Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 June 2014
As the name suggests, this book had a mammoth amount of alternate histories which were each more different than the last. While I found some of the short stories incredibly engaging and interesting, some were nowhere near as good as others. Although the good outweighed the bad, I did find myself wishing that some of the histories would just end or, at one point, wondering how the story had anything to do with alternate history at all.
Would I recommend it? Yes I would, but I'd also advise a pinch of salt with some of the stories too.
on 16 December 2014
I preferred some of the stories to others, but I guess that is always going to be the case with a collection.
on 30 September 2012
The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories: Over 40 Fascinating Stories of Worlds That Might Have Been (Mammoth Books)
This book was well packed, and arrived in perfect condition. The reason why I only gave it 4 stars is explained in the following.
I bought this book because I have always been intrigued with the concept of "what would happen if you turned right instead of left" or "What if Hitler had died as an infant/child", and there was no world war two?
I must admit that I am very disappointed with the stories of "what if" as they are quite boring, they don't seem to have an end, just a beginning and a middle, but no ending, they just seem to stop, as if the writer meant to go back and finish them another day.
The first story, which is based on the sinking of the Titanic, used the alternate view that all but a few people survived the sinking. They ended up on a raft which held all the ones that got off. I read it, but it is so very far fetched, and when I got to the end of that story, it just stopped! It was such a shock, that I almost turned the book up and shook it, as if the ending was hiding. Well, I never said I was sane!!!
I did start reading the second story, but after five pages I just had to give up. The book is now in the charity box to go to the Red Cross, as I am sure that someone will buy it, as I did, to see what the Alternate Histories are.
on 30 September 2014
Alternative histories are good if plausible. A nice compendium here of well written shorts here.
on 11 May 2012
Like all sets of short stories I enjoyed some more than others. No doubt some of my favourites would be others' dislikes. But that's the great thing about short stories - you get more than one idea within the pages of a single book. Overall though I thoroughly enjoyed it. My favourite has to be an alternative to the Titanic disaster where the crew and passengers make a huge raft before the ship sinks. There's more to the story but I wont spoil it.

I got this during a sale so only paid 0.99p so am more than happy with the value for money. If I had to pay the standard GBP5.49 I probably wouldn't have taken the risk in the first place but having read them I would recommend the book at this price. I've given it 4 stars instead of 5 because, as to be expected, there were some stories not on my wavelength.
VINE VOICEon 23 January 2011
I approached this book with a lot of hope - I've read one or two alternate history short stories and enjoyed them and wanted to explore the genre. Unfortunately, I won't be exploring much more if this selection was typical.

As another reviewer has already said, there was much too much inclusion of "explanations" for the alternatives - instead of just living in a "different" reality, too many characters throughout this selection said things like "How different our lives would have been if the shot fired at Archduke Ferdinand in 1914 had HIT him. Imagine the repercussions . . ". It ruined many of the stories for me.

I quite see that this was the trigger on which the story was based - but how about letting the reader work it out rather than have the author brag about how BRIGHT they are?

I'm prepared to give an extra star because there were a couple of good ones, but I didn't enjoy the vast majority.
on 6 February 2014
Good stories but sometimes it takes almost to the end of the story before you can work out what type of alternate history it is. This takes away some of the enjoyment of the story as you can't put everything into context.
on 9 February 2014
This is a reasonable collection of 'alternate history' stories. I enjoyed some of them, but I think this book will appeal mainly to existing fans of science fiction who are interested in this type of SF story.
on 2 October 2014
Quite a mixed bag, but some are very good and make it worthwhile.
on 3 June 2011
Although some of the stories have been already published in other books (and have achieved the "classic" status, like "Catch that zeppelin", by Fritz Leiber), the new contributions are very good, as is the case of the hillarious (and thoughtful) James Morrow's "The raft of the Titanic".

In short, an excellent anthology.