5.0 out of 5 stars Writer's Block - GONE!, 6 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Creative Writer's Workbook: 4th edition: A Sourcebook for Releasing Your Creativity and Finding Your True Writer's Voice (Paperback)
I've only had this book a few days - an early Christmas present for which I think I will thank the giver for ever! After being stuck for over a year, I'm writing again and the words are flowing like they used to - only better. The shift began a few pages into the first chapter, because the author talks about writing as 'a way of life'. She encourages you to value yourself as a writer, to take care of yourself and nurture your talent. This helped me to feel I had something worth saving. Then I started on the exercises - and I was in another world! First there was some tuning in work, done in a semi-meditative state and I almost felt as if someone else had written what was on the page. After that some word 'games' which threw my mind from place to place so I could hardly keep up - and that's how the whole book works really. You come at the subconscious from all sorts of angles and find stuff you never knew was there. To cap it all, the author uses similarly creative ways to tackle the dreaded editing, so that even that task becomes intriguing and takes you down unexpected routes. Because of this book I'm writing again - and in ways I never have before. I would say, if you want to change your writing life, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and useful, 24 Dec 2008
This is a great book both for individual inspiration and for using in workshops. As a writer who also teaches writing, I have found its variety of exercises and suggestions invaluable. I particularly like the way it combines exercises for unblocking/freeing writing with careful attention to crafting and editing. The new edition has lots of additional material and the great cover makes it even more user-friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Creative Writer's Workbook, 7 Oct 2010
I have only read and completed the exercises up to page 59, but has been excellent for opening my mind to 'showing' rather than 'telling'. We are always being reminded by the experts to 'show' not 'tell', and this is proving to be a very useful book to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars To Inspire by being thorough, 26 Feb 2009
Antony Waley "Jonathan Waley" (Exeter, Devon. UK) - See all my reviews
The moment you pick up this book, you will be struck by a number of salient features: it is thorough, very well organised, and yet extremely easy to read. It is obviously the product of a great deal of experience, both in teaching writing and in working with personal factors such as Tuning In and Working with your Dreams (to paraphrase two chapter titles). Cathy Birch knows the business of writing inside out, and the whole book is packed with excellent ideas; these are backed up by small case-study examples, which show how the suggestions have worked out in practice with her students. It is all very thoroughly indexed, which enables both sequential reading/practising and jumping back and forth to re-visit particularly useful bits.

Anyone who is starting to either to write, or to teach others to write, will find this book invaluable.

Jonathan Waley

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent handbook to a new writer, 16 Nov 2011
This is proving invaluable as an aid to a writing fiction course I am doing with the Open University. A good buy!