5.0 out of 5 stars Money Spinner
Published on 15 Mar 2007 by Christopher Morgan

1.0 out of 5 stars Must have read the wrong book....
This book was entirely too textbookish for me, rather than simplify the stock market it continued in the typical way of lecturing the reader (me!) and did so in such an unhelpful academic style.

Published on 17 Mar 2009 by M. Sutton

1.0 out of 5 stars Must have read the wrong book...., 17 Mar 2009

I, frankly, do not understand how the other reviewers could possibly think this was a useful book , especially given the title. It was not a 'Step by Step' anything. And it was incomplete and perhaps a little inaccurate to boot.

It never mentioned using an execution only online trader - instead it advocated getting a broker (perhaps the most expensive way to trade). It also never mentioned self-select ISAs that enables the private investor to manage their own tax efficient investment vehicle.

It is perhaps the worst introduction I could have had.

Fortunately, I hedged my bets and bought 'The Naked Trader' by Robbie Burns at the same time and I have to say that was an infinitely better book for me. By the time I was halfway through it - I had experienced a '2 weeks in the life of a trader' without the airs and graces.

The 'Naked Trader' style was much more friendly and supportive - written as though the author was sitting with you in a pub giving the lowdown on how to do this, the pitfalls and really useful tools to help you get started. He breaks all the complex stuff down with great real life examples form the market that he actually traded. Definitely, the ordinary bloke's guide to sustainable and profitable investing.

I hope this gives a more balanced view of the book compared to the other reviewers. I ultimately returned the 'Investing in Stocks & Shares' book back for a refund - it was that bad!

5.0 out of 5 stars Money Spinner, 15 Mar 2007
This book is a very good introduction to the stock market basics that you need to begin investing. Im in university and one of my core modules was a trial stock market investing project. Having been advised on reading this book by my lecturer I checked it out of the library, having done so and having read the book I thought it was only fair to the author to purchase it (plus I wanted it for reference).

This book is the all to it book of stock market books. Using this book not only did I get 90% on my course module I have also begun investing my own money in the market. This has to date made me hundreds off a minimal investment amount over a short three month period of time. I could not recommend this book highly enough for research purposes or for the budding investor this book has all you need to know about investing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction, 24 Sep 2004
By A Customer
This book is a great introduction into the world of stocks and shares. It's up to date and provides plenty of in-depth information, suited to the more astute investor, but still covers the basic points and is easy enough to read and get to grips with for the beginner.
Deserved of it's 5 stars rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction for the novice, 21 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This is the book I have been looking for all along.
Clear, simple, concise. After dabbling for a number of months and not really understanding a great deal, this was the book which suddenly illuminated the whole area of stocks and shares for me.
I have read numerous other books purporting to make stocks and shares easier to understand which have always left me wanting to know more than what they told me. This is the book to do it !
Buy, buy, buy !

2.0 out of 5 stars A dry unmemorable read, 12 Dec 2007
Mr. M. Rolf (UK) - See all my reviews
I found the book to be dry and it failed to make the subject of investing interesting. It covers a lot of financial products, providing reasonable detail in terms of the numbers, but its dull. The chapters don't flow very well and I found myself struggling to recall what I had just read.

I wouldn't recommend this as a introductory book to investing because it simply doesn't make the subject interesting like the motley fool series of books manages to. But it does give a certain amount of detail, that may make it useful as a reference text for the amateur investor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consise advice, 25 Oct 2000
By A Customer
I found this book extreamly useful. It gives a superb explination on how to invest. With this book I've started to invest and gain from shares. Thank you John!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Investing in Stocks and Shares, 30 Jan 2010
I was very pleased with this purchase. The book was in good condition. For this particular title it would have been a good idea to emphasise how well it is written in plain and simple terms, for the novice investor. However, it certainly helped my understanding of the advice because I have qualifications in Business & Finance. Notwithstanding this, it would still be of great benefit to anyone without these qualifications.

1.0 out of 5 stars Simple things made complicated, 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: Investing In Stocks & Shares 8e (Paperback)
Maybe it has some use to an UK audience but to people outside UK it is next to useless. Also, it is amazing how this author is able to make simple things complicated. I bought Jason Kelly's "Stock Market Investring", 2013 edition, at the same time and this is internationally useful and written in an engaging, straight style. To be recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID, 16 Jan 2011
Not an easy read. It assumes a certain level of knowledge and that level was set too high in my opinion for the novice investor hoping to learn the basics and perhaps make a little money. There are better, and more accessible books out there. Not a bad book by any means, but not that engaging either. It was hard to learn from.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good purchase, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Investing In Stocks & Shares 8e (Paperback)
This no-nonsense book is intelligently and concisely written by an author who is both knowledgeable and objective...it is a must for anyone who wants to understand the world of investments and be able to make well-informed decisions.

Investing In Stocks & Shares 8e
Investing In Stocks & Shares 8e by Dr John White (Paperback - 14 Jan 2011)