on 2 December 2010
I only wish I had a copy of this book a few years back when I was involved in Business Management Consultancy. I visited in the region 700 organisations across a wide cross section of business types, and I can say hand on heart, I would have supplied a copy of "Setting up and Managing your own Coffee Bar" as a leaving present to the majority of these business's. The business principles of this book, explained in such a user friendly fashion, by two guys who have worked at the sharp end is (as far as I am concerned) brilliant. Passion, Product, People, Marketing, Systems and Money can be applied to all types of business, without going over the top in the books praise, I honestly think they should have it available in all British Schools, use it as a business learning tool to set up their own "School Coffee Shops" (obviously not a thing you would like to happen), they could take the Coffee part out, it would assist in teaching pupils the real world, rather than the ideal world.

If you are thinking of setting up your own Coffee Bar, then not to buy this book would be a commercial mistake. It has certainly taken the wool from my eyes and made me think long and hard if I am cut out for the the "Coffee Shop Business". I am not on commission from the authors or have any connection with them in any shape, way or form.The Coffee Boys' Step-by-step Guide to Setting Up and Managing Your Own Coffee Bar: How to Open a Coffee Bar That Actually Lasts and Makes Money (Coffee Boys Step By Step Guide)
33 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 December 2010
After toying with the idea of opening a coffee bar for a while i did some research on the internet and came across the coffee boys website and this book.

After reading this book I have come to realise how much goes into not just opening a coffee bar but all the planning that needs to go into it even before you start,the finance side, planning how your coffee bar will operate and look, the coffee itself, what food to serve and when, advertising and things i hadn't even considered. It makes you see everything in a new light when you next go for a coffee.

It opens your eyes to the reality that opening up a coffee bar on a whim because you've always fancied it without any real idea is madness, you'll end up with little or no profit and be a slave to your business.

If you still want to open a coffee bar READ THIS BOOK AND MAKE IT YOUR BIBLE!
on 14 April 2010
I've just finished reading this book. I've worked in the food industry for nearly 20 years and I can say with confidence this is an essential read to anyone that has a food service business or looking to set up one.
It's about coffee shops, but there's loads of useful stuff in there about food catering and how to make it work better.
Practical, readable and funny - a refreshing change from all the other poorer versions of 'business help' books.
on 1 December 2010
This book doesn't just advise you how to run a small business. It shows you, in the most clear and in depth manor, how to succeed in running that business. It emphasises how to do it better without pulling any punches. Unlike most business-related books, there isn't a single sentence of unnecessary waffle.

Although it would appear this book has been written in a light-hearted way (which makes for easy reading), I believe it's come from somewhere quite deep and gets right to the heart of the problem, stripping back the layers of running a business, exposing them, and then re-wrapping them with words on how these layers should be treated to set you on the right track.

One other piece of magic that comes out of the book, which I'm not sure was the author's intention or not, is that it leaves you with a true sense of whether or not running a business is really for you. I believe you'll either walk away from the idea feeling happy that you've made the right decision, or be left with the strength of mind and heart to continue with the quest. The authors really do seem to care about giving you the best advice, rather than just wanting to put a book out there for their own self gratitude! In my opinion, the book border's on genius in how simply and assertively the 'success' message is put across, and a lot of effort has gone into making it a book for the reader (many authors appear not to grasp that concept).

It's a must read for any small business owner or would-be owner, not just coffee houses. And I agree with a previous reviewer, some of the material should be taught in schools.
on 31 July 2013
If you're setting up a new coffee shop or similar business like I was 6 months ago then this is an absolute must read (and absorb) if you're serious about making it a success.

The tone is great - and it's actually a page turner - not perhaps what you'd expect from the genre!!

Our business is now open, every day something new crops up to learn from, and this book is a perfect reference to keep you moving in the direction you set out to follow when you started your business.

Above all don't dilute your goal - use this book to re-galvanise your plan - even at what will inevitably be one of the busiest times of your life. Enjoy!
on 2 December 2010
I have owned and run a convience store for the last 15yrs and recently opened a Coffee shop on a rural railway station, this book (and the Coffee Boys' other incredible book "Wake up and smell the Profit") saved me time, effort and most importantly CASH.
They are essential reading to ANYONE running ANY kind of RETAIL business, not just Coffee Shops, it puts into words concepts that are so simple yet critical to run a PROFITABLE business.
Whilst reading it I often thought "of course thats obvious" but then had to ask myself if its so obvious why arent I doing it?
The key message from the books?
Its all about the Money.
on 22 April 2014
It's written in a way which is accessible to everyone, whether you come from a business background or not. The points are very clearly made and easy to understand and make sense of. As a young woman planning to start my first business I found this book a great place to start! It has opened my eyes to some of the realities I will face and reminded me of others I'd perhaps left out of my planning. A definite must read for anyone thinking about starting a business in this industry
on 3 December 2010
John and Hugh have put so much effort into this book. It is the bible for running your Coffee bar and business. It is so well written and and is by far the best book on the market. This book is a fantastic follow on from the "Wake up and Smell the Profit". You must buy these books and listen to and follow the great advice. And it comes with 2 hours of video from the internet. Where else do you get so much help and inspiration for so little cost.
on 29 August 2015
I highly recommend this book if you are thinking about starting up a cafe or coffe shop. It's written by people who have done it themselves and they share very good basic information about what you need to think about and do.

You get good quality information, down to earth examples and suggestions on what to do. They are very good to point out that running a successful cafe is not just about making nice coffee!
on 2 December 2010
I read this book after having read their other book "Wake up and smell the profit" which might be considered the "wrong" way round, as we are just thinking of starting our own coffee shop.

It doesn't matter which way round you read them, just make sure you read them BOTH.

This book is written in such a way that you can really relate to the authors and their own trials and tribulations.
They have enormous experience and you feel confident when reading this book that the advice they give is true and gained from their own personal adventures.
I particularly like the section at the start that will make you question yourself, as to whether or not this business is actually for you.

A chance to get out, before its too late if you like!

I highly recommend this book, for anyone starting out and would imagine it be very useful for anyone who is already up and running.

There is lots of advice out there, but you feel that the coffee boys advice come from the heart. You feel that they actually want you to succeed and they are not just doing this to make a quick buck.

Buy this if you want to succeed with your coffee shop.