5.0 out of 5 stars Expresses in pictures what words struggle to
I couldn't agree more with the previous reviewer. This is a fantastic book - helpful personally and for lending. It is one of those books that you can easily put in the had of someone in the midst of the darkest of moments without feeling that it will be too pushy, overwhelming, bossy or wordy.

I'm not actually a great believer in the adage that a picture is...
Published on 11 Jun 2007 by Mark Meynell

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly short
Interesting, but so, so short. Read the whole thing in 5 minutes. Nice cartoons, but not much writing. Could have been a pamphlet. So although good, way overpriced and not substantial.
Published 13 months ago by 70s

5.0 out of 5 stars Expresses in pictures what words struggle to, 11 Jun 2007
Mark Meynell "quaesitor" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I Had a Black Dog (Paperback)

I'm not actually a great believer in the adage that a picture is worth more than 1000 words. For they have different functions and work best in different contexts. But the greatest art can brilliantly capture the full reality of life, with all its visceral emotions and heady passions as well as its bleak despair and lostness. Now the pictures in this book are not exactly great art as such and you wouldn't expect to find them in a posh gallery. But they DO capture the reality of depression - in such a way as to say 'i know how you feel' without overtones of being sickeningly glib and condescending. For Matthew Johnstone is clearly someone who knows what it feels like - he's been there and still battles.

So when someone is really under the storm-clouds, they can at least point to some of the individual pages in this book, and without fuss, struggles or even words, immediately articulate what it's like. That can only be good for those struggling to battle and those struggling to love those who battle.

Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Jun 2007
This review is from: I Had a Black Dog (Paperback)
I adore this book! I'm suffering from depression, have been for a few years, and I find it difficult to express in words how I feel. These pictures really sum it up for me. It reminds me that I'm not alone, others feel the same too. I've been making my closest friends read this so they can see.

The only thing, for me, is that I have no happy ending yet. It says if you take the right steps it will pass, but this isn't true for me.

But I've seen nothing like this before, and I'll continue buying it for people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 28 Oct 2007
JupiterHarley (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Had a Black Dog (Paperback)
This book says it all in a very simple way, and gives people who don't suffer from depression an idea of what it is like to live with. For loved ones, friends or family, who don't suffer, this book offers a glimpse into what can be a very lonely place for those that are suffering. This book can be read in about 5 minutes, page to page, but it says what a 300 page book says, with pictures and clear simple statements. So much simpler for loved ones and friends to understand quickly but with understanding.

It also helps people who do suffer see that they are not alone and that depression is something that can be lived with.

I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has become my friend, 6 July 2008
Ian Walker (Staffordshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Had a Black Dog (Paperback)
I am just recovering from my latest 'depressive episode' and wish I had found this book earlier. Instantly puts into images the feelings I have being suffering from and not able to describe myself. This book is so small and light-weight I can carry it anywhere, I find it an enormous help to read whenever the dark thoughts come. This is exactly what you need when your concentration is low, 10 minutes cover to cover and instantly feel lifted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black dog explained, 27 Nov 2011
This review is from: I Had a Black Dog (Paperback)
I have a "Blck Dog" but I could not explain what it was like and I would try to tell relatives and even my Wife. Now along comes Matthew Johnstone and now I just hand people this book and they "get the Picture" and I can even laugh at how Matthew explaines the "Curse" by the use of cartoons plus the book is so easy to read. This is a book for everyone not just for the likes of me!
By the way I had a black dog, a Labrador, and his uncoditional love saved me many times, His name was Julius.

5.0 out of 5 stars if you suffer depression gices this book to family and friends, 29 Sep 2008
This review is from: I Had a Black Dog (Paperback)
I have suffered depression for years but have found it hard to describe or explain to anyone who has not had this condition. This book helped liberate me and let family and friends understand me more fully.

They say a picture paints a thousand words and this is true of this book. It doesn't sanitise depression or sensationalise it but rather shows how most of us who live with it, well, um, live with it.

I have read other text books on depression which are great but for family & friends this is the one they should read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 21 Jun 2008
R. Lloyd (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Had a Black Dog (Paperback)
I have little to add to previous reviews. I'm a very verbal person, not very visual. But when I'm deeply in my depression I can't concentrate long enough to process ideas properly. Someone gave me this book and the simple pictures touched me as words couldn't. I felt understood. The way in which Andrew Johnstone simultaneously externalises and owns his depression - it's a black dog that takes you over, but at the same time it's one you've got to learn to accept and live with - is to me the best way of thinking about it.

I've lent this book out many times, including to a couple of clinical psychologists and a consultant psychiatrist, and they've all loved it. Please do buy or recommend it for anyone you know who has a black dog of their own, or who is close to anyone with one.

5.0 out of 5 stars It captured how I felt..., 19 Oct 2009
This review is from: I Had a Black Dog (Paperback)
i came across this book last year when my depressive breakdown was at its worst and I went from being articulate to being unable to describe even to myself what it felt like. When I saw this book I had to have it - it summed up all those complex emotions and effects. I showed it to people to say what I couldn't for myself. It was like discovering that someone else really did understand...

I am buying Living with a Black Dog expecting the same simple yet profound insights. There are lots of books about what depression is, causes and treatment approaches, but they are too heavy in the worst fog, or full of lots of expectations - this gives snapshots of insight not neat answers, but that is what is so powerful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A picture speaks a thousand words, 22 April 2009
Mrs. J. Wyman "Julie Wyman, counsellor" (Newton Abbot, Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Had a Black Dog (Paperback)
In my work as a counsellor I come across many people suffering from depression. It really is the most terrible illness and the stigma attached to it by our society just helps to make the sufferer's life worse - nobody chooses to have depression and they can't 'just pull themselves together' - it's not that simple!
This book is amazing, there is not one of my clients that I have shown it to who cannot relate to all or part of it. A few have just broken down in tears as here, finally, is the proof that someone else understands what they are going through.
I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone suffering from depression or even anybody who knows someone suffering from depression. Matthew Johnstone shows that he has been there, understands how it feels and that there is indeed every hope for recovery. This is so important for people who are currently in the depths of despair.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only buy one book on the subject..., 8 July 2011
This review is from: I Had a Black Dog (Paperback)
...make it this one. It tells you all you need to know (and as importantly, other people you might need to know) about how this illness disables people so radically.

It's serious and humorous at the same time, making it a joy to read. A truly important book.

ARRAY(0xb46d6e04)

I Had a Black Dog
I Had a Black Dog by Matthew Johnstone (Paperback - 24 May 2007)
5.59