5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to write, read this.
Published on 12 Jun. 2012 by wannabe

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book
Great if your a total beginner and a person who needs a bit of a push to get startd, I was really pleased with advice given
Published 13 months ago by Sam

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to write, read this., 12 Jun. 2012
This review is from: 365 Ways To Get You Writing (Paperback)
What a joy this book is. I don't normally read "How to" books but this one was different. It treated me like a grown-up and was packed full of great ideas and follow-up exercises that I actually wanted to do. By using examples from writers' works and showing the techniques they used and encouraging the reader to do the same it made one feel that this was indeed the "art of the possible". Try it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous accessible and fun, 12 Jun. 2012
This review is from: 365 Ways To Get You Writing (Paperback)
This is a really great resource. Almost like having an experienced mentor by your side, it's just what is needed to help you start the day with a new writing idea. Particularly helpful and encouraging if you are a novice writer and looking for inspiration. Equally valuable if or have reached an impasse and need new impetus to experiment with an unfamiliar genre or medium. Thank you for sharing your experience and providing truly practical and constructive support.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does exaclty what it says on the cover..., 8 July 2012
This review is from: 365 Ways To Get You Writing (Paperback)
Wow, what a find! Having just finished a frenetic two years on creative writing courses I found myself in a bit of a hiatus. No more deadlines, no more tips and guidance, then along comes this delightful book, which has helped me to pick up my pen again. It is perfect for me. Easy to read, short bursts of information and then exercises to embed the knowledge, which often spark off new ideas. Much of the content is refreshing revision; more importantly, it has given me a structure to discipline myself again, back into a regular writing routine. Like many (perhaps most) writers, I have a day job, and a busy life around the job to boot. The trick is trying to find the space and time to fit writing into this busy life, and that requires discipline and focus. This book is the perfect tool that I can pick up anywhere anytime and get lost in writing for a few moments every day. Love it! Thank you Jane for writing it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on! Every writer and teacher should grab one!, 28 Jun. 2012
This review is from: 365 Ways To Get You Writing (Paperback)
This is just the job for writers and a total blessing for English teachers! It works! I can see this inspiring all ages and stages of budding, 'blocked' or procrastinating writers. It is not just accessible and practical, the collection of stimulating tasks really do tap in to those quirky and deep rooted gems all of us hold inside and struggle to recall or articulate sometimes. As a teacher of creative writing I shall enjoy experimenting with the wise and friendly tips in here. I reckon every English teacher would do well to have a copy to hand - no need for dull Teach-It and death-by-worksheet resources; these ideas really trigger independent creativity and could last you your teaching career pretty much. The overall style is refreshingly immediate and engaging - a touch of humour with an overarching sense of reality informing every page. Nowhere near as dry and tedious as many creative writing tomes - it's also physically light and manageable, which is a gift. It's bang up to date too - many creative writing books don't seem to allow normal kids to realise they can write - this does - it's for all abilities and will make writers of them all. What I also like about it is the way it invites us to explore other writers further too - many kids don't realise that they will write better if they read more - this encourages them to without being 'preachy'. Layout is brilliant too, as a dip-in, dip-out book, it is already inviting me to have a go myself, never mind the kids, and reminding me of that oh so common New Year's resolution!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will help me develop my writing, 29 Jun. 2012
This review is from: 365 Ways To Get You Writing (Paperback)
I was so pleased to find this book; it will give my writing the spur it needs. It is full of ideas, advice and inspiration for the 'blocked', and the novice writer. I like its friendly and encouraging tone; the writer's enthusiasm for the creative use of words is infectious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great advice and inspiration, 7 Jun. 2012
This review is from: 365 Ways To Get You Writing (Paperback)
I've tried before to use writing books that give you lots of ideas, but they left me a bit high and dry. Some ideas were wilfully wacky or trivial and just seemed pointless, others were ideas with no support.

This book is totally different. I love the way that it's in short chapters each with little exercises. There's a great mixture of tasks to give you ideas, and tasks that teach you about skills. The book includes lots of good material on showing, not telling, and detailed help on creating characters.

Each chapter is also topped and tailed with all kinds of help and guidance. The writer starts by mentioning books, poems, songs, and films as examples, along with examples from life. The chapters end with advice for other similar sorts of writing, or suggestions about what you can go on and do with what you've written.

I'll be using some of these exercises on my own when I can grab a few minutes, and others when I've got hours. There are plenty too that would work in a writer's group or a class.

All in all, a really helpful and encouraging book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and Practical, 3 Jun. 2012
This review is from: 365 Ways To Get You Writing (Paperback)
The market is flooded with books on creative writing - many line my bookshelves at home as I teach creative writing to teenagers. Time and again I have ordered one of these books in the hope that they will allow me to find exercises that I can use, without too much fuss, with my pupils. Sadly, most are repetitive, wordy and spend endless chapters naval gazing and philosophising about the writing process before they get to the important bit: setting a small, practical task to get us sitting on our backsides, pen in hand and writing. Jane Cooper's book stands out as one that is both intelligent and practical. it is not simplistic but it is simple - she understands writers, their need to exercise their writing muscles (just as athletes do in training) and she also understands that clear, well presented advice and exercises is the best way to ensure that her book will get used as it was intended. It is clear that Jane is both an excellent writer and teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just do it, 15 Jun. 2012
MS JAN DRYDEN (Cardiff, Cardiff, GB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 365 Ways To Get You Writing (Paperback)
When I glanced at it I was afraid it might be just another helpful how-to book. Then I started doing the exercises Jane Cooper recommends and found myself writing with much more energy and enthusiasm than I have for ages. They are such practical and inspiring tasks. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational book really makes you think about your writing., 10 Mar. 2014
This review is from: 365 Ways To Get You Writing (Paperback)
This book consists of small daily tasks to help you improve your writing skills. For example day1 gives you three short fact sentences which you need to rewrite in such a way that it shows that the writer is angry with the character in the second sentence. Such a simple exercise, but it really makes you think about what your words are actually doing.

This book is ideal for those who are working hard and longing to be writing i.e. mothers with small children, or people who have to go out to work every day, because it keeps your writing mind working, but does not require a lot of time to do .. it could even be a loo book!

It is also good for those who are already writing because it hones your writing skill, and the very act of writing the sentences may well trigger you into a plot, and inspire your writing.

Three of us are working through it together and sharing our efforts by email, which is also a very satisfactory way of using it.

It could be used by writing groups, taking an exercise a week instead of one a day and sharing and discussing the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars 365 ways to get writing, 11 Jan. 2014
This review is from: 365 Ways To Get You Writing (Paperback)
I bought a copy of this book previously and I was so impressed that I bought a copy for a friend of mine who is interested in writing. I think that ought to say it all really.

The delivery was first class as always arriving on the day that was stated.
The price was reasonable and the contents very interesting and inspiring.

365 Ways To Get You Writing
365 Ways To Get You Writing by Jane Cooper (Paperback - 17 May 2012)