on 6 May 2012
I downloaded the kindle edition in order to help me check my own writing. It is, of course, exactly what it claims to be - an accurate guide to writing style and very 'Telegraph'. Be aware that by far the largest section of the book is glossary, and that in the kindle edition there is no way to move to the required letter of the alphabet quickly; it has to be moved through laboriously one page at a time. Note to publishers: could the glossary have indexing or 'chapter' marks for each letter please? Be aware also that it goes into great detail about the correct ways to refer in print to different kinds of people. Important if you're a journalist, but less so for the general writer.
I also feel that a price of over £9 is rather high. You can get a lot of kindle-book these days for that much money.
If you want a journalist's guide to writing, this is it. If, like me, you just want a guide to help you with more general work there will be a significant part of the book you may never use.
on 11 February 2011
I bought this book because I went to a talk given by Simon Heffer which I thoroughly enjoyed. He, like me, has problems with bad English as used by not only kids in the street, but also reporters and newsreaders on TV, and his talk wound me up as much as it entertained. For an insight on how we should, rather than do behave, have a read of this book.
on 17 January 2015
We gave this to a friend at Christmas, who had the previous Simon Heffer book on the English language.
It went down very well, even though we were watching our 'P's' & 'Q's'!!!
on 13 April 2011
As a Telegraph reader, I suppose I'm biased! However, this is an entertaining, funny book through which Telegraph style certainly shines! Not too sure about one or two of the 'no nos' but a good read and a book to keep for future reference!!
on 26 June 2013
Whilst I have found one or two items where I do not see eye to eye with Mr. Heffer, it is refreshing to be reminded of the art of writing. So often, we fall into the use of cliché, the unnecessary use of adjectives and, as for texting, at school many years ago, we used a similar system but only for the purpose of taking notes.

This book is for everyone who enjoys reading well-written English and seeks to maintain their skills in their own compositions.
on 18 September 2013
Very readable and enjoyable and authoritative; I now realise how "tainted" my everyday langauage was with "tabloid" expressions. I had only a few minor qibbles with the author's opinions.
on 5 May 2014
I'd say this book contains some useful tips but perhaps is not as comprehensive as The Times Style and Usage guide or Bryson's Dictionary for Writers and Editors, for example.
on 28 August 2011
Bought as a present. The definitive guide for journos, editors and the like. Very interesting also for the rest of us!
on 3 February 2013
A very interesting, amusing book. I enjoyed reading it and I sure others will, too. I would recommend it highly.
on 26 December 2015