4.0 out of 5 stars A bibliophile looks at 'Trees" by Hugh johnson
I saw "Trees" first advertised in "Broadleaf" the journal of The Woodland Trust. My extensive library has a section for books about the natural world and given the Trust's review and recommendation i made my purchase. "Trees" is well produced volume and excellent value for money - even without discounting!
In two parts, the book deals firstly with the grammar and...
Published on 16 Dec 2010 by Bob at Deveron Rd.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as useful as I hoped
A more descriptive title for this book might be "Trees that the author has personally known". I had hoped for a book that would help me identify trees, but this was not it. The paper & printing quality were poor.
Published 18 months ago by MR T A WILDE

4.0 out of 5 stars A bibliophile looks at 'Trees" by Hugh johnson, 16 Dec 2010
This review is from: Trees (Hardcover)
In two parts, the book deals firstly with the grammar and historical background to the subject and follows on to consider many families and species of trees. The chapters are brief but contain about the right amount of information and with the spectacular illustrations and photographs the subject is made very much alive.
I am delighted with my purchase and would recommend the book as an addition to any library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book - an encyclopedia of trees!, 19 Nov 2010
This review is from: Trees (Hardcover)
I never read the original International book of Trees by Hugh Johnson but this does feel like an up to date and well revised volume. I own a few books about trees and this ranks very higly in my view.

Please note - this is the same book as World of Trees recently published in America by Hugh Johnson. I bought a copy of each and then found they were one and the same - apart from the publisher and the dust jacket!

5.0 out of 5 stars A TIMELESS CLASSIC, 5 Oct 2011
Jeff Walmsley "JW" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Trees (Hardcover)
When this book was first published in 1973, I couldn't afford it; I could have done with it then, but now my garden already has far too many trees, and any that I plant nowadays would in any case be for the enjoyment of my successors. Nevertheless, I am pleased to be able to buy this updated and beautifully presented edition, for it is a splendid thing to have in its own right. The author, Hugh Johnson, will be better known worldwide for his writings on wine, but arboriculture is his true vocation, and the simple fact that he holds a gold medal from the Royal horticultural Society and is a vice president of the International Dendrological society will attest to his standing in this field.

As if he didn't have enough talents, he writes in an enjoyably relaxed, easy to read style with the occasional deft turn of wit, and even if you never have to plant a tree, the book is a joy to read, or simply to browse; but you will need strong arms and wrists in order to do so in bed.

If you do need to plant a tree, on the other hand, it's even more of a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 3 Mar 2013
This review is from: Trees (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book with great page qualityand beautiful pictures, I am very pleased with it and would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book With Loads Of Information In It, 16 Nov 2010
zx50 (Next to Consett, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trees (Hardcover)
This book's got quite a bit of text in it ... as well as the images. The author's made a good effort to maintain a nice balance between the amount of images and text in the book. I really wouldn't be surprised if this book contained every species of tree known. Great book. Contents are as follows ...

The World of Trees

The Conifers

The Broadleaves

These are the main titles, obviously.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book on Trees, 4 Jan 2011
This review is from: Trees (Hardcover)
This book makes absolutely excellent reading. It is not just a picture book of trees, but also tells you everything, and I mean everything, about trees. There are fantastic pictures/photos and it really is an extremely interesting book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Trees (Hardcover)
I bought this beautiful book as a 60 th birthday present for a chap who loves woods, walking and wildlife. I wish I'd bought one for myself too....

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Reading, 29 May 2011
E. M. Gostick - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trees (Hardcover)
This is a great book and a valuable update on my 1973 original and a lot smaller. I purchased this book on the recommodation of Tony Kirkham, thanks Tony. It has the easiest writing stile of any information book I have and was a delight to read. I read my 1973 book and then this update immediatly after, both very easy reading and very informative.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as useful as I hoped, 9 Jan 2013

Trees
Trees by Hugh Johnson (Hardcover - 4 Oct 2010)
Used & New from: £12.97