5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, could not put it down!
This book is very well written and kept me entertained. Shelina's quest to find her true love goes through hurdles that are easy to empathise with being a British Asian Muslim and utterly believable. I read from page 45 until the end in one night.

Published on 19 Feb 2009 by z.

3.0 out of 5 stars A recommended read
Published on 30 April 2009 by Loolsi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, could not put it down!, 19 Feb 2009
z. (London, UK) - See all my reviews

The whole process of "arranged" marriages deserves airing because most people think arranged means someone else chooses your spouse and you just agree. This is in fact not the case and Shelina's book gives a great insight into the process and how it works. Ultimately the choice is with the bride and groom and noone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab your cappuccino & cookies!, 18 Feb 2009
I think I have found "The One" - I have fallen in love with this book! "Love in a Headscarf" is totally irresistable. I smiled, I giggled, I laughed, I cried, I gasped and nodded in agreement & recognition. Shelina has told "our" story - the story of the un-oppressed, queuing up at Starbucks, sitting next to you at the movie, sharing your office, walking past you in the street British, Asian, Muslim women who are so often ignored or mis-represented in literature today. It's the story of our real lives, our hopes and dreams, oh, and it's also the story of all the frogs we kiss en route to finally meeting our Prince Charming (who may, or may not, turn out to be John Travolta!). I urge you to read this positive and uplifting tale - with or without the cappuccino and cookies recommended by the author!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, thoughtful and thought-provoking, 21 Feb 2009
This book is very readable, at times laugh-out-loud funny. It's thoroughly refreshing to read something that takes one beyond the usual cliches that surround Muslim women, and read about the genuine engagement of the author with her faith and culture(s). From the other side of the gender fence, many of her comments about the communities she writes about (Muslim and British) ring true, even if young Muslim men do come off pretty badly in some ways. That's because it's definitely not a man-bashing book, and the critique and thoughts the author advances are directed as much toward herself as anyone else. As a Muslim not brought up in a Muslim family, I would guess this would make a very good read for anyone interesting in learning about the human side of daily Muslim life without the politicised stuff that normally obscures it. It also makes good reading for any Muslim of whatever stripe who wants to be provoked to think about some important aspects of the fundamental rhythms and textures of our community - where they've come from and where they might need to go.

3.0 out of 5 stars A recommended read, 30 April 2009
I enjoyed this book, and I do recommend it. Shelina tells us of her search for Mr right, in the process she changes her priorities and matures, and abandons the daft dream of a prince charming who will dazzle her and sweep her off her feet. She realises that what she really needs is a companion, with whom to share her life. I laughed, and was angered by the situations she encountered. I enjoyed the fact that Shelina was not a damsel in a tower awaiting the man to rescue her, nor was she a pawn in the hands of the matchmakers, she was actively seeking HIM, and I always enjoy narratives of empowered women. I would have given the book a much higher rating if not for two things, Shelina does tend to pontificate a bit, and I felt that considering the nature of the story (its one of self discovery) it lacked emotion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, 1 Mar 2009
L. Ali (London) - See all my reviews
At a time when most of the perceptions of Muslim women are shaped by stories that are not their own, this is a superb, engaging and very generous insight into their world shared by one of its most eloquent storytellers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a book that I can relate to!, 22 Feb 2009
I found the book really enjoyable and at times felt like I could really relate - thanks for an uplifting and positive read - we need more like this!

3.0 out of 5 stars More like a long essay than a romantic comedy, 18 May 2010
When I heard about this book I was really excited to read it. It was about a British Asian Muslim looking for love.

I have mixed reviews:
The parts in which she tells her story are amusing. However I feel as though she has filled most of the book with philisopical notions which isn't what I was interested in reading. I also didn't like the way in which she would tell her story and then change to a totally differnt scene which sounded like an glorified essay on love. Honestly I skipped large chunks so I could get to the parts about her story and to find out who she ends up marrying! I did feel like the ending was also a bit of an anti-climax!
The reason why I gave it 3 stars is because I could relate to parts of it and I found some of it very funny especially the part where she is waiting for the guy in the coffee shop for 3 hours while he was watching cricket! There is also very few books written by Asian Muslims and I would encourage her to write some more but focus more on her writing techniques to make a "story" rather than focus on the english essays which she has written in oxford.

All in all, if your muslim living in the west its well worth a read!

:D

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and entertaining, 15 Feb 2009
Sha (London, UK/San Francisco, USA) - See all my reviews
I read Shelina's blog and her contributions to the Guardian regularly. This is the highly entertaining and personal story about her quest to find 'The One'. It really gives you a further insight into the background of this articulate and talented young woman. Nicely written and very compelling - I could not put it down. A fun memoir from an often overlooked perspective - a very welcome change from writings from the 'repressed Muslim woman' and 'Muslim rebel' camps, which are rather too represented in contemporary writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing..., 11 Aug 2010
This book was a refreshing view from a Muslim perspective, but I think that's the sole reason I would recommend it. In the first maybe 75, 100 pages, (if you're a Muslim [woman]), you'll be nodding your head in approval, and laughing at how Arab culture clashes with religion. Then after that, it just kind of goes downhill. I think what annoyed me the most was the fact that the back of the book implied that this was mainly going to focus on how she was looking for a husband though arranged marriage, when in fact somewhere in the middle she stopped the "arranged marriage" search completely and began dating (and, at one point, online dating and SPEED dating)! As a Muslim, I was shocked. Two people cannot, by any means, dine alone in a restaurant to get to know each other. Dating is not allowed in Islam (unless you have a family member with you, then it wouldn't really be considered dating, would it). Truth be told, I felt extremely disappointed and a little tricked, because I thought the whole point of the book was to find a husband the "Islamic" way without the forbidden ways (such as dating).
The writing itself was no more than average, definitely not up to par with some of the other books I had been reading before it. The main character becomes whiny towards the middle, focusing on ANY minor flaw in her potential suitors. There was one who played a joke on her when they were meeting for the first time (a VERY minor one) which I personally found funny, but she became angry...eh. And when she talked about becoming closer to God, I felt like she was being repetitive and honestly, not helpful.
I don't mean to sound negative and critical, but that's just my take on the book (and I have a friend who was even MORE frustrated with the book than I was). There were definitely some great ideas and funny sarcasm, and I thought that her point of view on 9/11 was really interesting, but by the time I got to the end of the book, I was a little frustrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've read!!!, 16 Feb 2010
I bought this book in June last year but it stayed on my shelf for a long time before I actually got to reading it...I was going away last saturday and started reading it at the airport; I could not put it down. I read the whole thing in a matter of hours and could relate to most of the things in the book!

It has inspired me to carry on, to be myself and to seek the love of Allah before seeking human love and has reinforced my belief that it does not matter what people around you think as long as you are true to your Creator!

My mom and sister read it before me and I left it with my friend in Luxembourg before coming back home :) MashaAllah a fantastic read full of everything including plenty of humour!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Love in a Headscarf: Muslim Woman Seeks The One
Love in a Headscarf: Muslim Woman Seeks The One by Shelina Zahra Janmohamed (Paperback - 20 Mar 2014)
5.59