5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on starting your own business I've read so far
This book has given me the inspiration and practical guidance I need to get my business up and running. I've been stalling for some time, but this book has been the only one I could find on the market to offer just the right combination of traditional business stuff and ideas, with more modern exercises to really incite action and get me inspired and moving forward! I...
Published on 23 Jun 2005 by Jennie Newton

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong on Web Marketing but weak on basic financial aspects
I read the e-book on Kindle.

1. Very positive points include the various tips on web marketing, social media and sales generally.

2. Positive points are the reasonably relevant quotes and experiences from people who have made it in business plus (some) motivational phrases peppered throughout the book.

3. Negative points include too...
Published on 26 July 2012 by AdmorTony

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and not all about facts - which is a good thing, 28 July 2010
Ms. Loes Vanderlaan "iamloes" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Small Business Start-Up Workbook: A Step-by-step Guide to Starting the Business You've Dreamed of (Paperback)
I'm about to start my own business and am in the research phase before kicking it all off. I've read a range of articles / books / websites about starting a small business and although they were very educational I found it hard to place these facts in my own frame of reference.
This book is not only very educational, more importantly it helps you work out your thoughts about the journey your about to embark on. It helps you clarify your future busines's statement and set-up but what I appreciate even more is that it also helps you identify your strengths and weaknesses within the scope of what you're about to do. This book helps you figure out YOUR thoughts about your business - which in the end, is the most important thing.

If you're looking for a flood of knowledge and data then you might want to purchase additional books, but this is the one for getting stuck in and get your head in the right place for starting a small business!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good helping hand, 21 Aug 2009
Cesar Almeida - See all my reviews
One of the best books on the subject, for sure. Simple, straightfoward, good examples, consistent and a good help to make you think and organize your ideas and plans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Guide to Starting a Business, 5 May 2010
I've been reading this book alongside another business start-up workbook, Start Your Own Business 2010, which is probably a little more up-to-date, but nevertheless the Small Business Start-up Workbook remains one of the staples for anyone (and I mean anyone) thinking about starting a business - practical, step-by-step and full of useful checklists and exercises to help would-be business owners. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and step by step easy to read!, 21 Feb 2013
Andrea (Berlin, Deutschland) - See all my reviews
As a german reader of this english book I am surprised, how easy it is for me as a no mothertongue english to understand.
I was selfemployed in the past and I failed! Then I had a long break and did never think I would want to be selfemployed again. This book made the difference for me. I can really say it is my bible and helped me trusting in myself again.
I recommend this book to every entrepreneur, especially those who have failed already and have the courage to restart and learn from old mistakes! Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, Positive, Inspiring and useful on a daily basis, 1 July 2012
Well Written, easy to use and feels great to put into practice the advice given. Ive used this book exactly as it suggests and worked through the exercises. I initally got it out from the library, and used it so much I bought it. I found planning and creating a website that works particularly useful, as it gave detailed points on how to set up from scratch. The case studies are fantastic, and reassuring to know its good to make mistakes!
If you are starting out or have been going for a few months, or you are just thinking about going into business, can highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - would be 5 stars but for my harsh marking, 16 April 2011
Workaholic - See all my reviews
I bought this back in 2006-7ish when I was a know-it-all fresh graduate. I read it then and understood hardly any of it. I shelfed it away somewhere and now fast forward 5 years, myself now having lived in the real business world and I somehow picked it up and started reading it again but with the additional 5 years of knowledge... well well well.. I started reading it and I was skimming it hoping to say "it's full of hot air" but how wrong was I!

This girl really does know what she's on about. Everything from business form, finance, accounts, staffing. It's all there. But oh hell it's took me 5 years of real world experience (or there abouts) to be on the same playing field as this writer. Oh I bet there's lots of 40 year old + reading this laughing at my review who can't remember when they went through this. But youngerns I hope this will help.

Only downside is it's very brief. Maybe that's a good thing maybe a bad thing and there are omissions (she couldn't include everything!) but I reckon you should look on business internet sites/forums to suppliment it (don't start buying loads of books that never helps no matter what the subject!).

Anyway hope this helps. Great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Small Business Advice ...., 1 April 2010
M. V. Parmley (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Thorough and comprehensive and just right for people committed in going into their own business. Only comment is that it's one of those books that is so intensive, you really need to read it twice to maximise the benefit of the information. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and instructive book, 10 Mar 2014
Mr. J. Ballard "Jazz Lover" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Definitely worth a read, although I'm only 27% through it on my Kindle. However, I have become sufficient enthused by what I've read to send my daughter a hardcopy version, figuring that it will help her evaluate future life options; not just now, but in the years ahead.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great summary of steps to be taken when starting a small company, 25 Oct 2013
I like this book since it provides a very simple structure not only about practical steps to be taken when starting the business but also the questions to ask yourself before starting the business. I can recommend the book to other readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Practical Workbook, 13 Oct 2013
I have read meany 'this is how I did it' kinds of business startup books. This beat them all in terms of practically taking me step-be-step through the process of getting ready to go to market.

I am almost ready - just a few things to tick of the list!