on 3 August 2009
This is my first review. I wanted to write a review about the Easy Vegetarian Cookbook because I think it's an extremely good book and I spotted that it didn't have any reviews posted about it yet which didn't seem right!

I'll set up my credentials. I've been a vegetarian for 15 years and my girlfriend has been vegetarian for 18 years. We have a huge vegetarian and non-vegetarian cookery book collection and we've eaten in vegetarian restaurants all over the world - though randomly not at The Gate! Although I did pop in for a quick lunch once but that doesn't seem to count. I love cooking and obviously it's all vegetarian food.

For everyday dinners this cookery book beats all the other ones I own hands down - including the other recipe book by The Gate.

This is because -
The recipes are quick and simple to make.
They make really tasty food! That should be point 1 really - it is amazing how many cookery books have recipes in that produce really mediocre food.
The type of food is spot on - its got interesting recipes in there but nothing too weird. There's very few, if any, hard to find ingredients. A lot of it is spicy but not all of it - it reflects the kind of food that I like to eat these days and uses the kind of ingredients I like to eat like haloumi, paneer, shiitake mushrooms and butternut squash.

On the down side -
I think the directions are sometimes a bit too simple and it is sometimes a bit unclear how to do something or for how long etc.
Sometimes some of the proportions seem a bit out - like loads of pasta to not much sauce.

But you could level those criticisms at almost all recipe books. The good stuff far far outweighs the bad.

My current favourites:
Tagliatelle with spinach, mushrooms and dolcelatte cream
Rigatoni with arrabiatta sauce
Quesadillas with sweetcorn salsa.
on 29 September 2009
The original gate cookery book has a large number extremely delicious recipes, and if you have persistence, an enormous amount of time to spare, and quite a high level of culinary skills you are rewarded with a vegetarian feast that for me, at least, was the most delicious food I have ever tasted. The downside is that each recipe does take an extraordinary amount of time.

With this new publication of the gate easy vegetarian cookbook with find a series of recipes that really are quick and easy to prepare but still produce the most wonderful food. This has been the answer to my dreams because it means that with the appropriate ingredients I can quickly create a superb meal.
on 11 February 2010
I visited the Gate restaurant on a date with my vegetarian boyfriend and it was truly the best food I have ever eaten. On leaving we purchased 2 books each including this easy veggie cook book. As a student I don't want to cook meals that will be difficult, time consuming or expensive and this book has just been fantastic for me! I have already bought it as gifts for several friends and they all love it too. I would highly recommend it to anyone, it has converted me to vegetarianism!!
on 9 April 2016
As a non-vegetarian with vegetarian children I needed a cookbook that was simple and easy to follow. This book is brilliant and full of really easy but tasty recipes. I use this book even when my children are not about.
on 17 November 2015
I love the food at The Gate but never realised how unhealthy it all is before. It's a real shame. Be warned the delicious taste of their 'healthy' food comes from lots of sugar!
on 20 September 2013
Great book. Wide selection of recipes with easily accessible ingredients. Written in very friendly style. One I'll use over again
on 1 April 2016
Thanks so much- great book and arrived perfectly!
on 25 October 2014
Good book, quickly sent, all ok, thank you.
on 17 January 2015
Great veggie food and easy to make too!
on 14 February 2015
A gift so I can't evaluate the book