5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful guide
Published on 30 Aug. 2012 by Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid reproduction is better. (4) (4)
As book in 'hard copy' I would have been happy to have given this 4 or even 5 stars. In kindle format it doesn't preform to well.
Published 16 months ago by Anthony V

5.0 out of 5 stars A really useful guide, 30 Aug. 2012
This guide really explains the different types of cryptic clue - how to spot them and solve them - in very clear terms, as well as telling the reader a little about the history of crosswords and the author's involvement with them. I especially liked the list of puzzles available in the national daily and Sunday press with their difficulty star ratings - an invaluable aid to point the new puzzler in the right direction, or to guide someone trying to progress up a level as their skills grow. Unlike some other similar books, this one is not bogged down with lots of actual crosswords, but really concentrates on individual clues and explaining how they are put together and how to crack them, with a chance to recap and practise along the way. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb introduction, 1 Feb. 2013
ANDREW - See all my reviews
An excellent grounding in the basics of cryptic crosswords. It contains lots of clues, most of which are tricky to difficult. Very good value for money. I believe the author has published a full length book on the subject which may be worth investigating. Highly recommended.
Andrew
Doncaster

5.0 out of 5 stars It held my hand, 4 Jan. 2014
Oh it's going to be a long journey before I can crack cryptic crosswords - this is a very good first start. Some helpful examples given, with good explanations of the answers. (Obvious when pointed out!) The book is well written and I felt it was holding my hand all the way through. It gave me a good insight into how to start solving these cryptic clues. This little e-book has given me the confidence to make a start - I even sat down with the Sunday Times crossword last week - it was not a total disaster. I definitely recommend this as a good starting point. Well written with interesting background and great value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid reproduction is better. (4) (4), 22 Feb. 2014
Anthony V (Sidmouth Devon) - See all my reviews
However whilst the content is good and well set out, the inability to flick back and forward through the pages makes this ebook hard to work with. ( Yes I know you can scroll backwards and forwards but its not the same as just flicking pages )
If you are thinking of a book like this on Kindle think again.

5.0 out of 5 stars solve it, 19 Sept. 2013
this book has helped me to understand the mysterious world of the the cryptic crossword hours and hours of fun

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 8 Dec. 2013
J. Halpin "book addict" (Hove UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How To Crack Cryptic Crosswords: Hints and Tips To Help You Find The Answers (Paperback)
I wondered if I would find the book helpful before I bought it and took some time to decide to buy it,And overall I didn't! The areas covered seems thin compared to another book I have. Plus , although I knew beforehand I think it is a mistake to not include a series of actual crosswords to complete for more practice. I find lists of clues boring to do after a while. So I made a mistake it was not for me!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good all round book for beginners, 8 Sept. 2012
This book is intelligently written and manages to take the reader through the minefield of mysterious clues in a simple step-by-step way that makes everything suddenly become clear! The separate chapters for each clue type make referring back easy, and I found the practice clues after each section provided a very helpful indicator that I really had 'got it' before moving on. A good all-round book and excellent value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars hand holding of the highest order, 16 Sept. 2013
well ordered and unfolding explanations of types of clue; gives a feeling of a child learning to walk! but it

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Cryptics, 26 Jun. 2013
This book was very helpful. I knew something about cryptics already. The book maybe had to much background information on what a crossword looked like however the book was well laid out and had many examples which allowed you to practice what you learned along the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 19 April 2014
Always wanted to be good a cryptic Crosswords. This book is certainly an incite into the devious mind of a compiler. Certainly has made me think more out the box. Not finished it yet brut it doesn't cover all scenarios but it is good at the kindle price.

How To Crack Cryptic Crosswords: Hints and Tips To Help You Find The Answers