4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, thoughtful and thought-provoking
This book is very readable, at times laugh-out-loud funny. It's thoroughly refreshing to read something that takes one beyond the usual cliches that surround Muslim women, and read about the genuine engagement of the author with her faith and culture(s). From the other side of the gender fence, many of her comments about the communities she writes about (Muslim and...
Published on 21 Feb. 2009 by english muslim reader

3.0 out of 5 stars A recommended read
I enjoyed this book, and I do recommend it. Shelina tells us of her search for Mr right, in the process she changes her priorities and matures, and abandons the daft dream of a prince charming who will dazzle her and sweep her off her feet. She realises that what she really needs is a companion, with whom to share her life. I laughed, and was angered by the situations she...
Published on 30 April 2009 by Loolsi

5.0 out of 5 stars Catchy title - great read!, 6 Dec. 2009
I enjoyed this book very much. Although the title was slightly misleading, the story was very well-written and as the reader, I shared her heartache in searching for 'The One'. I felt I could relate to alot of what Shelina wrote, coming from a similar asian background. However, it made me grateful I didn't have to go through as much hardship as Shelina did,to find my life-long partner. Thnigs were alot different 16 years ago!
The book gave me an understanding of how difficult it is in this day and age to find a spouse that fulfills ones requirements. I feel somewhat that, both men and women these days are too fussy? There really is no one person with all the perfect qualities and sometimes one has to compromise on some things. Believe me, there is no such thing as a perfect spouse - and I speak for myself here!
I thoroughly recomend this book to all - those searching and those already married. It is a great eye opener. It is being passed around my family up and down the country at the momment!

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite book, so proud to have this voice represent me, 2 Mar. 2009
I read this book in just a few days and it was absolutely amazing! It's exactly the kind of book we need in this day and age to represent the vast majority of unrepresented muslim women.

I greatly respect the author, the book was totally free of any cultural bias and opens our eyes to the double standards in asian society with men and women that have no place in Islam.
She reiterated so well, not only the importance of women and their status in Islam, but also their partaking and rights in finding their life partner and marriage.

I could relate to almost everything in this book not just as a british asian muslim woman, but just as a human being. Her story is really inspiring and beautifully honest and written with so much heartwarming humour. Definately one of my all time favourite books.

I recommend this to everyone, it was extremely insightful and i learnt alot. It breaks stereotypes and enlightens us on what educated muslim women are like today and how all women should be treated.
Thank you so much for this most brilliant book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 29 May 2015
This review is from: Love in a Headscarf: Muslim Woman Seeks The One (Paperback)
I really wanted to like this but I'm afraid to say it was NOT hilarious. It was not entertaining and the overwhelming impression I got was of the author's smugness. I don't understand the five star reviews at all. I had to miss out relentless huge chunks of boring droning passages that went nowhere but I give one star for the scene at the coffee shop with the broken cookie. Just not witty or captivating and definitely not a page turner. More like a very long winded justification of the headscarf. And frankly anyone who keeps going on about how beautiful and incredibly intelligent they are well that's bound to be irritating. It annoyed me any way. Maybe other readers don't mind that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 26 Sept. 2009
Sophia DaRosa (Worcester, England) - See all my reviews
As a fellow muslim woman and a full-time Hijab wearer I loved this book. I fully understood Mrs Janmohameds trials and tribulations and her annoyance wiht people not understand that just because you were a Hijab does not mean you have either a) hidden a bomb underneath it or b) is oppressed. I love my Hijab, I wear it because I want to and feel naked without it.

Its a good and educational read for anyone who wants to learn more about Islam. Also its entertaining and it keeps you hanging on the pages, cheering for Mrs Janmohamed to find the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Its was exciting, funny and very relatable., 6 Feb. 2013
Great lessons learned.

Okay this book will take you on a journey, that we all will once go on, or have been on.
We all search for the one, the prince charming and he doesn't always come when we expect him to.
I learned patience from this. Shelina is a practicing Muslim women living in London looking for Mr right but the Islamic way.
This will give you insight into a actual muslim women's life not the one media portraits :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Delivery and great book!, 1 Jan. 2013
I ordered this book on 4 day delivery, but it turned up 1 day later! I'm half way through the book already and Mashaa'allah it might look like any other fictional book but there are so many beautiful life lesson Muslimah's (and non-Muslims) can gain from this. I would urge anyone to get their copy! =D

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written book, 30 July 2009
I thought the book title was odd and I wasn't holding high expectations of the contents. Curiosity made me start the book but once I had got to the bottom of the first page - I was hooked. The book has a rare balance of humour, reality and philosophy combined with a fascinating story. I found myself laughing aloud at some hilariously written observations about Asian culture and yet also pondering the philosophical interpretation of the world around us. The author manages to do all this without preaching her own views which is remarkably refreshing.
A really well written book which is hugely entertaining and thought-provoking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - MUST READ BOOK - Excellet, 16 Mar. 2009
This is a full detail book of muslim women, after reading this book, it helps understand how a muslim women feels. Read it and you will understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shelina's Love in a Headscarf search for the 'one' was a ..., 15 Dec. 2014
Shelina's Love in a Headscarf search for the 'one' was a journey discovering oneself. The ending of the book made me smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book, 3 April 2013
A very nice book on the topic of finding a match to marry in west. The difficulties and ordeals are so relatable.

Love in a Headscarf: Muslim Woman Seeks The One
Love in a Headscarf: Muslim Woman Seeks The One by Shelina Zahra Janmohamed (Paperback - 20 Mar. 2014)