on 12 April 2007
This book is a wonderful guide to children's fears and worries and what parents can do to help. This book manages the extraordinarily difficult task of condensing about 100 years of theory, research and practice into fear and anxiety into a short, concise and parent-friendly book. Part one of the book describes commonly diagnosed anxiety problems with case studies to illustrate, and then moves on to look at how genetics and learning contribute to the development of anxiety. Finally, there is a summary of the main thought processes that anxious children have that maintain their anxiety. Any parent of any educational background will find this distillation of the research literature easy to read and understand and it sets the scene for the practical advice in part 2 of the book. Part two is the self-help program itself and being delivered by two of the UK's leading child clinical psychologists, who both work in one of the top child anxiety clinics in the UK, you won't be surprised to learn that this section is fabulous. They guide the parent through spotting their child's anxious thoughts, challenging those thoughts and also useful techniques such as helping children to face their fears and problem solve. This section is all grounded in academic theory but is written for parents. The material is extremely accessible: throughout the book the authors illustrate the techniques with case studies, check lists, charts and guides. The final section addresses specific problems such as sleep disturbance and school avoidance as with the rest of the book offers practical and easily followed advice. To sum up, this is a lively and extremely practical book with which parents will be able to engage. The material reflects the vast experience of the authors but is pitched at exactly the right level for any reader. It is practical, empathic and comforting: reading it is like having your best friend sitting next to you telling you that 'everything will be Ok'. Any parent with an anxious child knows how distressing it can be, and how helpless you can feel to deal with the problem, this book is their lifeline.
on 28 January 2007
In a clear and informative way this book deals with the challenges and stresses that parents of anxious children confront every day. The authors offer realistic guidelines for ways in which parents can meet these challenges using an easy to follow step-by-step program. The book first describes the potential causes of child anxiety - how refreshing to know it isn't all down to the parents! I now feel optimisitic that I will be able to manage my daughters anxiety more confidently. I think both of us will gain enormously from this self-help guide.
on 24 September 2010
This book was recommended to me by the CAMHS team and it really helped me to understand why my child was thinking the way she was - a 'must read' for anyone who has a child who is very anxious...and whose anxieties are affecting normal family life.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 January 2010
The thing I found most interesting from reading this book is that having suffered from anxiety and panic attacks from an early age, i can now see how I have passed this onto my own child. It has taught me to be more aware of my actions and behaviour around my younger children so as not to pass this onto them. From also reading the book, it is apparent to me now that my anxiety has been passed on from one of my parents. What a vicious circle. I am so glad I read this book for a better understanding. Thank you.
on 6 October 2010
I bought this book as my 12 year old son seemed to be extremely anxious(to the point of OCD) about certain things. Rather than send him (or me) straight off to therapy, I decided to buy this book. It suggested a number of strategies to try (based around CBT) and how to handle his worries, rather than me making it worse. You do need to read the whole book to get the real benefit. If you have serious worries regarding your childs anxiety, and how to handle it then I think this book will definately help. I,m glad I did. Two months on he is getting better and I am not so worried. Good luck!...
on 7 December 2010
After our daughter developed significant worries following a short time in hospital we were left feeling unsure of how to help, we were referred for one therapy session and recommended we get this book. We are currently going through it as it is quite deep and you need to put in effort as a family but we are already seeing results. Our daughter is now more confident and we are learning that by even asking questions in a certain way and responding correctly is making for a happier family life and a settled little girl. Would highly recommend it, all parents should have this book know that seeking help is the best thing and not to go it alone.
on 31 October 2011
My son has suffered with anxiety for years and we had tried everything. This book was great in confirming that certain things we were doing were spot on but others were actually preventing him from learning how to deal with his worries himself. Its an easy read and I would recommend it to anyone with an anxious child.
on 26 June 2010
My 3 years old child was suffering of encopresis and doctors said that this would take 1-2 years to cure. This is a very devastating illness which has a strong psychological component. My best friend is a psychologist and suggested me to do some cognitive behavioral therapy to my child.So I did my research and I bought this book among others. The present book help me very much to design a plan for my child and also to understand much better what was happening with him and therefore how to help me. It opened my eyes. After one week my child's encopresis problem was over. Doctors said that this was the fastest recovery ever. I really find this book fantastic and it is very easy to understand and extrapolate to your personal situation the ideas that the authors want to express.
on 8 December 2012
Have not finished reading it yet, but so far have found lots of useful advice, most of which I'm already using with my son who's afraid of the dark and being on his own.
on 23 October 2015
This is an excellent book to read if your child has problems with fears and worries. It is written very well, easy to understand and implement the suggestions the author has to help your child over come those fears / worries. It gives you confidence to know that you can help your child with some quite serious fears / worries and that hopefully, with practise using specific techniques, your child can learn to cope. They will also have the knowledge so that they can work through any future worries that may rear it ugly head.