on 14 February 2014
The 2014 edition is a disappointment compared to the previous editions. It is a new printing office responsible for this edition and most of the text and photos have been photocopied from the 2010 edtion. The quality of these photocopies are very bad. Some of the pages are nearly unreadable, and also poor quality of the photos in the book. I have not studied the entire book, but there might be several errors in the book caused by the photocopying of pages. Example: In Chapter 14 Ski-Jumping (page 307/308) the results of the 1988 competition in Calgary have been omitted. Further, the text connected to the 1984 competition belongs to the omitted 1988 results.
on 12 February 2014
Every four years, along with the games themselves, I look forward to the Complete Book of the Olympics. The text and research by Wallechinsky and Loucky is well written and refreshingly non-partisan. I have never previously been disappointed with an edition of either the Summer or the Winter book - until now. I was shocked when I opened this latest edition of the Complete Book of the Winter Olympics. The printing quality is exceptionally poor, rendering many of the results and some of the text ineligible. In other places the typeface suddenly changes in size for no apparent reason, giving many pages the appearance of a ransom note. The best that can be said is that it looks amateurish - but of course I paid good money for it. Of the image chosen for the front cover - a bizarre choice at best - the less said the better. I presume the book was proofed before it was submitted for printing, although how on earth it was considered to be of sufficient quality to be sold to the public is anyone's guess.
on 6 January 2010
This is a beautiful book: all you want to know about the Olympics
yuo have it!!
I know and I have bought this edition from 20 years (included Summer Olympics Games editions) and I have always a complete satisfaction: perfection of dates , precision of terms and times, names of the medallist participants, medals of all the games included the discountinue events. It's a must for maniacs of Olympic games.
on 6 March 2014
As others have said, past versions of this book ghave been superb, this just looks as though it's been thrown together after a night on the beer. In consistent type, misaligned stories and results, events missing., smudged photographs and terrible proof reading. This is a disgrace to one of the best series of sporting almanacs.
on 13 March 2014
As noted by others, the definitive Olympic winter handbook has been ruined for the first time since it was introduced in 1984 by dire and inconsistent printing and use of typeface
on 31 March 2014
I have all of this excellent series of Winter Olympics books by Wallechinsky and this is another superbly researched and written record. It deserves more care in the way the publishers present it though. Many of the photos are poorly reproduced and the choice and size of typeface used for tabulated results is almost unreadable at times.
on 21 September 2011
This book has brought my crossword library up-to-date. It also helpd me to remember things that I have seen over many years.
on 28 August 2014
An excellent book of stats etc for those who like me love stats. Useful and informative little articles accompany.