information on what sort of soil and site each vegetable prefers, how and when to sow, what needs doing as the seedlings grow, different varieties of each type of veg (photos provided), how and when to harvest, storage and preperation info.

Very informative, easy to follow book. Ideal for the new vegetable gardener or someone who is thinking of expanding their range of veg.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, concise, interesting and excellent, 17 July 2007
A. J. Sturgess "Alan Sturgess" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
There are a LOT of coffee-table books out there which purport to help you with aspects of gardening. There are a lot of books full of fancy photographs and complex text. This book is as unlike those as are cheese and chalk. This is probably one of the clearest, best organised and well written books on this subject that you will ever find. Every aspect is thought out to the Nth degree - text is clear and descriptive without becoming overly technical. Photographs and diagrams are clear and useful. The organisation is as near perfect as possible.

All-in-all ... this book is probably the only book on this subject that you will ever need unless you intend opening a market garden. And even then, I reckon it would be hard to beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab start to my vegetable garden, 23 Jan 2007
Jo Summers "slugabedz" (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book as I have been watching the series and I was not disappointed as it is very well organised and informative. The first 50 pages or so are made up of sections about: plot (size, raised beds/containers, early/main crops); preparing the plot; a step by step guide to growing and extending the season; problems; and a seasonal calendar (what to do and when to do it). The rest of the book (some 150 pages or so) is about the veg. Split into different categories, each vegetable has 4 pages dedicated to it (although one of these pages is a picture). Each vegetable has information on: the best sites and soils; sowing and planting; cultivating; harvest; storing and cooking; pest and disease; recommended varieties (along with pictures). Each also has a useful small calendar showing which are the suitable times to sow, plant and harvest.

All in all I think it's an excellent book. It is well written (except for one typo I found in the potato section!) has beautiful pictures and all the information I wanted... even a glossary to explain all those terms I'm unfamiliar with. If you are new to vegetable gardening like me, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a brilliant book, 24 July 2008
I am not a gardener, I have never watched gardeners world and have only a small back yard. i somehow came across this book while browsing amazon and thought it would be a nice stocking filler for my husband. anyhow, it is so easy to follow and inspiring that we now have green beans, leeks, onions and shallots growing in our little garden. The difference in taste from supermarket veg is unbelievable. This is a great book that takes you from buying seeds to taking vegetables out of the ground, if i can do it, anyone can! Next season we are moving on to courgettes, potatoes, broccoli........

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Feb 2007
A. Field (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
My husband bought this book for me after I watched and raved about the first programme in the series. I have been dipping into it ever since. As a keen but not highly experienced gardener it has been an invaluable source of information, especially with things I had never contemplated growing myself-such as jerusalem artichokes.

Carols personality shines through in the book which makes it even more inspiring as she has such enthusiasm for her subject.

I would certainly recommend anyone buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, 7 Feb 2007
C. Covell (South West, UK) - See all my reviews
I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in growing their own vegetables, whether on a large plot or a small back yard. Again Carol's enthusiasm comes through in both the television programme and the wonderfully laid out book. The book is a comprehensive guide to British veg and is not to be missed. Everything from the background to the plants through to growing conditions and variety recommendations are include. A great read!

4.0 out of 5 stars I don't have green fingers, 1 Feb 2007
I don't have green fingers but recently moved to a larger garden. Mum and dad bought me this book as a house warming present. I have found it very interesting and extremely imformative. Planting my first bits this weekend and looking forward to it. Buy it if you are slightly interested in growing your own veg and you will be hooked and buying your seeds/plugs within the first few days of reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 8 May 2007
I've just started out with a small veggie patch in my back garden, and this book has been instrumental in the planning and development of the plot. Down to earth and clear, every vegetable is discussed in depth including typical pests (and how to prevent them) and recommended varieties. Great as a reference, but also as bedtime reading while planning next year!

5.0 out of 5 stars a great book on growing veg, 30 Mar 2007
Carol Klein is great to watch on TV and her enthusiasm shines through into the book. Full of information in the most accessible form it is so easy to follow and by far the best book around on growing your own. I love the format of this book and find it an invaluable source of information. Highly recommended.

RHS Grow Your Own: Veg (Royal Horticultural Society Grow Your Own)
15.83