5.0 out of 5 stars A really sensible and helpful book
Published on 7 April 2009 by Al

3.0 out of 5 stars good tips with step by step plans
YOu get out what you put in, and here its true, found it really helpfull to work along side the book, instead of just thinking about it.
Published on 29 Nov 2009 by whiteheart

5.0 out of 5 stars A really sensible and helpful book, 7 April 2009
Al (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overcoming Worry (Paperback)
There is so much advice about overcoming anxiety and worrying that it is sometimes difficult to know where to start and what to believe. This book is brilliant because it helps you understand your problem, and then empowers you to overcome it for yourself. One of the symptoms of anxiety is to search for lots of information, but I would encourage anyone to avoid reading all the anxiety related horror stories on the web - what is the point? Instead, take control of your own life and read this book. It was recommended to me by my cognitive behavioural therapist.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book could help you change your life, 23 Jan 2009
This review is from: Overcoming Worry (Paperback)
The book itself is practical and easy to follow but encompassess all the latest expert thinking on worry and GAD (the clinical form of excess worry) and the anxiety that it causes. It helped me to go on a journey of self discovery and empowerment so that a year later my attitude to life was different - I thought I'd never say it but I just don't worry about things as much! I still have worry's and ups and downs but not as intense or for as long, I know I will get through and what is happening. I embrace change in life more, I do things I used to avoid because they would cause worry and anxiety and CAN tolerate the uncertainty life brings much better. This book will take you through the reasons why you worry, what your life rules are which drive your worry (which are usually not obvious), the behaviours and internal thought processes which spark worry and keep it going and most importantly how to challenge them and how to overcome them methodically and through changing your behaviour and thought processes to worrisome events. It won't give you that 100% certainty you are always looking for (through reassurance say or checking) that the problems you are worried about won't happen, that's impossible and it's not about that, it's about solving what you can on any given problem and then turning the 'worry dial' down so that you can manage and tolerate the incertaintly that is left and look at the problem from a more productive perspective without as much fear/anxiety.
The are many interactive sections of the book which is brilliant because it allows you to slot your own personal reasons and ways you worry into its easy to follow frameworks and then discuss how to improve the situation. It will allow you to recognise when in certain situations it is normal to worry, but in others it is fruitless and driven by a number of habitual thoughts and behaviours. It then shows how worrying can stop you in your tracks, making you indecisive, reluctant to take action and on the defensive looking for 100% answers to problems that aren't always possible to answer which leads to more anxiety (which in turn drives more worry). So if you want to break this cycle then buy this book!
This book is not about just thinking more positively either, that often leads to a false sense of security which doesn't last, moreover a step by step guide or signpost to a better sense of control and attitude. It doesn't focus on the object of your worry (although it does cover many common worry themes), afterall we all know this can change one day to the next, but on the attitudes and beliefs you are holding on to that can be broken like habits.
I have always been a worrier, ranging from a background sense of unease and foreboding to fully blown bouts of panicky worry and self absorbtion depending largely on what was happening in my life. After deciding I was worrying and feeling anxious too much to often, I researched worry as a problem and decided to take action, hence this book.
Kevin Meares and and Mark Freeston are experts in this field and the book has all the latest thinking and knowledge behind it. A truly life changing book if you want it to be!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, 16 Jun 2011
This review is from: Overcoming Worry (Paperback)
Firstly I think i should say that i am not the type of person who would usually write a review but I thought I should let you know how AMAZING this book is.
I have suffered with PTSD/Anxiety/Depression/Worry for a number of years. Within a few pages of this book it felt like the penny dropped, I noticed immediate relief of the symptoms of worry.
The book is well thought out, it is split into easy to understand information that everyone can relate to and understand. Following the exercises in the book over the past couple of weeks has lead to a marked reduction in all my symptoms. To put it simply I cant recommend this book enough, if worry plays a negative part in your life, BUY THIS BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful book, 6 Dec 2013
P. Robinson "Maybrook binder" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overcoming Worry (Paperback)
I suffered serious worry problems, i thought i was going to have a breakdown. i bought this book hoping to find answers and i have. I recommend this book to anyone who suffers with worry and anxiety problems

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% recommended, 21 Oct 2010
Ms. C. R. Stillman-lowe "Cathy SL" (Reading Berks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Overcoming Worry (Paperback)
If you worry more than you'd like, then this book could help. It's very clearly written, and well designed, with lots of review points and short sections to help those who find large swathes of text too much to cope with. I'd recommend it very strongly both for those who worry, and for those who care for those who worry. Professionals might also find it useful.

3.0 out of 5 stars good tips with step by step plans, 29 Nov 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD BOOK ON WORRY/GAD, 2 Aug 2009
This review is from: Overcoming Worry (Paperback)
another excellent book in the overcoming series..full of useful tips for clinicians and general public alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD ADVICE, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Overcoming Worry (Paperback)
It is good to know that someone does understand my problem and I am not the only one who suffers. Well written. I keep it by me and often refer to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: Overcoming Worry (Kindle Edition)
Simple to follow, interesting perspective. I found this book extremely helpful. It has helped me to identify triggers and patterns of worry and take corrective steps to reduce the amount that I worry. I highly recommend this book. I especially recommend reading it with a partner, friend or confidant with whom you can discuss what you've read as this is likely to speed up the process, but it is still extremely worth reading alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative book., 11 April 2013
This review is from: Overcoming Worry (Paperback)
A very informative yet easy to understand book. As used by therapists and very well written. A very useful book to refer too when needed for self help.

Overcoming Worry
Overcoming Worry by Kevin Meares (Paperback - 28 Feb 2008)
7.69