5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect
Published on 24 Oct 2006 by Posh Tater

2.0 out of 5 stars Read what your wife is reading
I have to agree with the reviewers who recommend that new dads read the same books their wife is reading. Just not thorough enough, in my opinion.
Published on 2 Feb 2012 by VickyGr

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 24 Oct 2006
This review is from: The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year (Mitchell Beazley Health) (Hardcover)
So far, this is the book that we have both loved. It's written by a man with three children, who learned, like all of us, on the job. He's straight talking, encouraging, tells you how to, when to, why to. It's aimed at fathers, because there are too few books written for men about being a dad. I would recommend all the mums read it too, and get an insight into what's going on with the dad.

Each chapter is broken down into "what's going on with your partner", "what's going on with your baby", "what's going on with you". Nothing is missed. What might worry you, what will worry you. Cars, money, hospital appointments - should you go or not. Whether to be there at the birth. Conversations it would be useful to have. How to cope with it, what NOT to do and what NOT to say! What the baby is up to this month. What it's not up to. Tips on what to do to remain a couple, and not just a pair of sleepless zombies!

The man deserves a Nobel prize for writing it and the previous book The Expectant Father is also brilliant. BUY THEM. You won't regret it and you will be dipping in to them until your children leave home. And then handing them on when they have children!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put This Book Down Once Opened!, 29 Mar 2010
Fifona (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Wow, what a read!

I bought this book as a present and thought that I'd quickly skim read it before giving it to the recipient but became so engrossed that I read this from cover to cover.

It is extremely informative without being condescending or patronising and is very easy to digest. It is well laid out with each month of a baby's first year covered in 12 separate chapters. The practical help is invaluable and any looming decisions become easy with all pros and cons of each situation clearly detailed, so that each person can make the right choice for them and their child. As well as providing an insight into the role of being a parent, the descriptions of each development stage that your baby will go through will prove invaluable together with analysing the emotions that each father and the baby's mother are likely to experience (guilt and anger included).

This book is a must read for all new parents, not just for fathers-to-be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable!, 5 July 2010
This review is from: New Father Boxed Set (Paperback)
I bought the 'New Father Boxed Set' for my husband for Father's Day (or rather father-to-be day). It includes Dads Guide To The First Year Of Life and also Dads Guide To The Toddler Years. He's found the book really easy to read. It's divided into short sections which makes it great for picking up every now and then and digesting small chunks of information. Throughout the book it includes advice and information about how the mum might be coping/feeling. I'm hoping this will make my husband more sympathestic and helpful when the baby arrives! It's definately made my husband feel more involved and he's even teaching me things I didn't know.
It's a book not only for the dads. I couldn't put it down once I'd picked it up. I even ditched the book I was reading on Motherhood. It's clear and informative without being dictatorial or condescending. I'd recommend it to all couples who are expecting a child or already have a little one.
The only small negative I could mention is that being written by an American, it has a few American references in it. But this is by far outweighed by the overall Gem of a book it is!
BUY IT!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift.. not only for men., 20 Dec 2010
I bought this book to my husband when we were expecting our first baby. There are plenty of `mummy' books but very few for daddy. I liked the idea that book was written by farther which made it very handy and also funny (in nicest possible way). My husband really enjoyed reading it and me too. It helped him to understand what is happing to me, while pregnancy; how I can feel in first moments, hours, days after the birth and he was really supportive and some of my reactions weren't strange to him anymore. I am glad that one father took his time and shares his thoughts with other fathers to be and also can remind mothers that it is not only about mum and baby, but it is about mum, dad and baby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for expectant couples, 21 July 2009
This book was a really great read for my husband. It made him feel really involved and he got to teach me things I didn't know. I especially liked the way it explained the feelings I may be having which meant he could be sympathetic to my needs, without me having to explain or remind him.

We ended up reading the book as a couple in bed and I learned loads about my child and my partner. I think this even brought us closer together as parents.

We'd both definately recommend this book to all expectant couples.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dad's guide as well as Mum's, 31 Dec 2012
Excellent book, nicely written, from a dad point of view. it describes what to expect every month, from the baby as well as from the wife/mother. The author shares a lot of day-to-day information, which many books miss sometimes.my husband finds pleasure in reading it. Ladies , it is a precious present to your husband. Then you make sure you don't have to extensively explain or give reasons for everything you encounter during motherhood.recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars best baby book out for mums-to-be as well as dads, 13 Aug 2010
After reading a multitude of parenting books leading up to the birth of our first baby this one prepared us the best in terms of what to expect and practical advice on how to deal with the minefield of newborn baby (e.g. things to try when the baby won't stop crying). We now recommend this book to all new expectant parents. Easy and enjoyable to read - great gift for Dad's to be (their partners will also enjoy it!)

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful reference book full of sound advice, 8 May 2011
M. Graham (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
As a new father, this book was bought as a gift for me and my partner and I have found it very useful and regularly refer to it.

The month-by-month structure works very well and enables you to track all aspects of the baby's development and needs as well as what may be going on with you and your partner as you go along.

There are some really interesting and fun ideas and suggestions for interacting with your baby at each developmental stage which we particularly enjoyed and the book serves as a really good general reference guide regarding all the health and practical issues that may arise.

The author does a great job in reassuring new dads and parents that there are a whole spectrum of individual experiences of new fatherhood and new parenthood and that there are few, if any emotions, worries or practical issues out there that won't be shared by a whole lot of other people in the same situation.

So I would strongly recommend it.

The reason I've only given 4 stars and not 5 is that surprisingly, I ended up finding the book a little lacking in terms of detailed sharing of the author's own personal experience or indeed those of other new fathers. The author does make regular reference to himself as a father, but for the most part these references are brief and along the lines of "trust me on this one".

I don't know whether I was expecting a blow-by-blow account of the Brotts' own baby bloopers or sex life or what, but I do feel that the author may have missed a trick here towards building greater empathy his readers. For example, you would have expected a book like this to be very strong on post-pregnancy relationships from male perspective, but because of the lack of anecdotal material the guidance here, while solid and sound, is no different in terms of content, tone or presentation from what you find in literature aimed at both parents, or indeed just Mums, that you get free from the NHS.

Perhaps unfairly, to my own amusement I ended up picturing the author as a rather zipped-up, Rolando Negrin figure - "Hey buddy, don't go there, that's personal dammit!".

But maybe that's just me and in any case it doesn't detract much from what is an excellent book that does what it says on the cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is great!, 24 April 2010
This book is great! it is written in a well-structured, non-patronizing way. It's easy to understand and yet contains useful facts that even my wife didn't know (and she has read almost every baby book there is...!). The book usefully breaks stuff down both by time and by you/mum/baby so that it you can dip in to topics that you need. I am a new dad and I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a fantastic book, 28 Jun 2009
M. J. Atkin (Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This book was really easy to read. It is one of those that you suddenly realise you have been sat down for hours. Even after the first chapter I was giving my girlfriend lessons in what to expect. In between those two covers is a whole bunch of information, even if i forget everything it has taught me, it wil still have given me and my girlfriend a heads up.
there are parts in particular that i like especially about this book. For example: it explains what you will be going through at each stage, then what to expect the mother will be going through (even the facts i would rather not know) and then what the child will be going through at each stage of the birth and the then all the way through the first year. Experiences from other fathers fit right in in this book and also uses some material from other authors to back up what is beight taught in this book.
I absolutely recommend this book.

The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year (Mitchell Beazley Health)
12.08