5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful guide
Published 22 months ago by Paul

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!
Published 7 months ago by J. Halpin

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful guide, 30 Aug 2012
This guide really explains the different types of cryptic clue - how to spot them and solve them - in very clear terms, as well as telling the reader a little about the history of crosswords and the author's involvement with them. I especially liked the list of puzzles available in the national daily and Sunday press with their difficulty star ratings - an invaluable aid to point the new puzzler in the right direction, or to guide someone trying to progress up a level as their skills grow. Unlike some other similar books, this one is not bogged down with lots of actual crosswords, but really concentrates on individual clues and explaining how they are put together and how to crack them, with a chance to recap and practise along the way. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb introduction, 1 Feb 2013
ANDREW - See all my reviews
An excellent grounding in the basics of cryptic crosswords. It contains lots of clues, most of which are tricky to difficult. Very good value for money. I believe the author has published a full length book on the subject which may be worth investigating. Highly recommended.
Andrew
Doncaster

5.0 out of 5 stars solve it, 19 Sep 2013
this book has helped me to understand the mysterious world of the the cryptic crossword hours and hours of fun

5.0 out of 5 stars hand holding of the highest order, 16 Sep 2013
well ordered and unfolding explanations of types of clue; gives a feeling of a child learning to walk! but it

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 8 Dec 2013
J. Halpin "book addict" (Hove UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Crack Cryptic Crosswords: Hints and Tips To Help You Find The Answers (Paperback)
I wondered if I would find the book helpful before I bought it and took some time to decide to buy it,And overall I didn't! The areas covered seems thin compared to another book I have. Plus , although I knew beforehand I think it is a mistake to not include a series of actual crosswords to complete for more practice. I find lists of clues boring to do after a while. So I made a mistake it was not for me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 19 April 2014
Always wanted to be good a cryptic Crosswords. This book is certainly an incite into the devious mind of a compiler. Certainly has made me think more out the box. Not finished it yet brut it doesn't cover all scenarios but it is good at the kindle price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good for Cryptic Crossword addicts!, 25 Mar 2014
A very good book for Cryptic Crossword addicts which indroduces the beginner, educates the 'cross word solver always wanna-be' and gives the expert that extra mile that has either been forgotten or never learnt!

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid reproduction is better. (4) (4), 22 Feb 2014
Anthony V (Sidmouth Devon) - See all my reviews
As book in 'hard copy' I would have been happy to have given this 4 or even 5 stars. In kindle format it doesn't preform to well.
However whilst the content is good and well set out, the inability to flick back and forward through the pages makes this ebook hard to work with. ( Yes I know you can scroll backwards and forwards but its not the same as just flicking pages )
If you are thinking of a book like this on Kindle think again.

5.0 out of 5 stars It held my hand, 4 Jan 2014
Oh it's going to be a long journey before I can crack cryptic crosswords - this is a very good first start. Some helpful examples given, with good explanations of the answers. (Obvious when pointed out!) The book is well written and I felt it was holding my hand all the way through. It gave me a good insight into how to start solving these cryptic clues. This little e-book has given me the confidence to make a start - I even sat down with the Sunday Times crossword last week - it was not a total disaster. I definitely recommend this as a good starting point. Well written with interesting background and great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what the doctor ordered!, 24 July 2013
I loved this book so much I thanked Vivien personally. This book help you to see clues and truly understand.

How To Crack Cryptic Crosswords: Hints and Tips To Help You Find The Answers