‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and packed with practical, effective content, 15 Dec 2010
This review is from: Everything You Need To Know About DJ'ing & Success: Danny Rampling shares his 20 years experience at the top (Hardcover)
I have to say that I am extremely impressed! I bought this book thinking it was going to be one thing and after reading it have to say it wasn't what I was initially expecting. However, it has superceeded my expectations. The first section of the book delves deep into the technical aspects of DJ'ing right from the basics through to advanced - covering radio, promotion, pitfalls to avoid, tips to set yourself apart and great insight into legals, financials and useful little check lists.

It was section 2 that surprised me - and this is where I think this book may really make a big difference and where it offers something unique in relation to the other books I've read in this field (including Bill Brewster's recommended How To DJ Properly). Rampling covers a whole range of 'life skills' - tips and techniques that one can apply in their life whatever their 'walk' to help them achieve more. Whilst I found myself thinking that many of the points were 'common sense' I realised that they weren't 'common practice' - myself not doing many of them. I've personally already seen improvements in my relationships and outlook since implementing just 2 of the tips and I've barely started on the suggestions!

Section 3's stacked full of what must be hundreds upon hundreds of bonus resources, links and specialist DJ charts. 17 sections worth. I haven't even got into that section yet but it looks conclusive!

I've also still yet to watch the 4 hour DVD which is included - where Rampling interviews industry figureheads such as Pete Tong, Joey Negro & David Morales. So much to get through still.

If there's one negative, I'd have liked a few more photos throughout and the insighful, useful content interspersed with more of his own personal anecdotes for which the dance industry is renowned. Maybe that will be in a follow up or second edition!

I used to listen to Danny Rampling when I was growing up - initially on Kiss FM then on his Love Groove Dance Party BBC Radio 1 show and I have to say I always enjoyed and appreciated his spirit of giving. This book really drives home how much he wants to share his life experience as fully as possible to help others and although I've not finished it all yet I've more than had my moneys worth already.

5.0 out of 5 stars all round great, 7 April 2011
J. Simmons (London) - See all my reviews
This book is well structured, weighted with industry expert knowledge and reads very well. I particularly like the Success aspect which I feel postitively differentiates it from other DJ books I have read out there. Practical sound advice through out, certainly would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 April 2011
I found this book a while ago and haven't been able to put it down since. It's really informative, clear and full of useful and helpful tips. If you're interested in Djing and Music, don't waste your money on any other books, buy this one instead, you won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any aspiring person, 16 Mar 2011
This is the new bible for DJ's, Producers or anyone who would like to be involved with the music industry. Not simply is it a great resource for DJs but it also explores the realms of living science. I am a musician and a DJ and was given this book by Danny himself and I have simply not been able to put it down. Learn from this man and the wealth of knowledge and his experience garnered over the last 20 years. A legend, a master, great ears and all round bloody good bloke. Big love to all contributors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book from a master, 11 Mar 2011
L. Jones "Lionel Jones" (London) - See all my reviews
I'm a great believer in modelling excellence.
I'm not a DJ but wanted to read the ultimate DJ book by a guy who has reached the top of his tree in his profession - Danny certainly has done that and his book is testament to this.
Packed full of information it has to be the first port of call for any budding DJ, if I had give a constructing comment it's that it almost has too much info.!
It's not just a great read but stands alone as an excellent reference book - it's a DJ encyclopaedia.
Section 2 on life skills and achievement is particularly valuable.
I'd say if you are a beginner or established DJ there is something in here for you.
Or if you are just curious about the DJ phenomenon and want to know what the fuss is all about - buy this book...

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Danny., 4 Mar 2011
Everything you need to know in one book. Its the most up to date I've read and is easy to follow and offers some amazing views and info.

5.0 out of 5 stars Danny Rampling DJ Book Review, 23 Feb 2011
A well produced book about Dj'ing!??? erm no! it's like a dj's life manual, it's well written, with excellent positive advice, some of the djing stuff is a little old skool in parts as im a digital dj, but overall a very very good well recommended read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutley Brilliant!!, 30 Jan 2011
WOW! I've been djing for a while but really needed some inspiration to take me to the next level. I was absolutely blown away the brilliant nuggets and timeless wisdom. Since reading the book I have now got more gigs and made lots more contacts. It simply gave me the confidence that I was lacking. Thank you Danny, you're a true legend! Cheers :-) Jeremiah

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - SO Many Great Tips & Insights, 5 Jan 2011
I got given this as a christmas present and just wanted to say it's brilliant. Like the other reviewers have said, there's so much content over three sections plus the bonus DVD. As Rampling states, a large part of his success has always been a result of getting around people who are getting the results you want and finding out what they're doing (a bit like watching Jamie Oliver or Ramsay showing you how they cook their grub). This book is like getting inside the heads of the leading DJ's & music professionals. It's packed with insightful ideas and most importantly, stuff you can apply straight away. He's obviously well connected and got many friends in the industry and this is reflected in the number of high level professional contributors who have 'chipped in' to supply all the content in their area of expertise. This deserves to be an industry standard text for music courses & dj colleges. And even for bedroom Dj's and older music enthusiasts such as myself it's a first class purchase. Have learnt so much. Good work Rampling & crew and thanks to the missus for a top present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book with much wisdom, 26 April 2011
I have worked in record shops, recording studios and clubs and I can safely say that this book deserves to be a standard text. It delivers masses of knowledge, not only on the subjects of Djing and production but also on the mindset and discipline essential to make a success of one's self in the music and performance industries.

Starting with a detailed technical section the book describes the hardware and techniques associated with a variety of DJing styles, using easy to understand diagrams. It goes on talk about the professional skills needed to promote one's self as a performer/musician, using many examples and directing to resources that give examples and provide services.

The following section provides guidance to improve one's motivation, time management and efficiency. There is a lot of wisdom in theses pages, which will help anyone who wishes to work towards a goal.

Then there are masses of bonus recourses from example playlists to contracts and contacts. The DVD is a great resource and gives a genuine insight into the experiences of world leading music industry professionals my favourite is the interview with Simon Dunmore, head of Defected Records.

All in all this is a great book and I wish I had this when I started to become interested in the music industry, it would also have been useful during my University course in Music and Sound Technology.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›