5.0 out of 5 stars High standards maintained
Excellent value overview of the previous year's best SF. There's always a few stories that alert you to some truly talented authors. If you're interested in SF this is an essential purchase.
Published on 14 Feb 2010 by Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection
This is a great collection, as usual from Mr. Dozois.
This is the same book as 'The Year's Best Science Fiction Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection' ISBN 0312551053, which is more expensive in Aug '09.
Published on 26 Aug 2009 by Mr. P. Townsend

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection, 26 Aug 2009
Mr. P. Townsend "JC" (Bristol. U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of Best New Science Fiction (Paperback)
This is a great collection, as usual from Mr. Dozois.

5.0 out of 5 stars High standards maintained, 14 Feb 2010
Paul "paullatham" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Collection of Engaging Science Fiction, 8 Jun 2011
John M. Ford "johnDC" (near DC, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of Best New Science Fiction (Paperback)
Gardner Dozois gives us the grand tour of top-notch science fiction stories from 2008. The anthology includes a chapter-length summation of developments in the field during 2008, a set of well-chosen stories, and an impressive list of "Honorable Mentions" that motivated readers can track down and enjoy. I read all 30 stories and felt my time was well-spent with each one.

My six favorites from this year's collection all deal with our humanity, skillfully using the innovations of technology and the wonders of other worlds to examine our hearts:

Ted Kosmatka's "N-Words" explores love, pain and prejudice in a relationship between a woman and one of modern man's closest cousins.

Karl Schroeder's "The Hero" tells the story of a boy who pays forward a kindness.

Mary Robinnette Kowal's "Evil Robot Monkey" asks whether animals are made more human by increasing their intelligence or increasing our empathy.

Greg Egan's "Crystal Nights" shows that the evolution of a new species can be more effective and efficient if the right man is in charge.

Garth Nix's "Old Friends" shows us that our roots are at home, even when we don't want to return there.

Ian McDonald's "The Tear" is an action- and concept-packed tale of childhood friendship under change--after change, after change.

This collection is highly recommended. I enjoyed it all the more as a "guilty pleasure" read on my iPhone Kindle app while those around me assumed I was scheduling or engaging in some other grown-up activity.

WARNING: The thirty stories in this collection are exactly the same 30 stories found in The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Sixth Annual Collection. In fact, these two books seem to be the same except for different titles and covers. Don't buy both expecting them to be separate books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff, 10 May 2011
W. R. T. Peppe (Newcastle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of Best New Science Fiction (Paperback)
I loved this collection - consistently strong stories that are never cliched. A must read for any fans of sf short fiction. Thumbs up from my girlfriend too.

5.0 out of 5 stars SF 22, 9 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of Best New Science Fiction (Paperback)
Excellent as usual; quite how he continually finds excellent stories for all his compilations is amazing. I have no doubt that his introductions are as good as the stories but I never read themn.

The Mammoth Book of Best New Science Fiction
The Mammoth Book of Best New Science Fiction by Gardner Dozois (Paperback - 17 Aug 2009)
Used & New from: 0.01