5.0 out of 5 stars How the Iron Cross is Won.
Published on 15 Aug 2009 by Bob Salter

3.0 out of 5 stars Good background but sometimes the directions are unclear
The directions in this National Trail guide are not as clear as the ones in the two others I have used (Thames Path, Hadrian's Wall Path). This isn't helped by a lack of signage in vital places along the route (for which I do not blame this book). Still, I know of no other better guide out there for this route. Good background info, too.
Published on 29 July 2007 by Greshon

5.0 out of 5 stars How the Iron Cross is Won., 15 Aug 2009
Bob Salter "Captain Spindrift" (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I recently walked the Cotswold Way from Chipping Campden to Bath. Together with my wife we did this in five days. An achievement of which we are both proud. Averaging around 20 miles a day stretched us to our physical limits. It is a serious undertaking which I gravely underestimated to our cost. The route follows the western scarp of the Cotswolds and takes in many glorious views. To do this it meanders up and down some seriously steep hills. We came back exhausted. I had no idea it would be that tough. Looking at the contours on a map is one thing, but slugging up Wistley Hill with a full backpack is quite another. The usual and more sensible options are to do the trail in 7 to 8 days which allows more time to stop and take in the sights. Most people tend to do it in small stages over a time period that suits them. Some lunatics even run it non stop.

However you wish to do the walk this little book is excellent. It was in my hand for the entire trip. I did get lost a couple of times but that was purely down to me being an idiot. The book is simple to follow for any map reader with the trail clearly marked. There is also an accompanying text which gives you interesting facts about the places you pass through. If you are thinking of deviating from the route to cut out a certain section, then a more detailed map might also be useful. Beware of the areas around Cleeve Common and Coopers Hill where I managed to get lost.

The area is extremely beautiful and the route has breathtaking views throughout. Although I have seen many places around the world this seemed to be the most authentic journey I have ever undertaken. It felt like I was following in the footsteps of Daniel Defoe. A true traveller at last and not the eternal tourist. A friend joined us on the last day and a half. I reminded him of a scene fron Sam Peckinpah's powerful anti war film "Cross of Iron". James Coburn playing the part of the grizzled and disillusioned veteran Steiner clashes with his superior officer Stransky a Prussian aristocrat played by Maximillian Schell. Stransky covets the iron cross which Steiner has won. At the end of the film Steiner leads Stransky out onto the battlefield against the overwhelming Russian tide to show him how the cross of iron is won. On the last day I quoted this to my friend who saw the funny side thankfully. The walk is an experience not to be missed, and a big thanks to those volunteers who keep it maintained. The Cotswold Way section of the National trails website is very useful, with details of accommodation on the route. The B & Bs were excellent and much needed. I would highly recommend you use this book if contemplating this walk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Publication for walking North to South, 11 May 2010
JonR (Kettering, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for anyone walking the whole or part of the Cotswold Way. Contains explicit route instructions, with OS maps printed for the relevant part of the route on a facing page, as well as descibing interesting places and views along the way. A user friendly size with a weatherproof cover, although be aware that it only describes the route from Chipping Campden to Bath. It would be quite difficult to use backwards; south to north I would imagine. Having just completed the whole trail, it is also worth noting that the route is incredibly well signposted and waymarked, so the book was more valuable in the preparation stages of our walk, and we only used it occasionally for reference on the walk itself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good background but sometimes the directions are unclear, 29 July 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep it in your hand at all times, 28 May 2012
J. roberts - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cotswold Way (National Trail Guides) (Paperback)
Anthony Burton makes two important points in his introduction. firstly not to understimate the Cotswold Way - this is a tough walk and needs a very good level of walking fitness and comfortable boots. Also that you need to be able to use map and compass. The route is very well signposted, but I walked with this excellent guide in one hand and my compass in the other. The great advantage of this book is that each map on the right hand page is an OS 1:25,000 scale, so you can use your compass easily without having to get large maps out. The guide is full of useful and interesting information about the country and towns/villages you pass through. I would recommend it wholeheartedly. Do not do the Cotswold Way without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right book for walking the Cotswold Way, 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: Cotswold Way (National Trail Guides) (Paperback)
Cotswold Way National Trail Guide was just the right book to take on this sometimes challenging walk. This book is easy to follow with all of the trail very clearly marked. From beginning to end this trail provides stunning views and each stage of the journey is described in the book's text which makes for a very complete experience. I highly recommend this book.
Diz White, Author: COTSWOLDS MEMOIR: Discovering a Beautiful Region of Britain on a Quest to Buy a 17th Century Cottage (Available on Amazon)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cotswold Way Guide by Anthony Burton, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Cotswold Way (National Trail Guides) (Paperback)
A first rate guide to use in planning this superb long distance walk. Loads of information and excellent maps. The distance charts at the front are particularly helpful and give you extra flexibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars another good book, 29 Sep 2013
This review is from: Cotswold Way (National Trail Guides) (Paperback)
Arrived early ..was new ..was very well priced ..walked with it last week ..a good outcome ..will buy from them again

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 2 July 2013
Hello Amazon!

This book was very helpful to us on our walk. We can recommend it.
The only thing we could wish for was a more clear version of the overview map in the beginning of the book.
Thank you!

Best wishes
Susanne Midtiby

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential piece of kit for walking the Cotswold Way, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Cotswold Way (National Trail Guides) (Paperback)
I looked around for books, maps, guides and all over the internet whilst planning my walk and camp of the way and this book was invaluable.

It contains OS map coverage of the entire route (split into route sections on seperate pages all with high detail explanations) that include the 'traditional' route and some alternatives that you may want to take. I found it particularly useful the way they split it up into sections as it gave me a starting point for planning my route and advice on tricky bits.

In the end I didn't even take a map of the walk - just this book and some maps I had printed of on Google of my daily sections (incase I needed to 'escape' to a road somewhere) and my geocaching kit.

The way is very well signposted and a couple of times I did go wrong I worked it out by consulting the gradient lines on the OS maps in the book (i.e I was going down and should have been going up!)

One thing this book doesn't contain is a lot of information on accomodation, you will have to do some digging around in other books/online - especially if you're planning on camping!

5.0 out of 5 stars cotswold way, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Cotswold Way (National Trail Guides) (Paperback)
a great help for my husband who has been inspired enough to get planning routes and booking B&Bs ready for the challenge of the walk

Cotswold Way (National Trail Guides)
Cotswold Way (National Trail Guides) by Anthony Burton (Paperback - 1 April 2012)