4.0 out of 5 stars Good Writing Info
Published on 11 May 2009 by BRENDA ROBERTS

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected
Not quite as original or innovative as I'd hoped but nevertheless there are some ideas which I will try with my classes, particularly five-minute writing challenges
Published 14 months ago by Dije

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Writing Info, 11 May 2009
This review is from: The Five-Minute Writer 2nd Edition: Exercise and Inspiration in Creative Writing in Five Minutes a Day (Paperback)
This book provides writing exercises if you want them, but for me the general text makes one or two excellent points. And if nothing else the book was worth buying for thesealone. The most important point: five minutes writing each day is preferable to two hours at the weekend. The brain gets trained to think up creatively at a moments notice. Another is write what you know. This, of course, is well known but Margaret Geraghty points to the passion aspect of what you know and feel. Write with and about your own passion and the writing will flow well.

Its a reference book, one to dip into for inspiration. Good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changes not only how you write...but think., 22 Oct. 2007
I purchased this book on a whim, hoping to obtain some creative genius to help me write. I was pleasantly surprised by how much it helped me in my time of great need to achieve ideas and comfort me in my period of writers block.
Outstanding work by Geraghty...I attribute (hopefully) my success in the future.
A must for firstime writers!

4.0 out of 5 stars try it, 11 Jan. 2010
I found this book really useful, it helped improve my writing.
The book has over 40 exercises which you are encouraged to attempt. I did one a day. The prompts took me out of my comfort zone. They made me think and write in a different way.
I didn't use all the exercises. Some of them didn't appeal to me. Most of them did. I also found that I could do one exercise and then a week later re-do it in a slightly different way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Exercises, 22 Dec. 2008
Highly Recommended - short sections offering food for thought followed by writing exercises. The exercises in almost all cases inspired me to either write good sections for current work, produce new ideas, or get excellent insights into my characters. A must read for would be writers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 14 Feb. 2009
I own a few books on writing and this is definitely one of the most useful. It contains a wide variety of different exercises and ideas to get the writing going and they really do help. Moreover, you don't just work through the book once: you can do the same exercises over and over again but differently so it is a constant source of inspiration. Brilliant value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps you to write a page turner, 14 Oct. 2010
Alison Roberts (London) - See all my reviews
This book was bought based on the reviews on Amazon. I am about 2/3's of the way through a writing course and was thinking about whether I would still feel inspired when I am not being set official course questions. Quite often you just need a line or a slight change in thinking to feel totally inspired and write a story. This book is full of really great ideas on how to get you started and where to find inspiration. I would definitely recommend this for anyone that likes to write - no matter what level of writer you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect daily warm-up exercises, 5 Mar. 2011
This book is ideal for fiction writers who want (or need!) a little warm-up exercise to get them started up on cold mornings! I read it right through from cover to cover, but essentially it is a "dip into" book; just flip it open at any page and do the exercise in front of you. You may find the odd one or two that you've come across before (or something very similar) but the vast majority of the exercises are bright, new and fresh ideas for jump-starting the creative juices. Hugely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 9 Jan. 2010
L. Hargreaves "Loupy Lou" (Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
New years resolution - to try and write a book! Creative writing courses are ridiculously expensive but I needed some help. Now, normally when I purchase books like this, they go on my book shelf and I occasionally flick through thinking it makes me seem that bit more intelligent! However, i received this book on Wednesday and ever since have sat down for a couple of hours a day and done the exercises. They are really simple and quite fun! And you begin to realise how they can help you when writing. I've only got a few of the tasks in and I'm doing a lot of talking to myself, but I'd recommend this book for anyone who needs a bit of inspiration! It's clearly set out, simple to understand and like the other reviews say, you can just dip in and out of it when you've got a bit of spare time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy exercises to get you going, 15 Nov. 2013
FussyMissus (Uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was terribly impressed with this book. I am a wannabe writer myself, and having gone through the Making Money Writing Letters To Magazines book and made my mark (and money) writing to magazines, I thought I needed to expand on my writing skills but did not know where to start.

And so I bought this book.

Simple to use, the exercises make you think in different directions and on two occasions I have actually gone off at a tangent, abandoned the exercise and gone off to write a short story based on something I thought of whilst doing the exercise.

The best use for this book is when you have that blank moment, when you want to write something... anything... but your brain freezes. Open the book, do an exercise and like warming up before a physical exercise, this book helps you to get in the mood and, ultimately, get writing.

Highly reccomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best ever, 5 April 2010
This book has opened up a totally new slant on how to write effectively. I can recommend it to any budding author of short stories to help them over that inevitable writers block. Thinking in totally different ways of how to approach stories with exercises to sharpen the mind and open new avenues of thought. Brilliant book well worth the money.