5.0 out of 5 stars A serious book - and seriously effective
I don't normally write reviews on Amazon but I feel quite strongly about this book. I have recurrent acute insomnia to the point of desperation and nothing has helped me sleep - until this book. From the start it is obvious it is a serious piece of work: its author is the director of the Centre for Sleep Medicine at Glasgow University and a leading academic in the field...
Published on 16 Aug 2010 by Susie J

3.0 out of 5 stars A helpful book
Published on 15 Oct 2008 by Aiba

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me to cure my sleep problems, 12 Oct 2009
Ms. A. Worton (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Overcoming Insomnia and Sleep Problems: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques (Paperback)
After reading a few chapters of this book, I came to the section of helping you to self diagnose your specific problem and realised I do not have typical insomnia - I have Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome. I have now been able to completely understand my problem, find lots of research on the matter and have since purchased a Philips GoLITE BLU (light therapy) which has been amazing. Without reading this book I would not have found out what I actually needed to do to cure my sleep problems. A definite book to buy for anyone with sleep problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real help, 2 Oct 2013
I've never written a book review before but had to with this book as it is proving a real help in curing my Insomnia. I've had it five weeks and am well on the way to being cured. The author is very experienced and has a real understanding of what insomnia sufferers go through. It's reassuring to realise that my insomnia problems were in no way unusual.

There is clear guidance on 'sleep hygiene' and CBT techniques which work plus a workable staged plan to follow week by week to gradually normalise your sleep. I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A helpful book, 15 Oct 2008
As the first book I've read on overcoming imsomnia, I have found it quite helpful. Unlike the revier above, I din't find it boring in the least. Its style of address is very casual, almost as wishing to replicate how the author would speak to you if you were his patient. But behind that casual approach, one can appreciate the expertise and seriousness of the author. That made the book quite informative. Most importantly of all for a book of this nature, following the programme it sets out, has enabled me to sleep better. I have just recommended it to a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only thing that works - buy now, 11 July 2014
I have had insomnia and bad sleeping for ten years, nothing worked, including hypnotherapy, pills etc.
This worked! The book is quite long-winded and the program is 6 weeks, so you have to get into it, and the depth and slowness is what makes it work. Basic concept is sleep compression (all hours of usually broken up sleep, in one go, so you go to bed at say 2am, get up at say 7am), only use bedroom and bed for sleeping (ie, stay out of room and bed), and a load of other things that are supplemental and change your attitudes to insomnia, which works with the main effects to reinforce.
Recommended most highly, even if you think nothing will work.
Also, this book comes from the Glasgow sleep centre for sleepy scientific studies, and was recommended to my by my doctor, and is not the usual dodgy self-help fare.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book !, 16 May 2009
Cheaper than a prescription and MUCH more worth it. Be patient and read this book as it is written - try not to skip to chapters that you think you need help on !! It really will be worth it. I have found it a great help and my sleep pattern has improved dramatically - my hardest thing was no reading / listening to the radio in bed, something I have done for at least 35 years ! I think that it is well written, not too difficult to read and is very useful afterwards for reassurance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make the effort, 18 Aug 2013
If you follow it - it works. It takes patience and a little bit of time but it's worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear presentation and well broken down into steps, 1 Sep 2013
The author encourages you to start at the beginning and not jump to the second part, as there is much to be understood about sleep before you embark on the programme. The first three weeks were relatively easy but I got stuck on the 4th week and have had to compromise with the instructions, but my sleep has improved over the weeks and 4 moths later I am still keeping my sleep diary, which I find quite interesting.
It does require effort and dedication, so not a book to be dipped into, but very worthwhile if you give it a go.

2.0 out of 5 stars This simplistic book is not for serious insomnia, 5 Sep 2014
My insomnia consultant asked me to read this book, but I found it disappointing for a couple of reasons. On the positive it covers the major aspects of CBT for insomnia and could be useful for people who aren't very self-aware and used to considering their own inner life or how their living environment can affect their state of mind. If you're an academic like myself you'll find this infuriatingly simplistic and you may even be insulted by the sometimes somewhat patronising style. It only confirmed to me that CBT is not for someone who is already well versed in self-development and self-analysis. Furthermore, my insomnia is co-morbid, meaning that it is caused by an illness. I do NOT have any issues with my mental state of mind. This book does NOT address people with serious chronic conditions. It's meant for those who are otherwise quite healthy and just suffer from some racing thoughts and a negative or destructive life style that impacts the sleep. Having said that, I believe that insomnia is always a symptom of imbalances and the root of the problem needs to be addressed. At best, CBT will only deal with some of the problems and at worst it's only addressing the symptoms rather than the root causes. I resent this trend of psychologising all manners of illness. I'm very sad and disappointed that co-morbid insomnia is so disastrously downplayed and neglected by the medical authorities.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and helpful book by a world expert in the field, 22 Oct 2008
Dr. J. Hawkins (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book is an excellent and helpful description of how to use cognitive behavioural therapy to help one's sleep problems. Research demonstrates that this method is the best supported of all approaches to persistent insomnia - whether psychological or pharmacological. I've certainly found CBT very useful over many years of helping people suffering with sleep difficulties. It's worth noting though that Colin Espie has written a training manual. Like a cookery or gardening book, just reading what he has written isn't going to be of much help. The amount of benefit you get is going to be highly dependent on how much work you're prepared to put into following his suggestions on how to change what are probably very well-established poor sleep habits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best purchase I've ever made., 10 Feb 2014
This book has changed my life. Simple as that. If you think there is even the slightest possibility it could help, buy it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›