5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful
Published on 7 Mar 2009 by Foxylock

3.0 out of 5 stars Samey
Whilst I loved the book 'I Had a Black Dog', I wasn't so keen on this one as I don't think the cartoons and lack of text work well for the target audience. Why would a someone living with a depressive need a book like the last. It feels and bit samey when compared to the other book.
Published 22 months ago by Martensgirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 7 Mar 2009
This review is from: Living with a Black Dog (Paperback)
As someone who has a black dog of his own I sometimes find it difficult to describe my emotions and how black the mood can actually get. My wife found this book extremely useful in helping her to understand just how debilitating depression is. Instead of her watching me suffer this book has empowered her to take a more pro-active role in my recovery whilst still looking after herself. This book emphasizes the need for the carer to also take care of themselves. I think this book is written coherently and inspires hope and shows us how relationships can strengthen and not crumble because of this condition. So if the black dog is in your house maybe this book can help with the communication side of things, it certainly helped me. Take care...

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful resource for depressed people and their families, 3 Feb 2009
This review is from: Living with a Black Dog (Paperback)
This book is written in a smililar way to 'I Have A Black Dog'. It is easy to read and non time consuming. It helps to re-assure people with depression and their families that the experiences they are having are a normal part of the illness. It leaves the readers with an air of hope and shows they are far from alone. May even be useful to show children of people with depression.
Also has a list of resources at the back for further help.

I love these books and think they should be in GP waiting rooms!

5.0 out of 5 stars On the money, 1 Mar 2009
neonoctafish (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living with a Black Dog (Paperback)
Matthew and Ainsley Johnstone tell it like it is. Filled with simple but lucid insights into both depression and being on the receiving end. It offers a perfect vehicle for a couple dealing with a potential relationship-breaker in a mature and calm way. Particularly useful for defusing and explaining the likely flashpoints. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 1 Mar 2009
MH (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living with a Black Dog (Paperback)
I bought both 'Black Dog' books for a close family friend. They have been amazingly helpful to both him and us all, in trying to understand and appreciate his condition and the dark place he has found himself in. We have all found them of great support. Thankfully, he seems to have turned a corner and improving. I would recommend these books to anyone and their family/friends experiencing the dreadful effects of depression on a loved one.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last a resource for those 'married' to depression, 19 Mar 2010
This review is from: Living with a Black Dog (Paperback)
I've been looking for a resource like this for years (living with a depressed spouse for 15 years) - and at last here it is. Even our children understood it and laughed at some of the pictures. Both Black Dog books are helpful to start conversations about the illness with close friends or family who dont understand depression (and say the most unhelpful things like "pull your socks up" "get a life" etc). Its covers everything about the signs and symptoms and how to spot them (the pictures were so true!) and its full of constructive advice ('self-preservation for the care-giver', 'simple rules of engagement and agreement' and the 'backup plan').The Johnstones are not alone. Although I had learned many of these truths the hard way over the years I hope this book saves others the heart-ache and separations we've been through, especially if newly diagnosed. Its a 'must-read' for all family/partners of those with depression. A huge thank you to the Johnstones.

5.0 out of 5 stars light in a dark tunnel, 9 Mar 2009
This review is from: Living with a Black Dog (Paperback)
This book has been like a light in a very dark tunnel. If only I had read it sooner.... then I would have understood so much more. If you are supporting someone with depression then this will be a life line get one now don't wait. It is easy to read, easy to understand and easy to recognize the life you are living now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really usefull, 2 Sep 2010
This review is from: Living with a Black Dog (Paperback)
This book is great when read together with the other one, I had a black dog. Read one then swap - everything will fall into place. I thought I was very useless in help my partner dealing with the depression, but this book showed that I was doing the right things - and sometimes it's just sitting on the sofa with a nice cup of tea and listen to the other one!

5.0 out of 5 stars LLiving with a black dog, 18 Jun 2009
S. Finlay (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living with a Black Dog (Paperback)
A brilliantly straightforward way to explain how depression affects the person living with someone struggling with it,using humour coupled with compassion.I've recommended it for people I know who have depression and also those who have relationships with depressives.There is too much of a stigma attached to depression, yet it affects a significant percentage of the population.Lack of understanding adds to the pain of depression.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tells it like it is., 29 Jun 2009
Mr. S. F. BRUNNING "Baron" (Spalding, Lincs, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living with a Black Dog (Paperback)
This book certainly tells it like it is. They say a picture paints a thousand words and in this publication thats the way it is.
I gained so much comfort from this book and not a few laughs and I was able to recommend it to a friend who also purchased it and its companion publication and much appreciated it.

4.0 out of 5 stars It described me....., 1 April 2011
This review is from: Living with a Black Dog (Paperback)
This is a good book and it completely described me, which was scary.... My husband and I sat and looked through it together and it was beneficial. However my husband did comment that it didn't give enough advice as to how to deal with certain situations. I think this is a good book if you want to try and explain to someone how you feel and how the depression affects you, in a light hearted way. I would recommend this book and I am glad it is on our bookshelf. I also showed it to my 13 year old to look at.

Living with a Black Dog
Living with a Black Dog by Matthew Johnstone (Paperback - 29 Jan 2009)