Published on 10 April 2007 by Mr. Ralph Early

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish it...
Before I begin, i must stress that i only managed to read the first 3 chapters. So this isn't so much of a review, more of a quick overview of why i couldn't finish it which might have an impact on certain potential readers.

Published on 10 Jun. 2008 by Mr. Dc Bassant

5.0 out of 5 stars Tesco's corrosive effects on culture, society and the planet., 10 April 2007
Mr. Ralph Early (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tescopoly: How One Shop Came Out on Top and Why it Matters (Paperback)
With a well crafted argument, supported by many references and illustrations, Andrew Simms explains that the supermarkets - and in the UK especially Tesco - are now a corrosive feature within our society. He tells of how their actions undermine our food culture and wider aspects of culture and society, how they destroy local and regional economies, and how they are endangering the environment and the planet in their quest for continuous growth in sales. He explains how the supermarkets and particularly Tesco have been able to achieve their frightening level of power within our society and, consequently, how our individual freedoms as consumers and citizens are being erroded. He also explains how Tesco (and others) have been able to get what they want for business growth by manipulating planning laws, bullying local councils, threatening farmers and suppliers, and eliminating competitors - the independent food stores - through unfair and anti-competitive practices. Amazingly, this has occurred with the full support of the Government. Essentially, Tescopoly tells of of the failure of the market economy and of how the supermarkets are being allowed to achieve monopoly status in the UK food marketplace and in many other countries.

Tescopoly is essential reading for students of marketing, business, management and retail management, and anyone with an interest in the workings of the food marketplace and the oppressive and destructive power of big business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exegesis of social consequences of corporatism, 29 Jan. 2008
J. Smith "Jonnie Falafel" (Harrogate,UK) - See all my reviews
Blimey, did I read a different book? Judging by some of the unfair criticism I read here I can only assume TESCO must've bombed the site with reviews! I found 'Tescopoly' readable and enjoyable - so much so that I decided to stock it in the little North Yorkshire organic grocery store I run. Well, go and try to find an independent bookstore to buy it? Any luck?

Little business is gradually disappearing from the streets of our towns and cities, replaced by faceless uniformity... call me old fashioned but I just don't want to live that way. When all the little shops have gone there'll be no place for titles like this one. I can't see the supermarkets stocking it alongside the next installment of Jordans biography can you?

5.0 out of 5 stars critical, 24 July 2013
a clearly critical look at tescos revealing lots of dodgy practises,how it helps to shut local shops replacing them with fewer jobs lower pay and less money going back into the community.how it blasts its way thru planning regulations.its general negative relationship with suppliers everything you need to know to make you shop less at this ugly shop

4.0 out of 5 stars A Rant with a Strong Thread of Common Sense, 28 July 2008
J. Coulson (UK) - See all my reviews
Like many of this book's reviewers, I think Andrew Simms started out with a conclusion and then researched facts to fit it. The book is unashamedly biased, heavily anecdotal and at times descends into little more than a rant.

However, some of the wider arguments in the book are plain common sense, and difficult to dispute regardless of which reseach you choose: Supermarkets are too big and powerful; They use their power in abusive ways; They suck the life out of communities; The oil-dependent logistics behind their operations are a study in lunacy.

The book is well written and engaging. If you take it with the pinch of salt that any politically savvy reader should, you will enjoy it thoroughly and will probably still want to change your shopping behaviour afterwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well presented account of how Tesco dominates and why it matters, 18 April 2007
Alison "Kindle Allie" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The previous reviewers comments about the book are spot-on, it is an important read about the destructive effects of big business and would be a valuable read for students of business and marketing.

What the previous reviewer doesn't mention is how this book is important on a personal and ethical level. When I realised how ignorant I was about the wide reaching business practices of supermarkets like Tesco and Asda Wal-Mart, I really felt that I had to change the way I bought my food and where I shopped for many other items. I now shop at my local shops; greengrocers, butchers and bakers. It's a liberating experience and one that is important for our local community.

I'll be buying this book for many of my friends and family. It's important that they know about where they shop and the impacts their purchases have on their community and more widely across the world.

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish it..., 10 Jun. 2008
Mr. Dc Bassant (Norwich) - See all my reviews

As a Computer Scientist, i am well aware of good practice when it comes to experiments. One of the main rules is limit the bias, else many of your peers will not take your results as seriously as you might like. This is exactly what i didnt like with this book. Simms hates Tescos, and it shows.

One such niggly example is how he points out that the staff in the Tescos he visits for the purpose of his research arent as happy or bubbly as they are in the ads. I've worked in food retail, it's boring, don't hold that against them! Another example is how he claims he was "treated as a criminal" when his wife was asked not to push their child in a trolley at fast pace down an aisle (while he was researching i imagine) but in all honestly, if an accident occured then Tesco would be liable, so who can blame them?! The first chapters are riddled with examples which show his contempt for Tescos which for me, destroy his credabilty for providing a fair look at the situation, which in my opinion this book should be. If Tesco produced a highly biased overview of the main topics that surround them then i'm sure Simms would pick it to pieces, so asking for neutrality is only fair.

Sorry, this book just isn't for me. If however you don't like big multi-national corporations and want something to further your interest or provide interesting quotes or figures from the people involved then go for it. Simms at least does provide reference in his notes which is a plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life-changing, 13 Jun. 2007
Is the previous reviewer a Tesco employee by any chance? I don't understand how someone could read this incredibly well-researched, powerfully argued book and conclude that supermarkets are fine. I haven't been able to set foot in one since, much to my local butcher's pleasure. This should be required reading for everyone - life improves dramatically once you escape Tesco, I promise

3.0 out of 5 stars Tescopoly: Open Your Eyes, 6 Sept. 2009
I read this book primarily so that I might discover some damning evidence that would cause me to leave the employment of Tesco's (I work as a Customer Assistant for the firm). And there is lots of evidence to support my reasoning. There is a lot in this book to get you riled about the kind of operation Tesco's carry out. However, a recurring theme of the book seemed to be the authors subjectivity regarding Tesco which lessened the authority with which the author had the right to speak. This subjectivity became largely frustrating to read throughout the course of the book.
The book was not an easy read,took me a long time to finish it and I didn't understand all of it. As someone who works for Tesco on the shop floor, I was rather hoping for more insights from my position but could only find 2 quotes which were relevant to me. I also wondered throughout the book, how much of the information presented was entirely accurate and not overtly biased.
There was one question that for me the book didn't answer. If it had been answered straight away it would have given a stronger reference point from which to understand Tesco. I wanted to know what Tesco's motivation is to want to grow and grow so ruthlessly and branch out into several areas of retail?
I could understand what the author was highlighting about Tesco crushing other businesses. I spoke to the owner of my local corner shop and she told me that Tesco was killing her business - and that was something I did not like to hear. I also spoke to a worker at the local Post Office near where I work and she had plenty to say about the detrimental effects Tesco has had on her trade. Certainly, Tesco has done well in building on particular plots of land so that shoppers are persuaded by convenience over quality of food and quality of service. As a result of reading the book, my shopping habits have changed. I now try to shop locally as much as possible.
In the book, I found various cases of where Tesco had been the cause of injustice within it's operations and that is something I absolutely deplore. There are references to injustices in other countries, regarding pay and working conditions.
From personal experience I can say why Tesco fails-This is because they hire staff who do not care about Tesco's and as a result there is no love or passion from those who do all the physical work. From all the Tesco employee's I have spoken to, there is a common feeling that Tesco do not care about you as a person.
I never sympathised with Tesco's aims to begin with and from reading this book, I now advise customers to shop elsewhere if there is a product we do not sell. The only power consumers have against Tesco is to stop giving them money, and to stand firm on any convictions against Tesco.
Certainly I recommend this book if you want to know more about Tesco and the way that it works. Tesco is a big company but that does not mean it can't fall.

1.0 out of 5 stars Clumsy And Muddled, 23 Nov. 2007
Not a particularly good book, and definetly not worth buying.

Simms offers very little insight into Tesco itself and instead gives a lot of very generalized sermons about why big business is bad and how we can save the planet by doing X,Y and Z better.

While I agree with his general message (encourage the small trader, level the playing field in business, use less resources in growing and transporting food, stop global warming, etc etc) it lacks clarity and the book comes across as clumsy and muddled.

If you are looking for the next earth-shattering expose of big business in the vein of Fast Food Nation etc then you will be sorely disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars essential reading for all consumers and farmers, 29 May 2007
I am a young advocate of following the reccomendations of the IPCC and targeting a 90% increase in efficiency in the UK's greenhouse gas emissions, influenced by author George Monbiot. From a global warming perspective, I would say that the stakeholders in the environment, the next generation and the worlds poor, should read this book before the business and marketing sectors rip it to shreads.

My last exam of the spring term was definitely the hardest. I blame Tesco. Or should I blame this new paperback political flick for re-instilling in me a militant anti-authoritarianism. Was it this "capitalism as if the world matters" streak that made me buy this book in the first place?

This book presents my anarcho-capitalist theories in 11 chapters, fully referenced. I think this is a relatively unbiased review of issues such as identity theft, ghost towns and clone towns, competition, land, communities, colonialism, poverty, trade, oil dependency, consumerism, global warming, campaigns, corporate social responsibility, government, and alternatives. All linked to Tesco, like a vaccination.

Few of the facts or stories are new to me as I am an environmental activist and regularly listen to Radio 4. But TESCOPOLY has convinced me to "shop local". Health Warning: Shopping at hypermarkets will destroy your community. ASDA are consciously avoiding energy-saving lightbulbs. Sainsbury's do not sell spare bicycle parts. If supermarkets set the fashion will we ever see life-saving flourescent fashion? You do not have to be an economist to spot the rigged markets, the free parking, the looming Tescopolocalypse.

Tescopoly: How One Shop Came Out on Top and Why it Matters
Tescopoly: How One Shop Came Out on Top and Why it Matters by Andrew Simms (Paperback - 29 Mar. 2007)