4.0 out of 5 stars Great little book
I got this book for Christmas, and not knowing anything about wine was hoping it could give me a few pointers on what to buy. I found it very informative and a great little read.

Published on 30 Jan 2007 by L. J. Ford

3.0 out of 5 stars nice idea, but could have more wine.
I saw this book and thought I should give it a go as there aren't many young people that write about wine. To be honest I thought The Juice 2007 was ok, but many of the wines it suggest are only available from specialist retailers so I doubt that many people will actually be able to buy the wines suggested in this book.

Not great, but a decent enough stocking...
Published on 24 Oct 2006 by Noel Young

3.0 out of 5 stars nice idea, but could have more wine., 24 Oct 2006

Not great, but a decent enough stocking filler.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fancy pictures don't make a wine guide!, 27 Nov 2005
This review is from: The Juice 2006: 100 Wines You Should be Drinking (Paperback)
As a an eager, young, novice wine enthusiast I was keen to see what Matt Skinners guide would be like, after all we all know that Matt is sponsored by Jamie Oliver and Jamie's people have high hopes for Matt. But, and this is a big BUT, this book is a waste of time as a wine guide - Matthew Jukes has a book out called the 'WINE LIST' which is much better. There are loads of pictures of wine bottles and shots of Matt apparently looking cool, but very little that is really helpful about buying wine. Its going to take more than long hair and a pair of trainers for Matt Skinner appeal to the so called 'urban wine drinker'. Matt is the Jamie Cullum of wine!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad but a little lightweight., 12 Feb 2007
I get bought loads of 'winey' stuff as I am into wine, so I was quite pleased to get this book. As a guide it works well enough, although I feel that it should feature 200 or so wines rather than the 100 it concentrates on. The style itself is not bad but I get the impression that this wine guide is about showing that wine is cool and fun and not enough time is spent reviewing more wines. Many of the wines reviewed are a bit pricey too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, style over content :-(, 6 Dec 2005
Cleo (Battersea) - See all my reviews
Its really hard not to be cynical about Matt Skinner but I am afraid I have to be. I saw him at a wine tasting and thought I would give him a chance and get his guide. Waste of time though. Its just pictures, but nothing that is helpful or worth reading. I am sure that the publishers want to make wine cool but just because Mr Skinner wears jeans and has scruffy hair doesn't mean that wine should be 'hip', and he does not have enough charisma or charm. Sorry, but there are much better wine guides around.

2.0 out of 5 stars More wine, less pictures please!, 22 Feb 2006
I bought this guide as it's obviously meant to appeal to a younger audience than the average wine guide, and being in my 20's I thought I'd give it a go. To be honest its ok, but not really any better than ok. Matt Skinners approach might be very low-key and Australian, but reading words like 'juice' and 'daggy' every page make the prose start to annoy the reader pretty quickly. Also, and I know it has been said before, but there really are too many pictures of Matt (even a picture of his training shoes in his bedroom!) and not enough affordable suggestions for wines to drink. This book has brazenly attempted to make drinking wine as cool as skateboarding ... why?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 30 Jan 2007
L. J. Ford (England) - See all my reviews

It has given me loads of ideas on wine to buy, and I have also found that some of the wines it lists as not being available at local supermarkets/wine shops (or only available at one supermarket) are indeed available at my local shop. Perhaps they weren't at the time it went to print? There are obviously wines that are only available from specialist outlets, but this book has actually tempted me to make the effort and buy them, rather than just grabbing a random bottle of wine from the supermarket. Overall I found it very informative and for the price you can't really go wrong. Also Matt's energy and passion for wine if very infectious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vibrant wine guide, 1 Dec 2005
By A Customer
Matt Skinner is one of the most vibrant wine people around - I saw him at the Wine Show where he was brilliant. The Juice is the best wine guide around and gives exactly what you need for buying wine in 2006. It is compact, fun and really really useful - he has inspired me to buy over ten of the wines so far. The book has colour images so you can identify the wines easily and Matt's approach is informative and down-to-earth. My friends and I love this book and Matt's guide is the only one which appeals to the young or young-at-heart. It will be in all my friends stockings this Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice surprise, incredibly useful and stylish, 13 Dec 2005
After reading the mixed reviews I was intrigued about this book. I've seen Matt on TV and I'm a big Jamie fan so I thought I'd give it a go. I was really surprised and pleased - it's so useful and I've found several bottles which have impressed my friends! It looks great too - definitely recommended.

The Juice 2006: 100 Wines You Should be Drinking
The Juice 2006: 100 Wines You Should be Drinking by Matt Skinner (Paperback - 13 Oct 2005)
Used & New from: £0.01