5.0 out of 5 stars Ang's Advanced Digital Photography: Top notch.
I've been a frequent user ot Photoshop for years. It was not until I read this book and explored the included Workshops did I begin to see the true power of the software. Most importantly, Tom did it by first showing me what could be done and then how to do it. An excellent source of inspiration.

Alan
Published on 3 Sep 2007 by J. Alan Kehr

2.0 out of 5 stars Advanced???
Published on 12 July 2007 by Andrew Kerr

2.0 out of 5 stars Advanced???, 12 July 2007
Andrew Kerr (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Advanced Digital Photography: Techniques and Tips for Creating Professional Quality Images (Paperback)
Hmm...Advanced Digital Photography? I am an amature photographer who was looking for some 'techniques and tips' to help my photography evolve and become more professional. What I found however was an over priced book which didn't really help me or teach me anything new or note-worthy. It goes in to the details between the differences between film and digital camera's which was was only slightly intresting, and it over explains some very basic concepts (that most people would already know) in detail. So don't judge a book by its cover - as the cover in this case is impressive while the book is not.

3.0 out of 5 stars not sure..., 26 July 2007
Tony Hobbs (Bristol, S Glos United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I do so hate to have to give a book such a low score, maybe it even deserves just 2 stars, but I did learn one thing from this book, or was it 2, so I will give it the extra star!!

Why am I rather down on it? It seems to be quite a pricey book for little gain and fewer pages, only 144 of them!

It aims at the advanced user, which it probably does reasonably well, may be I am not advanced enough, as a lot of it I didn't even understand!

Part 1 is about Hardware and we can also certainly see that in a book we have or other books not aimed so high will cover this info. raw, TIFFS, monitor calibration, basic scanner info, colour gamut gets a mention. Then lenses, focal lengths, more scanning.

Part 2 is about Materials, this was more useful, Tom shows us about Levels, Highlight and Shadow controls - we get 4 pages of that!! Cloning and Healing, that was useful - 2 pages, Dodge and Burn - 2 pages, noise etc gets a mention. 2 more pages on levels! Apart from the dodge and burn, these were the most helpful pages to me!

It then gets more advanced and left me cold. Solarisation, Stair interpolation and things like filters, sharpening, colourizing a black and white image, Genuine Fractals gets a mention thats handy as I use it and like it, but nothing more than a mention. Databases also get mentioned.

I am confused by the market direction of this book, it is too advanced for a beginner or medium, as I am, not a spiritual medium, but I am more than a beginner but FAR short of advanced. However an advanced user would probably be better off getting a dedicated book on Photoshop Elements or CS2/3.

Am I glad I bought this book? No. With hindsight would I have bought it? No. I even feel guilty, but I can't mislead you! I could have sat in Waterstones and read the bits I wanted - and I can't advise that either as that is not on, and I would never do that myself.... Try a library!

If the price does come down in the future, it may be worth while, but don't pay over a tenner for it, and definately don't pay the asking 16.99. It is available for just over a fiver on Amazon, plus postage, oh that's tempting, but not a lot!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ang's Advanced Digital Photography: Top notch., 3 Sep 2007