5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee....and the rest.
Published on 12 Oct 2007 by Michael Donald

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special
I buy these books on the back of soooo many 5 star reviews and then shake my head in regret after the book arrives and I start reading it.
I'm guessing (buyer beware) that all these 5 star reviews for this book and another one I purchased called PACKED about the food industry must be from gormless people or friends and family. I say gormless cause nearly 95% of every...
Published 1 month ago by AM Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee....and the rest., 12 Oct 2007
If you have a business, any business, and you're not rich, and you don't know why, or if you have ever thought, "I'm really good at what I do, why am I not more successful"..... this book was written for you. I come at this from a slightly odd angle. I have nothing to do with the cafe business. I'm a photographer. I was looking for marketing books when I came across this gem. What this book spells out is that the ability to make the best coffee in the world and the ability to run a successful coffee business are two distinct things. I have concentrated for years on taking better photographs and assumed the business would run itself....afterall I am a photographer. Not so. What this book lays out in the simplest forms is that so many of think the normal "rules" don't apply to us as we're busy doing what we do best. It is the wake up call. This book is more relevant to me than a lot of books written specifically for photographers. A lot of it may seem painfully obvious, but it works. I wish it had been written years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffe Bar King and Golf Star?, 15 Oct 2007
I found John Richardson through his scratch2scratch blog. He accomplished something I, and many many
other golfers only dream of, to shoot a perfect round of golf. I have been reading his golf blog for some
time now and have been deeply affected by his insights and advice regarding not only golf, but life in
general. I read his coffee shop book, because living in Hollywood, California, I am also a driven coffeeholic! This is the land of the quadruple (and larger) espresso and we take coffee consumption VERY
seriously.

I read this book hoping to learn more about one of my favorite subjects (coffee) with no intention of
actually starting a coffee shop. What I found was a wealth of information about the coffee shop business
and SO much more! I am an entrepreneur and record producer and have had some pretty reasonable
success on MTV and in films and television. In the age of digital downloads and changing technology
there is one thing that is more important than most everything else - HAPPY CUSTOMERS! John
Richardson has (yet again) made it very clear that the basics to most ANY business is customer
satisfaction, and the tools and attitdue he puts forth in in Wake Up and Smell The Profit are the
fundametntal building blocks of ANY successful business. Not only is it a good read, but it could be
considered a handbook for any entrepreneur that needs a refresher course or a wake up call.
Thanks again to my favorite golf writer for more valuable information on business, life and of
course coffee! Make mine a quadruple!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're in this business - you MUST read this, 1 Oct 2007
Mrs. Jc Davidson (Newcastle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
This book is a real wake up call to those who are slugging their guts out in this industry and sometimes wondering if it is all worthwhile. Unlike so many books of this kind it is really specific on the ways to improve your bottom line profit and helps the reader look at their business from a completely different angle. I read it in one sitting and really couldn't put it down. All 52 points the writers highlight hit home immediately - hard facts with no waffle. An absolutely invaluable read to anyone involved in the coffee business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly effective ideas, 12 Mar 2008
Mr. P. S. Bayston (South East England) - See all my reviews
I'm not quite sure what the previous reviewers problem with this book is. Although obviously you can't be all things to all people one of the great aspects to this book is that it HAS lots of anecdotes in it. Most of the "52 ways" are accompanied with an anecdote that explains how they have either used the tip in their own businesses or with other peoples. For me that was the big benefit. In other words it's not just theory. It's lots of great ideas and concrete examples of how they actually work in real life.

I was given the book by my coffee supplier who challenged me to take just one or two concepts and apply them to my business. Needless to say, since we don't value anything that we don't pay for, it sat around unopened until he asked me what I had applied. Somewhat sheepishly I replied that I hadn't even read it yet! I then read it in one evening and have now changed several aspects of my business and plan to apply many more. I created a couple of star products and got all my team on board to explain to customers why we are so proud of them. Sales of these items have dramatically increased. I totally changed the customer flow within my business and had a enlightening meeting with my staff where I did the "muffin test" and discovered that most of them thought I was keeping approximately 500 out of every 1000 that goes in the till!

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 9 Oct 2007
Great, easy to understand, advice from people who really understand the business. Some of their "true stories" had me laughing out loud since they so clearly mirror the mistakes I have made too. There is some really invaluable advice for people starting out but also dozens of great tips for wizened veterans like myself who think we know it all but seem to have forgotten a lot of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Coffee Boys!, 14 Sep 2007
W. Farmer (uk) - See all my reviews
John Richardson & Hugh Gilamartin have laid down the fundamentals of the coffee business with the tone of an informal chat. They obviously have first hand experience of the subject, as I can relate to every single point they make(I manage a coffee shop/restaurant). Some of the chapters, or lessons, had me cringing with the realisation that I have been making some very simple errors in my business, while others had me grinning to the point of smugness that I'm getting a lot right too. Hugh & John's 'true stories' punctuate the book, giving practical examples of each important message. Anybody in the industry, or considering doing so should check in with these guys asap. INDISPENSABLE ADVICE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational advice, 11 Sep 2007
This is a cracking little book. I would admit that I'm not a great reader of business books but this was recommended to me by my slightly exasperated accountant and I thought I'd give it a go. The style of the book makes it easy to read and the countless "true stories" where they back up their points with real examples from their own experience made it vastly more readable than the average management or business book.

What I liked about it most is the fact that they have both owned a large array of food businesses and are speaking from experience. This is not the usual theoretical nonsense put out by so many "consultants" who have never actually operated a business day in and day out.

The consistent emphasis on the business being "about the money" has helped me realise just how ridiculous some of my notions towards operating my business have been. I have already made some important changes to my business and made the cost of the book back many times in one month!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the pile, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: Wake Up and Smell the Profit: 52 Guaranteed Ways to Make More Money in Your Coffee Business (Paperback)
Having worked in a the coffee shop I now own for a few years prior to buying it, I was already armed with examples of 'How not to do it' (which I have been very grateful for). However, after a couple of yers of building up the business, making it work, essentially establishing it as a solvent business, I hit a brick wall...What now? Came to mind.

That's where this book came in. I have no idea what lead to me buying it, but so far it has proven to be one of the best business purchases I have made to date! In the 2 years (or so) that I've had it, I can remember countless occasions that I've picked it up and dipped into it (as was the authors' intention) to motivate me on how to improve the customer experience, and of course, improve profit.

There is not much to I can add to what previous reviewers have already said...this book is one of the best purchases you may ever make within the food industry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Coffee sells!, 19 Oct 2010
Yes...coffee sells if you get it right. I despair of the many places that do not understand the principles laid out in this book, but I am sure that if it was an obligatory read for any such business, then excellent coffee and service would be reciprocated by a healthy profit due to customer appreciation. I love this little volume as it is packed with relevant instructions on how to run your own coffee business with aplomb! Easy to read but don't be fooled! These guys know their stuff and have years of experience behind the, Go for it, I say...a must read!Wake Up and Smell the Profit: 52 Guaranteed Ways to Make More Money in Your Coffee Business

5.0 out of 5 stars Read over a good coffee, 7 April 2010
J. M. Malseed "wealthcare" (Holywood UK) - See all my reviews
Clever crafy chatty book which is not only aimed at coffee shop owners but should also be read by those advising business owners and the business owners themselves

Its read in about an hour .If the reader owns a coffee shop and does not see that the tiny amount this book costs can be recovered many times over he or she really has a major problem and should maybe go back to working for someone .