5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant...this book has given me itchy feet...feeling ready for the next adventure!, 2 May 2012
This review is from: How to Get to the North Pole: . . . and Other Iconic Adventures (Paperback)
Well I'd always wondered how people stuck in a rowing boat for weeks on end go to the loo and now I know! This book is great at answering all those quizzical thoughts which start "but how on earth do they..." which occur when watching great adventurers on TV. Its an entertaining and insightful read for those how are just curious about how all these amazing trips happen but also a massively helpful guide for those who want to get out there and have some adventures of their own. I'm not planning anything as intrepid as the north pole but it was still packed with useful advice on how to tackle some of the problems I've experienced on my own smaller scale trips. Also I found out this guy's got his own website which is a bit addictive - loads of great adventure stories on there too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now we can do more than simply dream about adventures, 28 May 2012
What a great idea for a book - and now I might be able to make more concrete plans for that bike trip around the world. Just need to find the odd year or so off work! See my review of this fab book here:
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for armchair or real, live adventurers, 18 May 2012
Two years ago, my partner and I did a long-distance European cycle trip and I was keen to read anything I could lay my hands on about long-distance cycling before we set off. I wish this book had been available then as it's a really accessible handbook for the planning stage of any major adventure or even a more modest activity holiday. The author's tone is friendly and reassuring and he writes as if he is talking to you. He covers the obvious questions like cost and equipment but also a wealth of extra essential details like 'how long do you spend cycling/rowing/skiing', 'how do you know where to go' and, most importantly, 'where do you go to the loo' (this advice is environmentally friendly). The section on cycling up hills for example was spot on - mountain terrain can be much easier on the legs than the UK's steep rolling hills. The book covers rowing an ocean, getting to the North Pole, crossing a desert, sailing the seven seas, cycling round the world, getting to the South Pole and climbing an unclimbed mountain. It has detailed, practical advice but also anecdotal tales from numerous real-life adventurers. Even if you don't see yourself rowing across the Atlantic, if in fact you don't intend to move from the sofa, you'll still get a huge amount of information and fascinating facts and stories from these pages. I may not ever buy a camel but I now know that I must check the pads on the underside of its feet and make sure that its legs don't tremble before I open my wallet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fills a gap in the market, 11 May 2012
T. GOOLEY (Chichester, UK) - See all my reviews
Although I've contributed a few quotes to this book, this is hopefully an unbiased review.

Having led expeditions in five continents, I was delighted to find that I'd learned quite a few new things within minutes of opening the book. It is not exhaustive, it doesn't aim to be and nothing could be, but it contains enough gems to be well worth the price.

In fact, one small piece of advice that proves to be handy can be priceless when you're a long way from home. You're bound to find more than one in this book. If I'm being honest, I could have done with it before setting out on one or two of my trips - it might have saved a lot of learning the inefficient way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, useful and inspiring, 23 May 2012
Just how exactly do you go to toilet on a rowing boat in the middle of the Atlantic? Which camels will keep going in the crushing heat of the Gobi desert and which ones will end up being high maintenance?

Well, the the answers to these somewhat obscure questions and many more are found in Tim Moss' new book `How To Get To the North Pole...'

I was really keen to get my hands on this book and wasn't disappointed. It's clear that Tim draws massively on his personal experience as an adventurer, and also his work in expedition logistics, planning and management to pull it all together. The result is a guide that provides detailed analysis, review and requirements for some of the great expedition challenges: how to get to the (Geographic) North Pole, how to cross a desert, row an ocean or cycle the world to name just a few.

But this book is far from just a reference book. This is a practical manual combining vital facts, useful hints and tips interlaced with stories and diary extracts and, as a result, is an inspiring read. Each chapter focuses on one particular adventure and includes a summary of statistics, difficulties, history and a few useful gems. There are options for undertaking the trips with pros and cons based on costs, practicalities or `pureness' as well as ideas on taking the first step and for making it harder if you so wish.

Tim clearly knows his stuff but has also included plenty of advice from some very experienced adventurers who share their real world experience and top tips for survival. Tristan Gooley (author of The Natural Navigator) provides a fascinating selection of insights for navigation (his new book is on my reading list now). The book is filled with quotes, extracts and supported by some great diagrams. Jim Shannon has done a superb job on the chapter illustrations.

There is also a handful of compelling anecdotes and stories that provide a wonderful human aspect to the book. For me, it was these stories that really stood out. Plan it, research it and then live it. We all have different plans and ideas for creating adventure in our lives and they may well not be on such a grand scale that Tim has outlined but the guidance and skill sets that this book provides could very well prove useful for smaller scale trips too.

This book makes you think. And it gives you seriously itchy feet. If you are remotely interested in undertaking an expedition of a grand or smaller scale then this book is well worth a read.

NB. The book was supplied to me by the publisher for this review that was originally written for Sidetracked.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read..........Get out there and do it!, 24 April 2012
I have crossed deserts, climbed mountains and rowed the Atlantic Ocean. This book is a one stop shop for anyone interested in adventure and it is written with the charm and wit that we have come to expect from those involved at the forefront of exploration. Fiennes and Grylls have given it their thumbs up, so who can argue with that?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and fun tales of adventure!, 24 April 2012
If I'm honest I'm unlikely to undertake any of these adventures, but if I did then I'd use this book to prepare.

This book tells you actually how to go about planning and undertaking a range of expeditions from getting to the north pole, rowing an ocean or crossing a desert. As such it's full of fascinating facts about the real challenges you'll face and the preparation and equipment you'll need (and won't need). However it's not a dry reference book; it's got some real life accounts of expeditions which are compelling and quite gripping, and is very well laid out and illustrated which makes it an enjoyable and easy read. The author's clearly been there and done it himself, and evidently knows quite a few others who have too and who have lent their advice.

An unusual book in that it's a practical manual for the genuinely intrepid, but with crossover appeal for armchairs adventurers like me.

5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRING, 26 Aug 2012
Wow! All you need now is the motivation - the planning and logistics are done for you. Choose your own adventure: a world astounding 'first' to hit the headlines or just a 'first' for yourself to make you feel good and start on a lifetime of adventuring.
Most of the details from first hand experience but calls on the best in the world and those who have gone before for practical hints. Planning any adventure - this is a must.
Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive guide to getting a little more adventure in our lives, 26 Aug 2012
Tim has always been an excellent writer but what really struck me when reading "how to get to the north pole..." was just the shear level of detail he has managed to include. I also particularly liked the "easier, harder, different" sections. Easier for those of us who perhaps are a little less adventurous or just starting out. Harder for those who like a challenge and different for those who just a little contrary and like to stand out.

Tim's personal experience also stands out. Not just in the practical advice but in the aside and anecdotes from his many personal adventures. And trust me on this. Tim has done it all.

So whether your plan the next great assent or have somewhat humbler adventures in mind you will find this book not only informative but enthusing. Isn't time we all just got out there?

5.0 out of 5 stars Got me daydreaming, 16 Aug 2012
When I started out putting together expeditions, how it was done was all a bit of a mystery. I would have loved to have had Tim's book because it contains all the information that it has taken me years to gather myself.
My speciality is cold places but I found myself reading the entire book from cover to cover and suddenly musing the possibility of rowing an ocean or befriending a camel - ideas that I have never given serious thought before. So, if I find myself in the middle of the desert or feeling sick in the swell of the Atlantic in the near future it will all be down to Tim !

How to Get to the North Pole: . . . and Other Iconic Adventures