5.0 out of 5 stars A chilling read.
I believe this was Peter Haining's last published title before he died and he has gone out with a bang.
Enclosed within are 'true' stories and recollections of many creepy and ghostly happenings.
Whether you believe them or not is entirely up to you but I challenge you to read them alone at night and not feel an icy chill run up your spine.
A great book for...
Published on 4 Dec. 2008 by M. Crossman

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost enough ghost stories to feed a craving...
Published on 21 Feb. 2012 by Cari Hislop

5.0 out of 5 stars A chilling read., 4 Dec. 2008
M. Crossman (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings (Paperback)
A great book for the horror or ghost lover.
Mr Haining has produced the goods. He can rest in peace.
Thank you Peter.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent collection, 3 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings (Paperback)
Peter Haining (whose book was published posthumously) has included a lifetime's worth of collected material - including newspaper articles covering a century of reports, a wide variety of reputable personages recounting their experiences with ghosts, eyewitness accounts from profressional journalists, a chapter on theories put forth by experts, a 'phantoms of the world' glossary at the end, and a lot more besides. This book is packed with well sourced evidence from the anecdotal to the professional investigators' of the paranormal. It is both engaging, informative and never boring (which all too many books on the 'afterlife' and 'hauntings', despite such a fascinating topic, are). Highly recommended.

P.S. If Peter Hainings compilation appeals, the book 'Night Side of Nature' by Catherine Crowe is sure to please. It was first published in 1848 and enjoyed great success for 50 years but now, unfortunately, is largely forgotten, though it most recently was reprinted by Wordsworth. Night Side of Nature is a paranormal tour de force. It is packed with almost 400 pages of accounts of apparitions of all varieties interspersed with arguments for and against investigators conclusions and opinions and is possibly the single best all around read on ghostly experiences. Catherine Crowe was also the first person to bring the word 'poltergeist' into the English language - the famous discussion is included in the Wordsworth publication which brings both volumes into one book. (A wee note - when Mrs Crowe writes of 'somnambules' she is basically referring to mediums of the day; when speaking of 'magnetism' she is referring what contemporary investigators might call 'psychic energy' or, more esoterically, 'magical sympathy').

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost enough ghost stories to feed a craving..., 21 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings (Paperback)
I purchased this book to feed a ghost story craving and my craving was nearly satiated. There are a few weird stories that I thought might have been put in a separate book (sexual encounters with ghosts? OK! Whatever!), but with 457 pages of actual stories, this book is a bargain. I think I love "true" ghost stories because most of the story is left out and I can wonder what might have happened (I'm a writer). This book offers lots stories with lots of space to wonder, but there were a number of stories I skipped over because they sounded boring or made up. I enjoyed the book, but it will never be a favorite and I can't imagine reading it again unlike Catherine Crowe's The Night Side of Nature. That is an amazing book for numerous reasons. The Night Side of Nature I can see myself reading again and again not only because Crowe is excellent at retelling ghost stories, but because she engages the brain and makes one think of all sorts of things that have nothing to do with the paranormal.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disapointing, 13 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings (Paperback)
I Thought it would be a bit more "developed" that this. It's clippings from newspapers and other sort of news put together in a book. It's historically interesting as you can clearly see how people wrote the news in late 1900's ( Headless pumpkin ghost attacks Ms.Crowley by "boooooooing" her at night ) kinda thing...
Then in the also late 60's you start to get some interesting well written articles which actually compensate the poor ones :)

As I said, historically speaking is a 5 star, for the average ghost story freak is a 1... So that's why I've placed it in the middle and gave it a 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, loads of reading., 18 Mar. 2010
Mr. Raymond P. Godwin "Godi" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It does say on the front 'modern' hauntings, but then begins in 1900, I guess it's all relative where ghosts are concerned! Great value for money with masses of accounts to browse through and enjoy. I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bustin' makes me feel good!, 9 Oct. 2013
Hal Marshall "It wasn't me!" (Brentwood) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings (Paperback)
As Peter Haining's posthumously published editorial swansong, this is a highly entertaining and thoughtful read and has every right to wear its own self-proclaimed boast of being 'the definitive record of real-life hauntings in modern times'; and to wear it with some pride too.

As Mr Haining himself mentions, the book is 'the result of almost half a century of research into incidents of true hauntings'. As such, it combines personal accounts, newspaper stories and extracts from other works concerned with the supernatural and the paranormal. It is organised into nine different sections, with an additional bibliography and a somewhat geographically restricted list of 'research organisations' who one would presumably call in the event that the 'Ghostbusters' proved to be a bit supernaturally snowed under.

I have a very general interest in ghosts and their associated stories, but I actually bought this for my two little relatives (aged 8 and 5) - although I am not for one moment proposing that it is suitable for anyone of that age to read by themselves, not at all. However, they are currently involved in a very enthusiastic countdown to Hallowe'en which originally seemed to be based, almost in its entirety, upon the anticipated excitement of their dressing up as witches and eating sweets. Well, I figured that I, with the help of this book, ought to at least try to add a little bit more 'substance' to their whole Hallowe'en experience. So, I read the stories myself and then I either read a suitably child-friendly abridged version straight back to them or I retell the story in a suitably child-friendly manner. And jolly successful this has been so far too. Although, for obvious reasons, the section on 'Phantom Lovers' has been totally ignored in my bespoke attempts at emulating 'Jackanory'.

I mentioned the nine different sections, didn't I? Well, let's just take a closer look at each of those;

1. A Century of Hauntings - this is a collection of apparently paranormal newspaper articles, presented in chronological order, covering the period of time from 1900 to the year 2000. Each article only takes up perhaps half a page at most and they are fascinating just as snapshots of history, never mind their ghostly angle.

2. The Ghost Hunters - fifty authentic accounts of supernatural events from well-known and well-respected paranormal investigators like Tony Cornell, Archie Roy and Peter Underwood.

3. Phantoms in the Sky - a short but fascinating collection of accounts relating to hauntings within the field of aviation.

4. Encounters With The Unknown - journalists' eyewitness tales

5. Haunted Stars - stories from the world of showbusiness. Telly Savalas' incredibly famous tale of being given a lift to a petrol station one night by a ghost appears, as does the 'Tyrone Power Is Dead' experience that happened to Vincent Price. But there are an awful lot of less well-known accounts included too.

6. Supernatural Tales - these are 'true' ghost stories from famous authors. I'm a literary philistine, so most of the authors I had never even heard of (Barbara Cartland, Frederick Forsyth and Dennis Wheatley being among the more notable exceptions)... but it doesn't alter the fact that first-hand supernatural accounts are always fascinating, no matter who is telling you about them.

7. Phantom Lovers - oh, my giddy aunt. Some of the stories here are very explicit indeed, both in language and description. But tales of entities who have not allowed death to in any way dampen their libido have been reported, so Peter Haining was quite justified in including such reports in his 'definitive' work.

8. What Are Ghosts? - a collection of theories on the answer to that question put forward by a host of noted experts.

9. An A-Z of Ghosts - it's only twenty pages long and alphabetically lists a variety of different global supernatural phenomena.

All in all, this is a very good read. It can be easily dipped in and out of and presents the stories impartially, for the reader to decide just how much they choose to believe. And there are some genuinely chilling tales contained within these pages. None more so, as far as I am concerned, than the singer Tommy Steele's presumably paranormal account on page 384. I don't know how many times I have read that but it never fails to send a genuine shiver down my spine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Book, 16 Feb. 2013
A. Kennedy (Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings (Paperback)
This book is good if you want to have a catalog of hauntings but it doesn't give you much detail. It is worth a buy if your interested in the paranormal.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't hold my interest, 2 Sept. 2013
Wasn't an easy book to get into and didn't keep my attention. Didn't read most of it. Wouldn't recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ILLUMINATING, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings (Paperback)
If you are interested in this strange phenomenon then this book is for you. The late Peter Haining (who will be greatly missed by students of the paranormal) has presented these accounts of hauntings by category of newspaper article, "ghost hunter" reports etc. so a very wide spectrum of events and viewpoints is covered. Of particular interest is the section covering serious attempts to consider what these experiences actually mean. Of all the books on ghosts and hauntings I have read (and I have read plenty!), this is the most truly illuminating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic value for money, 4 Mar. 2013
As an afficionado of true ghost tales, I've waded through through many works of wildly varying quality and originality, and have found this to be one of the best. It covers a wide range of experiences, many of which were new to me, and does so with style and verve, yes, and with a pretty high chill factor. The only comparable works I can think of are Ian Wilson's In Search of Ghosts and pretty much anything by Joan Forman or Hans Holzer. Highly recommended, a great buy.

The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings
The Mammoth Book of True Hauntings by Peter Haining (Paperback - 16 Oct. 2008)