5.0 out of 5 stars "The Last Word from the Top Companion"
I'm pleased to say that this is a great read. To be honest, if I hadn't enjoyed it, then I probably wouldn't have bothered with a review. I would have felt bad writing a negative one but fortunately I don't have to consider that.
Like all good autobiographies, it's got a good conversational style which the afterword by her family comfirms very much has her turn of...
Published on 15 Nov 2011 by Bob Marlowe

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh I feel such a traitor but...!
Let me first say that I adored Sarah Jane & Elisabeth Sladen (indeed, as a child, I was shocked to learn that they are actually two separate people!) However, this book has been a bit of a personal disappointment to me as Elisabeth doesn't come across as the person I thought she was.
As another reviewer mentioned, she is very catty - bitchy at times - about people...
Published 19 months ago by Kelly A19

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of a Kind, 14 Jan 2012
Greystone (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
Like the Barry Letts Bio this is such an easy book to read. I raced through this volume and found plenty of new information within its pages that, despite being a lifelong fan, was new and interesting. She's was such a nice person too, not totally without flaws but who amongst us is? I found it so interesting that she prefered to work with Tom than Jon, and yet after Who became closer in many ways to Jon than Tom.

There are plenty of stories like this I'm not going to relate any more for fear of spoiling the read, and the read is so well worth it.

Barry Letts and Lis Sladen will always remain in my thoughts; just as their respective books will remain side by side on my bookshelf.

Two of the very best. RIP.

5.0 out of 5 stars heartwarming life of a genuine person, 9 Jan 2012
John Hopper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
The death of Elisabeth Sladen in April 2011 was one of the few instances where I have felt personally upset and very moved at the passing away of someone from the worlds of TV or film. She seemed so relatively young and alive and reaching new heights in a tremendous new Doctor Who-related career in the Sarah Jane Adventures decades after she was in the main show; her death was a complete bolt out of the blue as it was not known she was ill. She was a big part of my childhood and a part of my adulthood too. This autobiography is very human and shows her to be such a strong contrast to the egotistic celebrities that so often fill our TV screens so less deservedly. She will be sorely missed by me and many others. Thanks to my wife for giving me this book for Christmas. 5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories, 23 Dec 2011
This review is from: Elisabeth Sladen (Kindle Edition)
A fascinating read displaying a very readable and enjoyable style. Elisabeth, you had another career in writing ahead of you! A very enjoyable book, shame the Kindle edition omits the photos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 24 Dec 2014
Only really covers the Dr Who

4.0 out of 5 stars The Story of Sarah Jane, 25 Jan 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Clocking in at 12 CDs long, this is more material than I normally listen to in audiobook form. However, as a Dr Who fan I found the story of Ms. Sladen's life to be compelling and enjoyable. That she had a second bite of the Gallifreyan cherry through her own spin off show on CBBC is a testament to the enduring strength of the character she was most famous for playing. My own favourite Who years are the Pertwee and T. Baker years and these are well catered for with plenty of insight from Sladen's point of view. I'm a big fan of Pertwee and it was refreshing to hear how it actually was to work with him, with no sugar coating. Well worth a read and if you have the time, well worth listening to this unabridged narration.

5.0 out of 5 stars TILL THE END OF TIME, 14 Dec 2011
John Hogg "hoggy" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
JUST STARTED READING IT AND ITS HARD TO PUT DOWN,AS YOUNGER FAN AT HE TIME WE ONLY KNOW THE SARAH JANE FORM DR WHO,NOW READING THE BOOK YOU GET TO KNOW ELIZABETH,ITS HARD TO THINK THAT SHE WOULD NOT BE HERE FOR THE LAUNCH OF THE BOOK, HOW SAD THAT ONLY TWO WEEKS AFTER NICOLAS COURTNEY PASSED ON,THAT SARAH WOULD FOLLOW SHORTLY AFTER,I REMEMBER WELL THE TIME WARRIOR WHEN DR WHO WAS AT AN END OF AN ERA, JON WAS LEAVING THAT SEASON, AS WAS MANY OTHERS,JOE GRANT HAD LEFT THE DR IN THE PREV SEASON, AND SO ENTERED SARAH JANE WHO WOULD SATY WITH THE DR THORUGH HIS REGENERATION TO TOM BAKER, HOW TIME PASSES, THIS BOOK IS A WINDOW IN TO THE LIFE AND TIME OF ELIZABETH,AND WE FIND MANY FUNNY STORIES AND SNIPITS OF LOST INFORMATION,TRUALY A BOOK MANY FANS WILL ENJOY READING AND SHARING IN THE CLASSIC DR WHO TALES OF A TIME LONG GONE PAST.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elisabeth sladen, 13 Dec 2011
This review is from: Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
This is a must read book. for all people who loved 'sara jane' its full of little stories and how she got to travel in the tardis. its also a lovely way to get to know the real Elisabeth. i found it a lovely heart warming read. but sad thats shes not here to see how much we all enjoyed it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth Sladen autobiography, 9 Dec 2011
This review is from: Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
A Fantastic book written by the late Elizabeth Sladen telling her life story. A must for any Dr Who fan Elizabeth tells us all about her time playing Sarah Jane Smith with two Doctors Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, she also tells us about coming back to Who to star in her own spin off shows "K9 & Company" & "The Sarah Jane Adventures" starring alongside David Tennant & Matt Smith. For non Who Fans Elisabeth also tells about her time on Coronation Street & Some Mothers Do Have Em to name but a few. An excellent read for anybody who enjoys Bio's and of course a must have for any Who fan

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 4 Oct 2014
satified

1.0 out of 5 stars Uninteresting And Badly Written, 18 April 2013
pmov (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography (Hardcover)
I feel like a heretic writing this (and I realise I'm in the minority) but did I read the same book as everyone else?

If we can just park to one side Elisabeth Sladen's sad premature death and the delight she brought to many (myself included) in her role as Sarah Jane Smith, the sad truth is the author possesses neither the raconteur wit nor the writing skills required to make this kind of thing interesting. She seems to have nothing remarkable to say and simply strings together a collection of superficial anecdotes in the least interesting way possible.

There is no nuance in what she is saying, little comment or analysis on what happens and no depth beneath the luvvie stories trotted out in strict chronological order. The grammar and writing style is poor and the annoyingly excessive use of exclamation marks everywhere felt very childish and had me wondering whether the book had just been poorly marketed and was really aimed at children or undemanding teenagers.

Elisabeth Sladen worked on Doctor Who during what was arguably it's peak period. Against such a rich background, it's unforgivable this is so dull. She is undoubtedly a sorely missed TV presence but this is a by-the-numbers join-the-dots exercise in tedium.

They say you should never meet your idols - you're bound to be disappointed. Maybe you shouldn't read their autobiographies either.

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography
Elisabeth Sladen: The Autobiography by Elisabeth Sladen (Hardcover - 25 April 2012)
Used & New from: £0.01