4.0 out of 5 stars A useful practical introduction to CBT for depression
I have found this very useful to listen to in the car to and from work. The overall tone is very calm, balanced and engenders a sense of kindness to oneself which is easy to overlook in todays rushed world.

Published on 3 Mar 2009 by bigflat

3.0 out of 5 stars A little dissapointing
I work within a CBT framework and am always looking for tools that I can give to my patients to aid their self-knowledge.

I bought this and listened to it in the car before recommending it to others.

Published on 21 Jan 2011 by Mr. Robert Fletcher

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful practical introduction to CBT for depression, 3 Mar 2009
This review is from: Overcoming Depression: Talks with Your Therapist (Audio CD)

It can't replace structured CBT sessions but in my life there isn't time or the money for CBT and this is a useful halfway house, especially as prof Gilbert possesses a rather sagacious mind.

CD1 is pretty generic depression information but CD2 is where this package really shines, and is useful to listen to several times when you need a calming practical voice.

I would also strongly recommend his self-help book on depression and his book aimed at trainees in CBT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good self help cd, 14 Jan 2011
D. Johnston "D,J," (U.K.) - See all my reviews
Have listened to this many times.Drive for a living and listen nearly everyday.Makes a lot of sense and puts things into perspective.If you follow the methods set out i have found a change in mood.The brain is a powerfull tool and this cd offers some usefull tips on control of thought which in turn helps your mood.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little dissapointing, 21 Jan 2011

I bought this and listened to it in the car before recommending it to others.

Broadly I think the style is not great. Paul is someone who I respect (the Compassionate Mind is very useful) as an author and thinking in CBT. I found his style somewhat uninspiring, with audio books it is easy to drift off and not really hear what is being said. I found this happening to me a great deal.

On that, I would certainly set aside a 20 minute slot each day to listen to each section rather than just listening to it all in 1 or 2 sittings.

He talks you through the nature of depression and some broad ideas about the brain and lifestyle and then focuses on his ideas of kindness towards the self. He then uses lots of Mindfulness ideas. All of this is good. But, by the time I had got on to the second CD I had mostly lost my focus.

Hmmmm, I think I might just work differently to Mr Gilbert. I wouldn't focus on the Psychoeducational aspects so much and more on the maintaining cycles of Depression.

Overall, not as good as I was hoping but still useful in parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 13 Mar 2012
I found this very good and it helped me with my depression and anything that helps is good well worth buying

3.0 out of 5 stars OVERCOMING DEPRESSION, 20 April 2011
I think this is very good reading. I personally haven't found it to work for me. However I shall read and re-read it in the hope that I can put everything that is written into practice.
It is quite possible that others will find it to be of great help.

4.0 out of 5 stars Audio Book, 15 Jun 2009
Great audio book, makes a lot of sense. The relaxation part I found very helpful and I use it often to get to sleep.

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it!, 10 Jan 2014
It wasn't helpfull and didn't answer my questions. I don't recommend it. Also too many irrelevant informations. I don't recommed it!

Overcoming Depression: Talks with Your Therapist
Overcoming Depression: Talks with Your Therapist by Paul Gilbert (Audio CD - 25 Oct 2007)
10.99