on 26 October 2009
I bought the Memory Map National Parks mapping along with a Garmin GPS as an intro to hand held GPS & computer mapping. I like the Garmin, I don't like Memory Map, which is a shame as they have a tight hold on the marketplace. Buy a GPS and the salesman has MM maps and will try to sell them.

I found the mapping software to be utterly infuriating, non intuitive and unfriendly. I expect some sort of a learning curve but any and all Windows conventions are ignored, so doing anything is an utterly frustrating experience. No doubt you learn in time :-( For example if you want open a route you might expect to use File, Open. No. It's "Overlay".

I joined Walkingworld to get access to routes on-line. All routes download with the same waypoint names. Daft but there you are. So you can renumber them before loading them into your GPS can't you? Yes. One at a time, manually, at about 3 keystrokes per waypoint. Grrr!!

Or - (and I swear I am nothing to do with this company) you could use Mapyx Quo. The maps are significantly cheaper, the software is much more Windows compliant and easy to use. Don't get me wrong, there's a learning curve, but no more than you would expect. And support is really good if you need advice. You want to renumber those waypoints mentioned above? Easy. Set a prefix, say "Helvellyn" followed by %N and it's done. Your Helvellyn points don't get tangled with your Coniston points. Easy. Try the free download, which includes maps to practice on (very useful if you're going to the Peak Ditrict - hint!) before you spend money on MM.

John
on 2 February 2010
I was surprised at how good this is. I live in the South so bought National Parks for when I'm away from home and Southern England for the rest of the time. I have had a great deal of navigation experience and have found this easy to use and huge saving in time. I can produce routes in 10 minutes that would have taken all afternoon with a map, roamer and compass. In addition I now have access to OS mapping which on paper would have cost hundreds of pounds.
on 7 November 2010
Dear Readrer,

I bought this item with a view to testing the useability of this product in a walking environment and found it adequate in its use. I would have prefered a more detailed mapping environment and so I will be looking towards a 1:25000 scale solution.

For casual use in the area the product is fine.
on 31 December 2009
The maps are os maps so you can't really go wrong, except that Memory Map are expensive compared to other vendors. The MM software though is designed to drive you to distraction.

If you're not already committed to MM, look at the competition. Better software is available and cheaper maps.

Update May 2012 - take a look at the OS Getamap website
[...]

it probably does everything you need and it offers full access to 50k AND 25k maps at a very reasonable price.

JH
on 17 March 2012
Great product, fantastic seller. Updated to latest software when registering product. Works very well with windows 7. I use this product with my Garmin etrex h.
on 2 May 2015
Couldn't use. Because when buying second hand product is registered to original purchaser so you need not only code but user name
on 13 August 2010
Super product, haven't used its full functionality yet, and probably never will, but very impressed so far.
on 30 November 2010
Despite the claim, This software does NOT install on windows 98. So that's it, one coaster for sale.

Explanation - I run my windows stuff on a linux box running win9x software under win4lin.)