Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 August 2009
Of all the books that I have looked at on anxiety this is an obvious leader. Not only are the authors very knowledgeable on the subject but they manage to convey that knowledge across in a clear, easy to follow and understand manner.
on 13 May 2010
This book is a must for anyone with anxiety or stress related illness. I found it to be invaluable and the excercises are excellent. It is written in a fantastic format - very easy to read and flows in a way that inspires you to carry on to the end whilst starting the self help excercises right away. I would not like to be without this book as it has helped me enormously.
on 16 November 2009
Very useful information and tips, i had never experienced aniety before and it help me understand and realise i wasnt strange.
on 11 November 2011
This was an interesting book; easy to read, understand and follow. Rather than the sort of book you read continuously, it is much more intended to be something you read part of, go away and do the exercises, then read on only when you are ready. It had some good concepts and helped me think deeper into my anxiety as to the cause and roots of it. However, it did take me two thirds of the book before I found something helpful to me.

Easy to understand and grasp, I think this would be a great read if you suffer intensely with anxiety, or anxiety associated illnesses such as OCD and agoraphobia, but if you suffer with mild intermittent anxiety, it probably won't help extensively. Still, it's worth a read for help with goal setting and provides a good set of questions that you can ask yourself in situations that test your disorder and perhaps understand the roots of your worries and where they came from. It did help me feel and see that anxiety is a common and over-comeable problem and reassured me that I wasn't going mad! So worth a read, but likely more beneficial if you suffer more than mildly with anxiety issues. Probably also one to keep and return to in times when your anxiety peaks and you need some sort of plan and support to get out of the danger zone.
on 17 March 2013
I bought this for my wife and she kept saying how good it was each time she turned a page. The book gives detailed descriptions og what is happening and practical solutions to how to deal with it. I would highly recommend this book.
on 18 September 2015
EXCELLENT>I have been suffering from anxiety since a child . My anxiety has developed into depression and I have experienced all these symptoms that this book described. I have read the whole book . 3 chapters each day . It is clearly written. I decided to be strict and not only read the book BUT APPLYING the techniques .I have seen improvement in short time . And I will keep following these guidleines and make them a way of life. Anxiety has stopped my life and had an effect in all parts of my life to the point that I had been isolated (Social Phobias)., changing jobs for small reasons . affecting my personality becoming egocentric. Now I have realised the effect that anxiety had on me.

As I have no faith in doctors I visited few times but they seem to offer medications without discussing the ROOTS of your anxiety or even healthy diet and exercise which have an impact on anxiety as the book recommends. I really like to THANK the authors of this book for helping me with my anxiety which was a part of my life for more than 30 years. This book cost me only 10 pounds and had managed to eliminate my anxiety to manageable levels and only applying the techniques for 2 months now. I spent hundreds of euros to doctors and the medications did not work at all . I was always suspicious of pshyciatrist as they do not help you at all They see you as a way to offer medication and get money.

I bought this book last year but only recently I decided to read it as I was sceptical. I will try to become a volunteer in helping people with anxiety Having passed from this I will be more than able to help . And doctors believe me are clueless and they do not worth the money they get.

Michalis
on 28 August 2013
I bought the kindle version.

Clear, straight talking, concise, comprehensive.

This book has changed my life. I have had Generalised Anxiety Disorder, for many many years.
on 4 October 2015
A very easy to read and practical book about anxiety. Whereas it acknowledges the value of counselling and medication, the underlying philosophy is that anxiety is a problem that can and should be overcome by the efforts of the sufferer through setting a ladder of challenging but achievable goals, one memorable example being that for someone with severe agoraphobia, even putting a coat on and walking as far as the front door may be a realistic first goal. It also gives lots of helpful suggestions on lifestyle - the single suggestion of making sure you eat something within 20 minutes of getting up was a great help to me, someone who has suffered from quite severe anxiety, particularly in the mornings.
The book doesn't go into depth about the theory behind anxiety (although I assume that there are plenty of books that do) and parts of the book may be irrelevant to some readers since it covers a range of anxiety-related disorders. I also found that the testimonies from other anxiety and OCD sufferers added little to the book. On the other hand, there should be enough for everyone to make this a very well spent tenner for anyone suffering from anxiety.
on 18 May 2009
Anyone who suffers from any form of anxiety including agoraphobia, panic attacks, OCD, post traumatic stress and generalised anxiety disorder (GAD) needs to read this book. It contains invaluable comprehensive and practical information along with easily applicable exercises and techniques. It is presented in a clear, jargon-free format and is by far the best book that I have ever read on the subject.

Not only will this book benefit people with anxiety, anyone with depression will find that it is filled with sensible techniques and information which, if applied, could lead to self-acceptance, assertiveness and inevitably life changes. I would also recommend that counsellors, doctors, group facilitators and life coaches read it and share it with patients and clients struggling to cope with anxiety or depression. Very helpful and great value for money!
on 14 May 2013
I have to be honest and say tht I did not enjoy this as much as other reviewers …
I found the writing style dry, and unengaging. I do not doubt the authors knowledge but the text as a whole was dull. Instead of the little homilies at the end of each chapter, I would pefer case studies and if I never read another poem by Norman again, my anxiety will at least stayas it is.
Perhaps I am a self-help book junkie, but I have read much more powerful and effective books.