5.0 out of 5 stars Don't go to Bordeaux without this guide
Published on 6 Aug 2005 by Mrs. G. Weaver

This book gives useful background on why the Bordeaux region makes special wines, the differences amongst the key areas and the characteristics of types of grapes. So far so good.

Published 14 months ago by Marco Marini

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't go to Bordeaux without this guide, 6 Aug 2005
Mrs. G. Weaver (Horsley, Glos United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bordeaux: How to Find Great Wines Off the Beaten Track (Mitchell Beazley Discovering Wine Country) (Paperback)
This book is quite brilliant! Not only does it help you find some of the more out of the way Chateaux to buy excellent wine at realistic prices, but it also acts as a wonderful ice breaker. We were able to show Monsieur (or Madame) le Patron where they were in this guide and they were all really chauffed to see themselves in print. Thoroughly recommend that if you are going to the Bordeaux region and fancy a bit of tasting and/or buying, that you take this invaluable guide with you.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you are looking for expert opinions on the quality of different chateaux, look elsewhere.., 19 Aug 2013

However, when it comes to suggested itineraries, it lacks some (in my view) pretty fundamental info. It gives you a list of chateaux to visit along a certain route, but it does not give any information on what their wines are actually like. As I decide which chateaux to approach to book a visit, I would appreciate knowing a little more about the sort of wines I'm likely to find there. Are they bold or refined? Is the quality of different vintages constant or highly variable? I don't really need a list of chateaux - there's plenty of those on the internet. But I would like to get the perspective of an expert wine commentator (assuming the author is one) on why I should visit certain chateaux instead of others. Are the big producers still at the top of the league? Are there smaller underrated chateaux that are worth visiting? This book doesn't actually tell you.

In summary, this book hasn't really helped me as much as I expected in planning my trip to the Bordeaux region - and I think I'll save space in my luggage by leaving it a home..

Used & New from: £0.30