5.0 out of 5 stars Superb reference book.
Published on 21 April 2007 by T. Hardy

2.0 out of 5 stars AUTHOR KNOWN
This particular copy of the book was printed faulty,From pages 283 to 308 inclusive
the text was printed in Dutch.I complained to seller who told me "I will send another one"which never arrived but after some phone calls he reunded my money.I have sinced purchased another revised book from other source.
Published 2 months ago by Graham Ager

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb reference book., 21 April 2007
T. Hardy (Yorkshire, ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Somme (Hardcover)
Not only does this book contain period photographic panoramas of the battlefields with 'present day' views (which are superbly done) it also gives the reader a 'blow by blow' account of the Somme battle by using numerous eyewitness reports and detailed photographs, beautifully detailed maps and illustrations. This is a gem of a book and out of all the books I've read on the subject ( too many to mention!) this is unbeaten for generating the atmosphere of the battle, complete with all its horrific detail. If you are planning to visit the battlefield, this book will prove to be a 'must have' companion. Simply one of the best books available on the subject. Buy it and I can guaratee you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely interesting and incredibly moving, 27 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Somme (Hardcover)
I was given this book as a gift and subsequently bought another copy for my mum as a gift. It is incredibly detailed and thoroughly expanded my knowledge of this very sad and terrible time in history. Particularly poignant were the examples of letters and other writings by people actually involved in the battle, including some that never made it home. It bought the history to life and made it human. I would thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Marvellous Book, 28 April 2008
E. A. Redfearn "eredfearn2" (Middlesbrough) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Somme (Hardcover)
I started to research the battles of The Somme during the latter part of the 1960s having watched the superb BBC Series The Great War. Over the years, I have read considerable material and books, many of them rather good, others perhaps not reaching the standard as one would expect of a subject of this nature.

I managed to visit the area during the spring of 1984 and was impressed by what I saw. Indeed the panoramic photos in this book, on pages 138-138, of Mash Valley brought back quite a few memories. And one of the great things about this marvellous book, are the numerous panoramic photgraphs of "Then and Now" showing the reader of what the area was once like, a devastated landscape of horrific images, smashed villages, dead bodies etc, and what the landscape looks like today.

Peter Barton tells the story of a great battle fought during the summer and autumn of 1916, a battle which did not end the war then, but it may have contributed to the eventual defeat of the German Army in 1918 because of the terrible casualties all armies sustained during that conflict within a "War To End All Wars". Supplemented by numerous descriptions left behind by many of the survivors who tell their story of their experiences, and their struggle to survive amidst the horrors of the trenches. It is their fitting tribute to the memory of the many comrades and fellow soldiers who were lost.

There are many good photographs included in this volume, many of whom I have not seen before and I have no doubt that these photos will also leave an impression on many readers. A case in point is the panoramic image of the devastated Guillemont battlefield (pages 208-209) showing the awful landscape as it was, and the now peaceful scene dominated by Guillemont Road Cemetery as it looks today.

Although the material on the Somme is vast, I should recommend this book as THE Buy of the Year.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real education., 26 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Somme (Hardcover)
This book, with it's companions, reveal that what it really looked like across no-man's land was not at all as I had imagined it to be. Absolutely fascinating books. Some of the drawings felt as though they were aimed at a school audience, but that is a minor gripe from an old man! The reminiscences of soldiers are poignant. The maps make descriptions much more clear. Doubtless one could make minor complaints, but it was another of the books I couldn't put down. And considerably cheaper than a trip to France! Invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanted it, bought it, love it, 16 Mar 2009
T. Austen (Leamington Spa, Warks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Somme (Hardcover)
Had seen this book a while ago but couldnt bring myself to spent the RRP. Randomly searched the ISDN one day and found the price reduced on Amazon. Such an informative book with stories/letters home/diary quotes from both sides involved in the 'Great War'. Have travelled to many different places in the Somme region and wished I had had this with me at the time. Some of the panoramic pictures of then + now really bring home how bad it wouldve been for those fighting at the time and the stories make you realise what a pointless war it was at times.
A gripping read, sometimes quite upsetting but still find it hard to put it down/stop reading- thoroughly recommend this to anyone with even the slightest interest in WW1. Top notch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 25 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Somme (Hardcover)
I live in Belgium and I visited the Somme with this book this morning with my sons. The panoramas are awesome. The accounts of each stage of the fighting are well written and extremely informative. It brought our visit to life! I highly recommend this book to anyone who is thinking of visiting the Somme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous book, 23 Feb 2014
PW (Southampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Somme (Hardcover)
The First World War remains an enigmatic conflict, lacking any sensible rationale for the staggering bloodletting and destruction of resources. Visiting the sites of the war today finds a modern landscape, which is often hard to reconcile with the contemporary images. The genius of Peter Barton's book is the juxtaposition of the front line panoramas with the present day. It allows the interested observer to match up the views on the ground and get a feeling of what went on a hundred years ago. The narrative is also intensely moving, sometimes almost too much to read it is so affecting. One surprising aspect is how ordinary the front lines look; white scars concealing industrial death. A must-have book for all visits to the Somme in the forthcoming commemoration.

2.0 out of 5 stars AUTHOR KNOWN, 5 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars the Somme, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Somme (Hardcover)
Excellent book, up to now you could only imagine what it may have been like, the personal accounts and back round are brilliant. I only recently learned that my grandfather was a soldier in WW1 & fought in the battle of the Somme so I find this book fascinating

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read., 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Somme (Hardcover)
This book was delivered quickly and securely packed. The standard of information, photography and layout is excellent. I would recommend to anyone with interest in history or military. Not too overpowering in the technical info.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa476fdc8)

The Somme
The Somme by Peter Barton (Hardcover - 26 Oct 2006)
Used & New from: 18.51